Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ok you old timers

Chris.L

I lost meh trig book bout 15 years ago frown.gif

Bout the time I started using the ' headscratch.gifbiggrin.gif puter

Seeing those pages sure brings back memories though thanks, Rickster cheers.gif

Mold making used to be real fun, we got to operate all kinds of neat gizmo's to do our job...

Someone ought to write all that stuff down before it is forgotton....

That page is probably familiar to many "old-timers"!. Right out of the Illinois Tool Works trig tables booklet. I've been retired for four years now and I still have my original book dated 1965. The foreman would always hand these out when you first started your apprenticeship. With computers now, nobody does it "manually" anymore. It IS kinda sad. frown.gif

quote:

The foreman would always hand these out when you first started your apprenticeship

What's an apprenticeship? headscratch.gif

My Dad's first project in his apprenticeship program was to take a rough square of 17-4, and a box (literally 100's ) of files, and file this to a ball bearing, with a profile tol of .06 eek.gif

He said it took 3 wks to achieve. banghead.gif

One of my old bosses had to machine a 3" x 3"

block of steel.

His teacher beat the crap out of it with a

large ball peen hammer. Then told him to file it

back to a perfectly square cube.

If it was not to his likeing he bashed it up again

If the cube ended up being smaller than 1 x 1.

ya had to start over untill you perfected the

cube.

They should bring that back to the schools.

The Machinist course I took in the Marnines had

some good stuff. If you took your hand off the chuck key while it was in the lathe's three jaw chuck, the instructor would throw it way out into

a grassy field behind the shop.

Then you had to go find it... carrying 150 pounds

of toolbox. eek.gif

If you set the toolbox down before you got back

with the key, you got to do it again... and again ... and again. You only left the key in the chuck once.

biggrin.gif

Is this just in Canada?

when I was an apprentice...

leaving a chuck key in the lathe and walking

away cost you a '12 pack of beer.'

The journeyman would send you imeadiatly. if

it were before 11 am then thats when you went.

We would all share them at the picknick table

behind the shop,(out of public view)

(sometimes the owner joined us)

some fridays we would forget on purpose biggrin.gif

J-men never bought beer unless we were at the

pub. wink.gif

quote:

They separated the talent this way

True Rickser.....

How many of you out there have a shop full of machinists that can truly run a jig bore (to .00005), a surface grinder, ID/OD grinder, custom grind edges on their tools (by hand on a pedestal grinder), know how hard to HT A2, etc, etc.

The pool of REAL machinists has become-for all practical purposes.......NIL!

As my dad used to say, "if there is a machine in my shop you can't setup and run, then you are just an operator. Do not dilute the word "Machinist" with your lack of talent" eek.gif

The first time he told me that, I was 14, learning a DeVlieg jig bore.

They just threw out the 'power hacksaw' when I

started.

I used to mold prototype torque converters.

The blades were an elaborate 'Panograph' setup.

patterns and stylus' were 4:1

18 blade, ring seal off sections, fixture had the

location dowel, the rings that fit in to the mold

had 18 concentric dowel locations.

Bout 3weeks to finish(no flash seal off)

Today both mating rings 3HRS on the CNC

I remember cutting internal keyways on a shaper before. You ever seen a bridgeport laid over at 90 degree and fly cutter put in the bore to cut the inside of a babbit bearing to create the correct spherical radius needed. I was teaching some guy 20 years older than me how to create a big radius with a fly cutter just by tilting the head a couple degrees to make a bending die for sheet metal. Just yesterday was showing a guy how to cheat a part using shim at the center to get a part to run true after heat treat on a critical diameter to be finished machined.

Back when I came through school I got my lunch money every week by sharping everyone lathe and mill tools on the grinders. $1 a tool was what I charge and would get $20 to$30 a week. The 1st thing we had to do was take a hacksaw and cut off a piece of 1" square stock and make a perfect 1" block by hand with a file, machinist square and sandpaper to a 16 finish. I think it took 2 weeks to finish. We would have to make all types of things by hand. My Dad still has the 5 point star I did laid out by hand and cut out with a hacksaw and all finished with files and sandpaper to a 16 finish.

WE had to cut right and and left hand threads at 4 different diameters to shoulders, level a 16' conventional lathe which no one was able to do for 5 years before I went to school. Teacher was impressed when I took the others students blocks and shims pulled them all out and started from scratch. I think it took me about a week, but it was .0002 per foot taking the cross slide all the way down the machine which most people do not even know is the right way to level a long machine. Most people do spots on a long machine, but on a long lathe the cross slide is what needs to be level over the distance of the machine.

How many know to put the compound slide at 1-1/2 degrees to get .0001 adjustment on diameters when turning? I have seen guys struggle with the concepts of cutting threads by feeding in the compound slide at 29.5 degree to standard threads and 14.5 degrees for acme threads. How about mounting the threading tool upside down and cutting with the spindle in reverse to cut threads right up to a shoulder without running the risk of hitting the shoulder since you are cutting the threads away from the shoulder and still making right hand threads?

Old schools is only old school only if you ever knew what the old school way was. wink.gifwink.gif

This thread rocks. I've been programming CNC mills for 10 years and have learned more from this thread than I have in a long time. You "old timers" are crazy.

I don't even know what a jig bore is, never seen an od/id grinder, saw my first blanchard grinder a couple years ago, practically never touch manual mills or lathes. I think I have cut threads on a lathe twice, never grind tools, can't sharpen a drill unless it's with a darex or drill doctor.

Actually I'm embarrassed to even post this, but had to give credit to the guys that really know what they're doing smile.gif