Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

V7 INTO XMR1

DavidB

• 4 months later...

I'm disapointed that MC doesnt read in its older file formats. I still have some MC7 and GE3 files that I might need.

With my new computer I dont have the older Mastercam versions installed, just X2 (SP1, MR1, MR2). Would there be a problem if I installed V9 now? Would it overwrite some system files that X2 uses?

Or is there a Chook out there that will bring in the geometry from the older files in to the current version of Mastercam?

The older releases become a support issue. I don't have a DOS box here to be able to support the real old stuff. I don't even have a system here in the office that runs Win 98. Thats where everything is being driven by. Old software = old hardware typically. While I'm a "GEEK" at home, the oldest software I could run would probably be Win 98.

If you have an older system capable of running an older release, do a mass conversion of the files and back them up, then you will be covered. Get them up to at least V-9. Will be "good to go" for a while.

JM2C

It's pretty easy to keep all your files up to date with the import directory function. The only problem was updating a bunch of .ge3 files. But, bulliness made a vb script for V9 to update folders and subfolders of .ge3 files to .mc9 files all at once. That vbscript used to be on ftp site. If not let me know I still have it.

HTH

My two cents in this whole process is when you have surface toolpaths in a V7 or earlier file. With the lack of associativity that V7 had you cannot regenerate that toolpath to be able to backplot it, know what drive and check surfaces you used etc. Being able to update that file is of limited use in those cases. In fact I still have V7 loaded on my system for that instance, but V7 will probably become non functional when we eventually abandon XP so I will migrate those semi useless files at some point.

Thanks for the replies.

I thought there was a program for GE3 conversions, when I get a chance I will have to download it from the FTP.

As for installing V9 after X2... the forum consensus is not to do that. So I would have to uninstall X2 SP1, X2 MR1 and X2 MR2. Then install V9 and whatever updates it had, and then reinstall some of the X2s... That’s a lot of time and trouble.

Anybody have a MC7 to MCX conversion program? wink.gif