Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Dell Vostro 1700 WinXP Pro SP2

Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz

2GB DDR Ram

256 MB Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT

160G Hard Drive, 5400 RPM

9:09 First Run

1:50 Second Run

It's not a powerhouse, but it fit the budget and gets the job done! We don't do much that requires that much processing time.

Quote:

After looking at other benchmarks I'm beginning to wonder if our 4:15 leader is (mistaken) about his time. Think about it, a 45 second drop from an OEM PC using a server motherboard when all other leaders were overclocked enthusiast machines.

The only thing really different is the 8Gb of Ram and 64bit OS. I ran MCX2 on a 64bit OS and got a 10 sec. longer time than with 32bit OS. Whitten got a 4:50 time with an overclock to 3.7Gb, I did 5:06 with a 3.5Gb CPU clock. Our (leader) with a 3.2 CPU clock OEM machine is much more believable at 5:15. I wonder if he used a stop watch or watched a wall clock and did the math (mistake). Also he's in Canada. We've already seen that the benchmark is faster in metric and I didn't see where he said which he used.

Reply:

There is no mistake. I personally observed this benchmark test. The benchmark test is in inches so forget about the metric thingy and Canada. If anything was changed, the benchmark test would be useless. Here's how the test went. File open, change the tolerance to what was requested by the original benchmark post, regenerate. The timing was done with both an on-line stopwatch as well as a watch. No mistake, this is one bad-a** computer.

You also have a Xeon processer which seems to always do better than C2D. I think I'll get the Xenon 3110 which is equivalent to C2D 8400. These have been pushed to 4.3 Ghz often but the DDR3 RAM is way too expensive for 8Gigs. But maybe I can come close your time, which is still to believe and harder to beat.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I KNOW that I I were to reformat my Laptop's HDD, install only the required Software (OS and Office Suite), my laptop would haul @$$. Not be as good as our leader but still I'd venture to say a double digit gain nontheless. All the $#!+ our IT guy puts on our systems just sux. My task bar looks like Tijuana's Revolicion on a Friday night.

I should stop all the non essential services and background apps and see if there's a difference....

I'll report back later...

I have never been a big fan of overclocking, its not bad or evil, just over rated.

There has to be some bottleneck that the T7400 system is blasting through. Maybe a motherboard that will support that processer has quicker throughput? From the Intel site it looks like maybe the 1600 fsb CPUs require a different socket (771 vs 775) so . . . hmmm.

Requires more research.

Actually 2x6M L2 cashe. Why only 2 for a quad core? So 2 cores share one cashe?

from

http://www.xbitlabs.com

" . . . This feature will increase performance for content creation, imaging, video and high-performance computing. Radix 16 technique, according to Intel, roughly doubles the divider speed over previous generations for computations used in nearly all applications. . . ."

and maybe something for the potentially multi-core future.

" . . . as well as added some features to dynamic acceleration technology, which is supposed to boost single-threaded applications’ performance on multi-core chips."

[ 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Jeff Kemper ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well, after going through the task manager and killing what I was certain would not shut my machine down...

Old 1st run - 6:59.766

New 1st Run - 6:44.453

(not as much as I would have hoped for but still an improvement)

Quad core is just a pair of Core 2 Duo's stacked up so 2x each core's 6Mb cache would be right. Socket 771 is a server CPU (Xenon) but there are Xenons in socket 775.

Carmen is the first one I remember as having a 1600FSB and a 45nm quad core CPU so it's the bandwidth and not the CPU clock that affects MCX2 most. I'm placing my order today for the Asus Rampage Formula and Xenon E3110 which is an LGA 775, 45nm, 6Mb, 1333fsb, 3.0Ghz equivalent to the C2D E8400.

The 6Mb cache per core is shared so if the quad core with 12Mb is sharing all that with the one core thats working on MC it's a big advantage for quad. But a quad is a pair of dual cores stacked so the working core might use only it's 6Mb. I think I'll look a little closer at this. A quad might be faster even with a lower CPU clock speed.

4:15 is so hard to believe.

The computer in question is mine. The time of 4:15 is bang on, I ran the test 5 times before I posted my time. Maybe the good time is due to new computer fresh install and no other crap on the computer to slow it down.

I guess the only way to prove me wrong is to spend about $8500.00 and run the test yourself

I only have one computer for three machines so I guess the price is not to bad, If only I had somebody to program toolpaths better than me. LOL

Just ran the BenchMark test again time of 4:18

I have 2 screens Mastercam running on 1 and online stop watch on the other.

I had a heck of a time selling my boss on spending $1900 for a new computer. If I told my boss I needed $8600 he would tell to take a hike. bonk.gif

From a ROI, my computer has paid for itself in 4 months in time saved in processing (35hrs of processing time).

My quad scored a 5:10. (Old 3ghz Pentium D scored 12:20).

5:12 running (2) simultaneously on separate monitors.

Everyone has their guru's meaning someone who knows lots more on a given subject than you do. I asked mine about this and he confirmed what I guessed was true. Xeon and Duron CPU's have a small cache of memory on the chip and all of it is available for any core that needs it.

My Core 2 Duo 6320 has 4Mb, these new Xeon's have 2 X 6Mb or 12Mb available for any one thread. Also he said a server board has a faster/better memory bus. Now it makes sense why this Dell T7400 can be slower yet out run everything else in MCX2. I won't be buying a server board anytime soon but I will be buying a Xeon Quad core CPU this time. Maybe I can close a big chunck of this gap between my 5:06 time and the 4:15 current record.

Motherboard is here tomorrow, Xeon X3350 next week and I have everything else so I'll have some results around the week of the 21st. The quad is expensive at $350. Luckily cash flow timing will allow me to spend more on CPU than planned or I'd be getting another dual core.

17 min 48 sec

Windows 2000 corporate

3.00Ghz Pentium 4

1Gb Ram

80 Gb Hard Drive

GeForce FX5200

Yeah, that's right.. I rock....

17 min 48 seconds of forum time!!!

banghead.gifbanghead.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Scary thing is that this is a substantial upgrade from the laptop they had for me when I got hired!!!! A freakin hand me down old a$$ desktop... mad.gifcurse.gif