Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

• 2 weeks later...

I have not noticed any benefits of my quad cor processor as of yet.(tried every possible setting(s)

my 2.6ghz duo is 40 faster than my 2.4 quad.

I only ever run 1 application at a time(at home), so I am swapping my 2.4 quad for a 3.2 newer series duo. I will gain 1 mb cache/cor and gain around 3000mhz on the(FSB) Front side Bus. and the obvious CPU increase.

This will cost me $190 as the quad upgrade would have been $390(i get $130 back for my old CPU).

I am going to re-test the bench mark with the affinity set to 1 core and then all 4 to see if there is any difference first.

Then re benchmark with the new 3.2 CPU. ina a few days or so.

i will keep ya posted.

Rick

that is correct Rick, Mastercam does not take advantage of the multiple cores. Where that will help is with many applications running simultaneously.

The 3.2 Ghz WILL be faster than the on the order of 25-30% faster than the 2.4 Ghz.

With the way things currently are, I would buy a 3.2Ghz Duo Core 2 over a 2.6 Ghz Quad Core if my biggest concern was tool path crunching times.

Yes John, I crunch huge 3-d waterline rest material and leftover paths often(15min to 45 min per path).

Just finished the testing with the quad.

affinity set on all 4 7:06

affinity set on 1 cor 7:04

(nothing but the stop watch running and AVG)

the same probably a * and - 1 sec for clicking the on line stop watch.

So I just sent in the P.O. for the new processor.

if it is 25% better :

I am also thinking of purchasing XP 64 bit($170) and 2 sticks (4 more gig, totaling 8 gig) of ram.

Do you think that the 64 bit and extra ram would help things to run even faster?

Rick

John,

I re started the benchmark and opened the task mangler and nothing is maxing out or even close.

aaaa-1.jpg

Thanks for the tip and saving me some cashola wink.gifcheers.gif

I opened up 2 mc's and had 2 instances of the benchmark running and 2 windows of fire fox and got the same time.(which is quite interesting in itself,IMO.)

Rick

A processor thats 25% faster won't yeild a 25% benchmark improvement, you'll be luckey if you get more than 5% unless you also bought the 25% faster RAM, HD, motherboard and videocard.

It's pretty well documented on the 11th and 12th page of this thread what gives big improvements and whats a waste of time or money in the effort to reduce benchmark times FOR ONE INSTANCE OF MC. I never considered someone trying to run multiple instances of MC simultainously. I seem to remember reading that multiple MC's is OK as long as only one is used for toolpaths. The temp and regen folders would be messed up overwriting 2 different paths to the same folders.

quote:

I opened up 2 mc's and had 2 instances of the benchmark running and 2 windows of fire fox and got the same time.(which is quite interesting in itself,IMO.)

Yes but how often will someone use 2 instances and use both to generate the exact same toolpath? Take one instance and offset, mirror, or change cutter size, then regen both at once and see if the time is still the same.

I built the current benchmark record holder PC after looking at many users benchmark times and equipment. The Dell T7400 that was fastest before mine might be awesome for someone who needs to run several MC's or Solidworks or Catia's at once. It had 2 Xeon quad cores and 8Gb of RAM + 64bit Windows but all that won't help for running just one instance.

Yip,Yip,Yipeeeeeeeee!!!!!

I just bench marked my new 3.2ghz CPU with all sorts of stuff running in the backround.

From 7.06 to

4.56!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna try some of my 'taxing' rest material and left over paths that I have to run on CNC tomorrow.

I waited over an hour to process 2 of them earlier,

Rick

Jaz posted:

quote:

Fresh out of the box:

Dell T7400

2 Xeon X5472, 3GHz, 1600MHz fsb

16Gb 800MHZ ram

160GB Raptor HD

Windows XP Pro-64

Quadro FX3700

5:13

Not bad.

How do I speed it up?

How is it that my pc beat duel Zeon's??

4:56??

My System specs are as follows:

HOME PC

XP PRO SP3

X2 MR2 SP1

E8500 3.2cor2duo, 6mg cache, 1333fsb(latest chip I could get)

4gig Ram pc5300 667Mhz

Quadro FX1500

Wd 150gig 10,000rpm Hard drive

Rickster, I just help another machinist here build a budget ($850) home PC using a Gigabyte MB, C2D E8400 and 2Gb of Crucial Balistix PC 8500 RAM and no overclocking. He runs the benchmark in 5 min. flat, just 4 seconds behind you.

The 5 min. mark is seemingly easily attainable now. The reason you beat Jaz is probably the (Fresh out of the box) part. I'll bet his still has all Dells crapware sucking up resources. Prosin Molds was the leader back at the 10th and 11th page of this thread with a virtually identical Dell T7400 but his time is a minute faster than Jaz so something is dragging Jaz down.

quote:

How is it that my pc beat duel Zeon's??

quote:

I'll bet his still has all Dells crapware sucking up resources.

My computer came w/out OS installed and our IT insatalled a fairly clean XP-64 from disks supplied by Dell. Crapware was never installed.

I did some tweaking with services and did get the time down to 4:48. Because my boss chose to buy a Dell (instead of a local shop build) I am limited in my ability to make the machine run fast. I AM dissapointed in the performance, I expected a little faster. Part of the difference is the 3.2GHz vs my 3.0Ghz CPUs.

However, this thing is a monster. The benchmark does not show everything. For instance, this computer is 'only' 2x faster than my old one one the benchmark file, but maybe 10-20 times faster on large 5-axis toolpaths. Also, I can be running two sessions of Vericut, have a Catia file open, let MasterCam regenerate an entire file and still work NORMALLY (no hesitations, no noticeable performance degradation, etc.) on another MasterCam file. If I were to do it over and the choice were mine I would get a similar machine but not from Dell.

quote:

I am curious with all these quick regen times - How are your verify times - Especially with multiple stl saves - Should they also reduce by the same percent as the regen times or are there other equations.

Erik,

Verification times are "largely" unaffected

hang on a bit longer help for that is on the way

Sounds like you've got a great machine. I can tell you a few things to try.

Are you sure about the crapware? You said the disks were supplied by Dell which I wouldn't trust. I'd get drivers from the hardware manufacturer, not Dell. With all the models thay've built over the years it would be huge job to update every possible driver update on thier web site.

Move the Windows pagefile and MC temp and regen folder location to another HD. Do the same for SW or Catia.

Your's is the first time I've heard of 16Gb of RAM. You should look to see how much RAM you've used when you have many windows or instances running. If you find you never used more than 8 Gb you could go for 8 Gb of 1066Mhz RAM.

Hi Guys,

Here is what I am looking at (any suggestions or changes?)

Intel Xeon E5410 2.33ghz

Tyan Tempest i5000xl

2x Kingston ECC Reg

Panasonic 1.44 Fdd

Seagate 160GB sata 7200rpm

quadro FX1700 512mb pcie

LG 2-X DVDRW

XP pro

Any suggestion or recomaendations?

Thank you

John

quote:

Are you sure about the crapware?

Relatively sure, I haven't done a full depth search yet of all the running processes and services. I have to be a little careful here at work because a couple of things "have" to be left running for the IT guy.

As far as drivers, what should I update besides the video driver?

I have only one HD, I'm hopeing to get an SSD biggrin.gif to use for page file, swap files, etc. maybe next year.

RIGHT NOW 16Gb RAM is more than double what I need. I had requested 8Gb, boss upped it to 16Gb, who am I to argue? Next year maybe 16Gb won't be enough.

John,

No where near enough info. Is this OEM or homebuilt? Going to overclock it? How much RAM at what speed? What PSU? 32 or 64bit OS?

Your processor is of the current type however the MB is from 2006 and is listed in Tyan archives. CPU probably won't run in this MB.

I always format any right out of the box or P.C. build from my supplier.

They set up things and think they are adding cool or useful spyware/adware crap and give you a resource pig of a virus protection etc.!!..!!.

After format I only put what I need on and ADD as 'I' want or need to.

Also I set it up for performance and classic windows and max out the page file and It is always, way more efficient then what they do.

i recommend that you all do that too, that way you have the disc's to install an update and stup drivers properly.

M2c's