Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas experts?

Larry1958

You might try setting your post to break those moves up

settings >> control def >> linear

You can break them up on that page.

Problem solved, the control will ONLY do what it sees

Haas will go to the shortest axis first the the the second axis next and so on. It does not matter what axis it is X,Y,Z,A,orB. I have a VR-11 and trust me on this it is a pain in the butt. When I'm programming for this machine I will turn off the rapids and just use the max feed rate. But on the setting I never heard of it.

Sigh, I get tired of these "haas and fadal are junk" replys all the time. We cut tool steel all day every day on haas mills and dont have a problem with highfeed cutters, etc. Sure they aren't as nice as a makino but they can do any work we need to do.

I have a feeling if some of the people that bad mouth them had to buy them their selves, they would be using haas too, its easy to bad mouth them when you work for a company with deep pockets...

If you have a small shop on a budget, get a haas and get to work, you won't be sorry.

excuse me Randy but who bad mouthed HAAS.

I stated a clear FACT they have their place.

Even the HAAS salesman I had in the other day pretty much said the same thing "they have positioned themselves as the middle of the road option"

NObody really ripped them here but any other time you get negitive responces about haas or fadel we should support made in usa machine tools ..my company could afford a higher end machine but we have all haas machines 10 in all, mills and lathes some with pallet changers and we cut 316 and 304 stainless steel all day and night long with no problums whatsoever ...HAAS ROCK

John, I know you didn't "rip" them, but any time someone asks a question about them, someone has to point out how weak they are, and since I usually work for people that like to buy them, I make some damn nice stuff on them, and get a little defensive because a lot of people believe you can't do tough stuff on them, or try to influence people that don't know any better.

No hard feelings, I'm just defending the little guy and sometimes I read between the lines too much...

quote:

I'm sorry, but I ran a Haas before that couldn't drive a 1/2-13 tap thru a pc. of aluminum. It would sieze the spindle.

It must have been a beat machine. I have MiniMills and they have no problem tapping 1/2-13. As far as HAAS goes, they don't get much smaller than a MiniMill. Good little machines but, It is what it is......"A Little Machine". They have limitations in rigidity but serve their purpose well for us.

We have a HAAS HS-1 and have the same issue, can't drive a tap. Can only take very light cuts (spindle stalls). Now the comunications with the machine is dead HAAS can't figure it out. All the programs (now ONLY short) have to be hand typed into the control. banghead.gif

Other than that .........

quote:

With HAAS it really depends on the application.

They have their place but what kind of application will you be using it to do?

my bet is making chips

they are great machines. are there better? yes

John, you must live in a house made of gold,

wood has its place

Larry ask here I've had good result. Link

More info tips etc.

HAAS Tips

We have 3 HAAS mills here '97 VF3, '99 VF5, '04 VF3 10k. We make Aluminum molds, and the tooling to go along with them. Of these machines the oldest one had 1 day of down time, when the gear change solenoid stopped working properly, I ordered and changed the part myself. We run long runs, currently I'm running a job that has 5 sets of 26 hour cycle times, the Machine will be on it's last set today without stopping except for part change.

I have run Titanium(VF5, and TM1) Stainless, and Mild steel on the HAAS with good results, and if they are short occasional runs the HAAS will do just fine.

That being said there are Machines that a Job Shop that dealt with steel and Ti and so on longer runs etc. that would pay for the dif in price over the HAAS.

HAAS is getting better, the newer machines I've run for other shops that I have recently been helping are faster and handle steel better than before. HAAS also offers Machines with high tension drawbars glass scales etc. HAAS is a US company and from what I have seen they are a very competitive growing Machine tool company and not far from catching the other guys in the next few years. I have heard Horror stories about other machine tool brands being delivered and not running parts for months, the last HAAS we had delivered ran the day the electrician wired it in.

WE TAP 3/4-10 thru 304 stainless steel in our mini mills all day long ...we HAD guys here that would blame the machine for there short comings i would do the same jobs with that same haas with good parts all day long ...sometimes its the man not the machine .. a good machinist can make anything work how about all those years the manual bridgeport was king

quote:

sometimes its the man not the machine

+1000 !

I had the good fortune rolleyes.gif of being an applications engineer and service mgr for a fadal (among other machines) dealer in the late '80's and early '90's. I saw guys do aerospace on the old 1/2 guard Fadals, using positive approach, lie to the program, and all other tricks to could think of because of the shortcomings of the machine. I've seen shops running all Haas or Fadals kick the snot out of shops that were running all matsuuras. eek.gif

Many a shop has been built on those "inferior" machines.

That said, I'm glad to be done with them. biggrin.gif

Gimme our Niigatas, Toyodas, and Mitsui's any day.

I never believed in Haas machines either... till I ran one. One shop I was in had gear head mills and they cut 304 stainless all day long. The next shop I was in also cut 304 stainless all day long, except for tighter tolerances ( +/-0.0005" and true positions of 0.002") and those machines did those tolerances without a problem. That same company bought a Mazak Variaxis 500, that could not cut to those tolerances... I do understand that the Mazak has additional tolerance stack due to the addition two axis.