Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

First weeks thoughts on Mastercam X2.

nem3

There more I use this program, the more I realize is that it isn't really meant for CAD. This is pretty sad considering all the wonderful things that can be done in MCX.

I just can't understand why there is no easy way to print a backplot view, or verify view. Now I know that it can be done with the save as geometry thing. But that is not what I need. I want to see a print of exactly what my backplot looks like. And be able to print it to scale. And I don't mean the whole print to 50% or 63% thing. I mean an actual universally understood scale. Like 1" = 1', or for the metric folks 1:16. I can do this from our UNIX based CNC machine. But not from MCam headscratch.gif

Another thing I still can't understand. Is why can't I simply drag and drop an endpoint of a line? Why do I have to go through a 10 step process? This should be made much much simpler. For CAD guys like me, speed is key. And I can't stand having to use the trim feature to make a line longer. Especially if it’s only and arbitrary line in the first place. And then try and move something. Another ten step process. On top of the super cool "Xform" name. rolleyes.gif

I think it’s sad that after purchasing a program such as this. I still have to rely on AutoCAD to do our drawings. Not because MCam is a pain to use. But because of the lack of thought out features. Now I understand that I am not as experienced as most on this forum. As well as the fact that the toolpathing that can be done is fantastic. But if Mastercam would simply work on making drawing things easier and quicker. Instead of coming up with some cool new toolpath. I think they would have a real winner on there hands. As of yet, I am not impressed whatsoever. Things just don't seem very common sense to me. Granted McamX is a far cry for the V8 and V9 days.

I have other bones with the program. But most of those I am working with our local reseller to get straightened out.

Please before you reply, I am not trying to start a flame fest. If that is your intention. Take a deep breath first.

I am not going to flame you but please look at the name of the product

Master CAM

BTW, have you taken any training on using MCAM?

It can be used to do a lot if you know how to use it.

It can be considered rudimentary on CAD functions when compared to true CAD product, if you need true CAD/Modeling software my suggestion would be a seat of Solidworks.

One must learn before making comments like these. I know Auto cad enough to say Mastercam does a pretty good job at design. I've worked shops all they used was MC for design and machining. Maybe not enough to be called Mastercad. At least you don't have to work thru 2 or so 1500 page books before being able to make a solid. headscratch.gif And you can't even machine it.

Once you have learned MC and used it extensively for a time. Then you try another brand... You'll wish BIG TIME. YOU HAD MASTERCAM BACK!!

[ 08-31-2007, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: danbo ]

I came over from 6 years of Inventor and 8 of AutoCAD. I hear your complaints but it is a CAM software. You will get used to doing things in MC and you will find faster ways. I find it faster to do things in MC rather than knock it around different programs and then bring it back into MC.

Curves, lines and chains in MC are painful! But I'm getting better and faster.

nem3.. no flames here.. you are making a mistake that many new Mastercam users make.

You are trying to force Mastercam to work like

your old package, AutoCad in your case..it won't do it. biggrin.gif

You are clearly a proficient Acad user so use what you know for drawing.

Mastercam is primarily a CAM program. Myself and most other users would get real angry if they started developing CAD at the expense of CAM.

Personally, I use SolidWorks for all my design and CAM and Mastercam for toolpathing.

If you want worldclass CAD and CAM in one package,

you need to be looking at Catia or UG and writing a check for $30-$40K.

You've got world class CAM with ACAD and world class CAM with Mastercam. Use both and be happy

smile.gif

"If you want worldclass CAD and CAM in one package, you need to be looking at Catia or UG and writing a check for $30-$40K."

As one who knows the pricing very well for the above mentioned products, I can tell you your absolutely wrong about the UG pricing. It's around the same as the SW MC bundle many have here. That said, the pool of affordable programming talent will lie in the SW/MC setup. That is the driving force for many shops.

--

Bill

quote:

As one who knows the pricing very well for the above mentioned products, I can tell you your absolutely wrong about the UG pricing.

Actually William unless they have adjusted their pricing structure when I was involved 2 + yrs ago in the purchase of UG, for the CAD & CAM seat, Mold and Die pak, Multi axis add-ons and post builder and a couple of CAD add-on modules and that what we paid per seat, closer to the high end of that.

Oh yeah, tossed in the first year of maintenance in that as well

Hey guys, thanks for the many varying veiws. I have used Solidworks before. But mainly to try and learn it. Never to the extreme that I know ACAD. And in fairness, ACAD has a lot of its own design flaws. To be honest I never thought about Mastercam as only a CAM tool. So I guess you guys are right in that respect.

I just wish some of these things would have been fixed in McamX. I was talking to my boss about the whole printing thing. And we couldn't understand how after having over 64,000 seats installed. No one has had to print up a toolpath for the higher ups. My boss is pretty knowledgeable about running our CNC and he always wants a print out of the G-Code and the toolpath to go in the clients file. This helps him out in the future if he needs to make another piece. For the particular job I am working on now. We wanted to send a copy of what the peice would look like to the client. And in order to do that. I would have to manually draw in the toolpath thickness in ACAD. Then print it out fullsize. The amount of time something like that would take was unacceptable. So we settled for a screenshot of the toolpath backplot in MCAM.

Well if you are wanting to show the toolpath as seen on the screen then why not save the backplot as geometry. Then when you want to print certain sections of toolpaths related to tools you then can turn on and turn of the levels that have that particular toolpaths. Sorry but needing to print toolpaths is not a flaw, just something in my years I have never heard or seen someone need. Code is code bottom line most errors come from set-up, or someone not verifying code using a true nc backplotter. Nothing against your boss, but he is adding un-needed work; a part is a part and the final result has always been all the proof any of my customers have ever needed. Also when the backplot is made into geometry it's line thickness can be changed. Also you can change the line thickness when printing if you would like. A lot of what you are using to with Acad with regards to line thickness are seen more in with regards to Architecture and not widely used in Mechanical drawings. It is there and can do a lot but, like said above it is not Acad it is not Solidworks, PRO-E, UG, Cadkey, or etc..... It is Mastercam not Mastercad and think some training would help you overcome your lack of understanding of certain aspects of what you can and can not do with Mastercam with regards to you and your companies needs.

HTH

quote:

Another thing I still can't understand. Is why can't I simply drag and drop an endpoint of a line? Why do I have to go through a 10 step process? This should be made much much simpler.

use xform drag. it works really well.

nem3,

Mastercam can easily print the toolpath on the screen. Here is how:

Go into Settings, Configuration, Toolpaths tab,

In the section that says "setup sheet program" click on the drop down list and select "GUI" (Graphic User Interface).

Click the Green check mark and save changes.

In your operations manager (in a file with toolpahts wink.gif ), select all your operations and right-click on the group

In the right click menu, select the "Setup Sheet" option.

The "Options" dialog box will be displayed (the title does not say options though), press the green check mark and all your setup info will appear, along with the toolpath display. You can then toggle between each operation with the toolpath displayed and print each view.

HTH,

"Another thing I still can't understand. Is why can't I simply drag and drop an endpoint of a line? Why do I have to go through a 10 step process?"

I'm not sure you realize all the options you have available here.

To move the endpoint of an existing line:

Analyze Entity Properties, Click on the line, a dialog box pops up with the line's properties.

There are two buttons underneath the XYZ position fields, (+1) and (+2). These buttons let you drag the endpoint of a line on the graphics window.

You can attach the new endpoint to any auto cursor snap point, drag it out and place it manually, or enter new XYZ values.

The shortcut for Analyze entity properties is F4 on the keyboard.

Press F4, Click the line, select which endpoint you want to drag, click to place it, Done!

If you press the (+1) button, and you realize you really wanted the other endpoint, press ESC, click the other button, done.

I agree with the general consensus that Mastercam is lacking in SOLIDS functionality, but all things considered it is a great CAD program for wireframe and surfaces.

Please let us know what is difficut for you and we can show you better techniques and options in Mastercam to make it easy (because it really is easy).

I've produced beautiful print drawings in Mastercam. What do you find painful? Are you working from a Solid -> Mastercam has an awesome feature called Solid Layout for automatically generating a complete 2D print from a solid in any view. Are you using "Smart Dimension" mode? -> This is the only way to edit dimensions on the fly and works great...

The list goes on and on...

Just post up a topic or do a search when something seems frustrating, it could be really simple to accomplish what you want...

HTH,

quote:

Mastercam has an awesome feature called Solid Layout

I love this forum. Just by browsing the posts each day, I learn something new all the time. I have to agree, that IS an awesome feature. I only wish I had known about it. I must have missed that in the solids class I took from our reseller. Oh well, at least I know about it now.