Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Finish Blend

Ployd

Well if I were to venture a guess I would look at about 20 to 30 things so where do you want to start?

1: What do the surfaces look like where they end?

2: What are the chains that are being used look like?

3: Are there splines in the chains?

4: Are there check surfaces being used?

5: Are there vertical walls or other features near where you are cutting?

6: What kind of filter tolerance are you using?

7: What are your percentages of step over?

8: Have you tired different step over amounts and see the same thing?

9: Do you see this with other toolpaths?

10: What have you changed in your advance setting?

11: What effect have these changes had to the toolpath?

That is just a few off the top of my head.

Biggest thing I have seen with this toolpath is splines and jagged edges surfaces causing problems. Best test I have seen for surfaces is if you can make a good solid out of the surface you should most times have no problem, but not always. The biggest draw back to surfaces is just that they are surfaces and if there is a .000001 gap between surfaces Mastercam sees it and reacts to that. If it as possible I try to untrim the surface. Then use that to drive my toolpath and sometimes the problems you are seeing will go away.

Pip great toolpath, but if you did not run a verify using and solid model or STL then this will happen everytime no matter the toolpath. If it is something you did do and did not see using either method I described email that file to qc(at)mastercam(dot)com so they can take a look at it.

Note the email is written that way so it is harder for spammers to get emails.

Nils,

Reduce your Blend resolution and it should help. What is your stepover? It looked pretty small. Try using a Blend Resolution of .02 and be prepared to wait a while for the toolpath to calculate. It would also helps sometimes to create Fence surfaces at the surface edges to be used as runout surfaces. This gives the toolpath "something" to be projected on too.

How many nodes are there in your splines? Try running the RMnodes Chook to help simplify the spline definitions if that is what you are using.

HTH,

Which toolpath is this example from? I'm just curious. If its not one of the new HST it might be gap settings as stated before. On the gap settings there is a pull down and we can pick either direct, broken, smooth, or follow. Try using follow surface. I'm not sure if it will work or not but its worth a try. Keep us posted if you can. I've seen this as well and don't like it either.

I changed the drop down for gap motion to follow surfaces and now I get a bunch of rapid moves which are still inconsistent. You can see the gap in the photo.

This, however, sped up the regen time on this file by at least 50%, which is nice to know because the surface blend is slow to process.

Tooltpath2.jpg