Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Models

punarman

quote:

how do you create chains for toolpaths

Create/Curves/Create curves on all edges.

You don't need solids to do this.

quote:

how to align a solid model

I would guess x-form translate would work, maybe between points after you create your edge curves? Depends on the situation.

I have a lathe seat, but NO LATHE frown.gif

that's what I'd do in Mill

JParis,Mastercam states in their catalog and website, that you can improt solids into x2 without buying the solids option and use it to create toolpaths. But yet you seem to think that you have to get the solids option.The solid option is supposed to be used for designing solids from scratch or if you want to edit a solid after it has been imported into mastercam.

Why not import as wire frame and surfaces?

Are you afraid you will lose something in translation?

personally, I've had really good luck with it.

What is the advantage of importing it as a solid if you don't have solids to manipulate it?

I don't have solids. I use Inventor to model everything and prefer to work with surfaces and wire frame for toolpathing so that's how I import my geometry(more control IMHO). Because I have Inventor and it translates perfectly, I see no need for the solids option.

quote:

or if you want to edit a solid after it has been imported into mastercam.

quote:

Personally I think it's a rip off that you can't move or rotate a solid unless you have a solids license

quote:

all i want to do is to align the solid so that it would correspont with the lathe axis to generate toolpaths.

Moving a solid would be considered modifying it.

As John said, use the WCS. biggrin.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

other than its location.

Technically when dealing with a solid that is modifying it. It comes in a specific cooridinate when you move it although you really have not chenged the part geometry you have modified it, you would also have to regen anypaths you had it if you were to only move it.

Not nit picking I dont have issues with this, just splainin my .02 which cant even get penny candy anymore.

In V9 (and earlier) you couldn't import a solid without having the solids package. Even without the Solids package you were able to import a solid model as surfaces/wireframe. Every other software I have been around or used required that you purchase something to import solid models as surfaces, and if you wanted to import the solids and apply toolpaths to the solids you had to have the solid modeler. Since X came out you can import and apply toolpaths to solid models without having to purchase the solids package. HOORAY!!! The only caveat is that you need to know how to use Work Coordinate Systems so that you can orient your part for machining.

HTH