Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Your help in lathe is needed

Bill Martel

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ability to have a different feedrate for the overlap in roughing. Usually running up the wall with an 80 deg, 3 deg relief angle tool makes stringy chips. On top of that it can run faster in that area and not have a problem. Its at the end of a cut when it moves up the length of the cut, and then leads out. I manually change them now, and on long runs of parts it saves me a little time.

Sure you can edit the code in the toolpath editor, it is just a pain to have to redo it if you want any changes. It was an idea that i thoght would be possible to implement. I'm sure everyones problems could be solved if they hand wrote their own code. Thanks for the suggestion though for those that don't know about the toolpath editor.

I found an easy way to be able to program VTL's from the front of the machine. All I did is edit the post to flip G2-G3 and, set the planes to the following:

Gview= Top-Lathe VTL

WCS= Top

CPlane= -D+Z(TOP)

TPlane= Top

This way I can take the engineers toolsheet for the part, which shows the tools as how you would see them

from an operators POV and how they are loaded onto the turret, and you can program on the right side of the part in X+/D+. This makes life so much easier, but only works on VTL's with the turret to the right. I say this because we have a small VTL that has the turret on the left, so I program this like a slant bed, with the post I have set up for our slantbeds. The programmer I replaced did it like you guys do, from the back and I had a hard time grasping this, and remembering to flip the orientation of the tool in Mastercam compared to the tool sheets. Maybe this will help some of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Some one may have said something similar to this, but maybe use multiple tools for the same roughing path. If you are turning a long part or something and one piece of carbide wont make it through te whole cutting path. A way to tell it to use 1 then 2 then 3 at every inch in diameter or every 4 passes. Something like that. I don't know if thats a stupid idea or not, just posting it.

• 1 year later...

At my shop we approach and retract at Z.1 no matter what. so it would be nice to have an option where you could set a line or position to approach and retract to and it would go there no matter what the values in your tool pathes are. Also being able to control your retract in X from your last cut would be kind of nice.

I hear what you're saying on the approach / retract line; just key in a value for the whole job and go, probably with something to un-check if you DON'T want to use that line for a particular toolpath. You can set up operation default reference points for this, but a visible (or not) line would be cool.

You can use exit vectors in the lead-in/lead-out dialog to do what you asked for in your second comment, but that does it on every pass.

C

Why does lathe have to be such a pain?!? Why does the program need to recalculate speeds and feeds when I do something like switch coolant back on (because Mastercam shut it off for some reason before...) or renumber the tools.

My personal favorite is when I copied a group of operations using ONE (1) tool to a new machine group and Mastercam decided that it wanted to make a NEW tool for each of the five operations. They were the exact same tool, just five of them with a different number.

Why does it have to be this hard, CNC Software? Why can't lathe have the same simple functionality as mill? Why can't the simple, easy stuff be fixed?

Here's one that bugs me. Say you want to do any lathe toolpath. After doing the chaining or whatever, the parameter box comes up. There is a value for Max Spindle Speed. Now pick a drill or something that uses a direct RPM. Input a value for the spindle speed higher than the max. You get an error. The frustrating part is that you don't even get a chance to correct it before you have to start clicking through error messages.

BTW, has anyone had the joy of disabling that message then getting banghead.gif because every time you try to type in a speed faster than the max, it just defaults back to the max? Perhaps it's just me. I get in a hurry when adding a toolpath or editing a toolpath, and then spend a minute or two swearing and wondering what's going on.