Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Your help in lathe is needed

Bill Martel

The save to level fixed to where it does not open up a different level. I take and save all my lathe tools to level to use in my set-up sheet. I start with level 1000 and every time when I am saving my tools to their level the level manager changes to some weird level. Today it is 232 for this file it is always a different level no rhyme or reason.

I would also like to see the lathe manager work in regards to saving tools to different tool libraries. You try it here in the lathe tool manager it will not save active tool to a new library when you try to using the right click. You can only get this to work is doing it in the operations itself.

Also can we please get the save tool dialog box to quit saying open, but to say SAVE on all instances not just lathe but mill and router as well. I assume router does it since lathe and mill does.

Bill glad to see someone openly; finally take responsibility for this product line. Mastercam is a great product and puts food on my table. Lathe has needed a revamp, thus the hard work being put into the new X3 release. The market is ripe for the taking and hope the new release can be all we need it to be. Good luck and hope we can help you make this good for all parties involved.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) How about being able to define a 'first cut' diameter for facegrooving tools? I hate having to create fake groove boundaries every time I want to machine a facegroove.

2) Would it be possible to create a rough turning toolpath that alternates DOC every other pass? For instance, have the first pass start at .150DOC and finish at .075; then have the second pass straight [hence starting at .075 and finishing at .150]. This is recommended by many insert manufacturers for reducing DOC notches on the inserts.

3) Can we make it so that the rough turn tool won't crash EVERY time I have a lot of stock to machine off the face? There is a certain point that MC decides it doesn't like and just chooses to ignore the stock boundary.

4) I am definitely on board with the facing down [or up in the bore] of the shoulders; particularly useful with castings or pre-roughed parts. Not sure how the heck you would do this but it would be cool.

5) Can we have MC scan custom tools when they are selected and automatically identify tool type, nose radius, and tool center? My tools are all built properly but when I pick them I always need to define all of that crap.

6) My only real canned cycle b!tch is that MC seems to ignore the OD or ID of the part if the difference between the part size and stock size is less than the nose radius of the insert. This may have been fixed in X, but I doubt it.

Give me time and I'm sure I'll come up with more

This I have informed to qc before

In lathe edit common parameters lathe

When we change the Maximum spindle speed

The Mastercam now always override the spindle speed and the maximum spindle speed

Can you please fix to override only the Maximum spindle speed?

NOT the SPINDLE SPEED

The main problem it override CCS speed

Bill,

need help for programming a two axis vtl.

meantime i must write programs for each head and trying to synchronise them on the machine - a long and time consuming process.

also it will be a nice feature to program iscar's face grooving tools as they need special treatment. i saw this type of tools programmed in a solidcam programming enviroment.

thanks.

I used to program insert drills as 175 Degree flut. It would be nice to rough bore with an insert drill, I know you could just use move to point. But if you could just use the insert drill, then choose rough and select the drill to machine a few clearance passes for a larger boring bar that would be great. I was just hand editing the rough passes before.

Hey Ashan I fixed that problem by taking the following out of the post( Put# in front of)

if speedrpm > maxss$, speedrpm = maxss$

The OOOOOOOOOO represent where it was under pspindle.

pspindle #Spindle speed calculations for RPM

[

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

if speedrpm < min_speed, speedrpm = min_speed

]

Thank you for all the feed back.

I put some files for VTL up on the FTP site in the VTL directory, for you guys to check out .

I would really appreciate your comments on if they are helpful. They include some redone machine def's. I plan on including them in X3.

I appreciate all you lathe users out there. I know lathe needs some TLC. You have already been patient. I am not a miracle worker so I need more time. As I mentioned I am here for the long haul.

I condensed the suggestions Here idea.gif :

Canned cycles-2

Cutter comp issues-1

Round boring bars-1

Lock on feeds and speeds-2

VTL-3

“Face towards part”-3

Tool libraries-2… Wider variety of tools inc insert drills, knurling, undercutting-

Part transfer-1

Canned threading with lat flank and mod alt flank-1

35 deg cutter crash alarm-3

Dirty files marked with no real changes-1

Groove turn tools-3

Save tools to new library-1

First cut dia for facegrooving tools-1

Alt depth on rgh turn-1

Scan custom tools-1

Insert style drill/boring tool-1

Bill

To everyone commenting on the fact that Lathe marks all subsequent operations dirty when you edit an operation:

1) Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work, as the toolpaths for subsequent operations are based on the stock left over from the operation you edited.

2) You can turn off this feature by un-checking the 'Update Stock' check box on the tool parameters page when you edit the operation.

You should only do this if you are editing something like feed rate that won't affect the stock geometry. (Well the stock geometry in Mastercam anyway... We don't guarantee that the actual part might not look a little different if you fumble finger a 1.0 in/rev feedrate into a finish operation smile.gif )

3) If you turn off stock update using #2, you will notice that there is a lock on the stock update icon in the Toolpath Manager. Clicking the lock will turn stock update back on so you don't forget to in the future.

I have no problem with the way it's supposed to function; just that it doesn't occasionally.

Merely opening an operation, and not changing a thing will cause the following ops to become dirty. Occasionally opening a file, the same. Disabling stock update does not sound like a good solution, nor a safe one.

Add me to the "round boring bars in verify" list; I missed that one.

I also have problems with the tools moving in rapid traverse too close to the stock in Rough toolpaths, violating the clearance values from Job Setup. Am I just using the software incorrectly, or have you other guys experienced this?

Another thing...how bout beinng able to select gear ranges via the Machine Def? As it is right now I have to have 3 different posts for 3 different machines because they are slightly different gear ranges...this is the only difference in the posts between them.

Seems to me that the machine def would be the logical place to do this

I'll give this one a bump because a question in another thread triggered another thought: can we have a "full width" feedrate and a "stepover" feedrate in grooving? When I'm taking 50 or 60% of the insert width I'd like to run more feed than on the first cut without manually editing it.

Can you make it so that I can program my thread tools from the front of the tool and not the center on the point? We use lay down thread inserts and set them on the face. when threading towards a wall its easy because I can make it thread to like .002 from the wall and I know the insert will not hit the part. The problem is that I can't tell MC that I do it that way in the tool setting page. When it verifies or back plots it has the thread tool hit the part. If I have to go back and turn some more then the stock is completely wiped out in that area.

Kind of like this:

2227967373_80b7aa043c_o.jpg