Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

magnesium speeds and feeds

Bob W.

Yeah, I have been reading up on machining mag and the things I have on hand are a class D extinguisher (metal fires), big bucket of sand, and a wood shop dust collection system. I was told NOT to use water based coolant but to run dry. Is mag like aluminum where it will gum up the cutting tool if run dry?

When I cut Mag I cut it wet with water based coolant.

Keep it flooded I've not had a problem.

I have seen it go up when the guys cut it dry on the manual lathes.

Its only the light cuts that are of concern. The thin small swarf is the stuff that will light up if it gets hot.

hi bob

have you also heard, do not ream?

it has been a long time but think it still holds true. do not try to ream. I have used reamers in titanium. the carbide ones work ok. the hss and cobalt like to seize on the tool. the same thing is said to happen on mag. for ti i have shortened the flute length of the reamer to 1/4 " or so and ream thru with a little success. I have never tried this on mag.

billy

Hi Bob, similar to aluminum, but decrease your RPM by about 20%. David is right, it is the light cuts that are your major concern. Try to maintain a slightly heavier chip load to avoid the light cut problem. Absolutely do use a water based coolant and flood the heck out of it. You don't want heat to build up in the chips or the work piece.

I also like to stop frequently and remove the chips. Try not to let them pile up.

We machined mag dry with the same speeds and feeds for aluminum. Be careful! Coolant can attack mag and cause porosity and discoloration to develop on the surfaces. Depends on the customers specifications I guess. Our parts were for the Boeing CH-47 and coolant was not allowed. Now, should I tell you the story about the place I worked at when I was 16 that burned to the ground from a mag fire? eek.gif

Thanks for the input. From what I have read the biggest safety assets in machining mag are common sense and managing the chips. I was told by the metal supplier to not use coolant which is where my idea for the dust collection system came from, to suck away the chips. I figured it would be safe since wood dust poses a serious fire risk as well so a good unit would be designed for handling flammable materials.

Sounds like coolant is okay so I will go that route. I have heard of the corrosion issues so I will get the parts dry quickly once removed from the machine. Thanks for the help.

Bob

Mag rusts straight away, soon as its finished machining spray it with WD40.

Dont handle it with bear skin where cotton gloves. Its not danderous to handle just for the rust aspect.

We had parts get surface rust on them in the time it took to get the finished machined part off the machine and down to our spray booth for laquer spray.

I have run it wet and done some pretty trick parts with it. I use to do model making when I 1st came to California. Coolant is fine, just blow off the coolant, and spray with WD-40 like suggested. Speeds and feeds were no different on a Fadal than Aluminum. 100 imp 10000 rpm no problem with 1/4 and smaller tools.

HTH

Head the fire warnings. I caught a lathe bed full of mag chips on fire. Somebody used the lathe and didn't clean out the chips. It went up very, very fast. Cleared out half the shop in under 2 minutes after I let loose with the fire extinguisher. Don't play with it or "show your kids". Before you know it , they'll be trying to light every piece of metal on fire.