Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how do I become a programmer?

produca2

quote:

I will ALWAYS be wary of people who have a resume full of non-contract jobs that lasted less than two years, no matter how good they are.

Guess that counts me out Bruce. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Don't worry I will not hold it against you. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Longest I been at a job was 3-1/2 years as a shop foreman, shortest was about 2 days. It is weird people offer me jobs all the time. I realized along time ago there no such thing as job security only employability security.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's allright Ron, I'd employ you. And maybe JP as well biggrin.gif

Think of it this way. An employee that "takes" the experience of working somewhere and uses that at another shop to, in turn, "take" that experience and move on, may not necessarily "add" anything to the shop. Especially if my shop takes the time and money to invest in process improvement and takes it seriously. I don't want to be a rung on the ladder, I want to be the place everyone wants to be. That is how I would get, develop and keep the best people.

Bruce

quote:

Especially if my shop takes the time and money to invest in process improvement and takes it seriously. I don't want to be a rung on the ladder, I want to be the place everyone wants to be.

Bruce,

you are correct and THAT job lasted me the longest of all 5 years, in the end you STILL have to treat people right and treating people right does NOT ALWAYS equate to $$$ either wink.gif

So yes, people like US can be corralled in the "right" situation for every one involved.

wink.gif

Bruce we know each other and was not serious. cheers.gifcheers.gif

I really think it is a give and take type of situation. I have always tried to give back more than I ever have taken. Some of course will have a different opinion of that. I can put my head down at night knowing I tired to do the best and be the best person I could be at each of he jobs I worked at. Knowledge is important, respect is important, and it has to work both ways. Growing in the profession is growing in yourself as no only a person, but as a programmer and a machinist. I am very thankful to all those I learned and learn from. I am also hopefully I can only help and have helped others learn and grow in the profession and as a person.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...u r qualify as a certified programmer if u r using ANY OTHER CAM such as Delcam, UG, powermill, etc.

EXCEPT MASTERCAM!!

NO SUPPORT FROM MASTERCAM!!

Apparently no support from where you learned english either. I'd get my money back if I were you.

Well you do realize this is site that CNC software which sales Mastercam and supports Mastercam has no part of this web site. This site is supported by a dealer not Mastercam. In other words your complaints fall on deaf ears to CNC. Coming in this thread and being a mean spiteful person to someone asking a very ligament question will not get you anywhere. You have asked questions in this forum and have got some responses from again people who like this forum are not part of Mastercam. Like Delcam go see ya. Want some help ask correct questions. Free posts are not going to happen for the most part!!! Coming in here picking a fight very foolish and will yield foolish results.

One last thing asking question when a majority of people in this country are asleep will also get you know answers. Good luck and hope you find your answers though I think you are more looking for ways to slam Mastercam so you can get a different software then really wanting to use Mastercam. Good Day.

[ 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]

I agree with all the others about experience and "job hopping" Learn each and every aspect of machining, from maintenance to operation, programming to trouble shooting" and you will be a good programmer.

I subscribe to a theory that has helped me enormously throughout the years.

"Never be afraid of failure, be afraid to fail."

By that I mean, failure is always a possibility, and everyone has one or 2 things they have or will fail at. It is life. Eventually you will come across something that you just can not do, no matter how hard you try. But if you are afraid of failure you will see a tough job as a risk and may not take it just because you are afraid of failure so you don't take it on in order to save face, as it were. If you are not afraid of failure, but are afraid to fail you will take the extra work and risk it, pushing yourself to the limits, seeking help, asking questions, beating every bush until you find the solution because you refuse to fail. You will fight through the difficulties and succeed because you are afraid to fail.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Evertime I post a question to mastercam, there is no response.....

Other CAM Software are STRIKING MASTERCAM HARD!!!

Ever try [email protected]???????

THAT is how you reach CNC Software NOT here. eMasercam is a USER Forum. Sure CNC pops in from time to time but you know what, they are busy writing software, not trolling a forum like us. Contact them directly and you'll recieve a response. COntact them through the forum, you're rolling the dice and apparently the dice are not in your favor.

"...STRIKING MASTERCAM HARD..." what a F***ING JOKE. I've see the "forums" of other so-called superior softwares and they can't even compare to this place. It's like comparing the Taj Mahal to some shanty in downtown. Not even close.

Mastercam may not be perfect, but I'll tell you what, in most cases their customer service is excellent. They may not always give us everything we want but they are constantly improving in almost every aspect of the software.

In my travels to Asia I have come across so many little "hole in the wall" software stores that sell prated software that I would be surprised to hear of an actual licensed user from that part of the world. On my trip last month I saw Mastercam X2, Delcam Powermill 7, Catia, NX4, ProE and many others. all of these could be bought for about $10 USD each. We have trouble getting good support for software we buy in China for this reason. There is no money to be made by Asian software dealers because of the rate of piracy. Most of the time we buy the software here in the states and I provide the support or at least be the middle man in support issues.

That being said, all of the software being used at our facility in America and China is licensed and up to date on maintenance. We have licensed, up to date Maintained seats of ProE(11), MCX(5), Vericut(1), Cimco(1), Multi-DNC(1), and Jobboss(4). There are other software's used by our industrial design group, IT, and Finance that are licensed as well. If I had to guess I would say we spend about $100,000 USD per year on software maintenance. That's a huge cost that many of our competitors don't pay.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...That's a huge cost that many of our competitors don't pay...

Glad to hear your company takes licensed software seriously.

So many don't... and in the end, we ALL loose. I'll bet if 5% of the worldwide Mastercan Pirates ponied up CNC could hire 20 more Sofware Engineers and we could have Multi Tasking Lathe stuff. biggrin.gif (had to throw that in there) biggrin.giftongue.gif