Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks or Mastercam

CNCMike

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie who was directed here by the user name "cadcam" over on CNCZone (cadcam is on this board also). Cadcam has been more than helpful, but I wanted to spread the load of questions to others who can help.

I am as new as they come when using Mastercam and would like to know what you design in and why. I use Solidworks and import the files into Mastercam (parasolid). I do this because we have models previously designed in Solidworks.

In the future would it be a better choice to design in Mastercam? Yes? No? Why? Why not? It seems either way works, but there may be an advantage to one?

Thanks in advance for your help, Mike

I do any designing I have at all in Solidworks and Solidworks only.

You can open your SW files directly into to Mastercam as an .sldprt file, no need to export out of SW as a parasolid, unless you are using reference coordinate position.

quote:

but there may be an advantage to one?

Parametric modeling, a better stronger interface, a vastly superior "CAD" product, Solidworks

Mastercam is a vastly superior CAM product compared to SW

I have designed molds and dies for many years using mastercam, so it can be done. Mostly because I started machining first for many years and then as I started doing more of the design end, I still used mc because it worked out well for the cnc guys when i had everything set up in mc already. Now I am using Solidworks for design, but I have a seat of mc design too with all the translators, art, moldplus, etc. to use if and when I need too.

Mastercam surfacing is pretty good at this point, there isn't much I can't draw in it, but I will admit Solidworks is the way to go for pure design...

Hey CNCMIKE! I had that same question myself, and quickly found out that I definitely want to buy a seat of Solidworks. I have only used MC for my modeling, but I think it would be worth it to me to learn solid works, just for the assy and boms you can do in it. I would say you’re on the write track; stick with solid works and learn to tool path on MC.

I would like to throw something out though. If you bring models in and you need to add certain geo to drive the toolpathes, it might be beneficial to learn how to do some things in MC so you don’t have to export import all the time. I would like to know what other people on this board do when they have this scenario as well. cheers.gif

I don't get to do any design here. But I still do a lot of surface creation, repair work from bad translations, prep for machining in mastercam, etc.. Once I get a file from my designers, mastercam has all the tools I need to make the part machinable.

RandyN I have been in the same boat. used mastercam for Mold making sense the start for me.

Moldplus is the tool to make it faster.

Mike I see you found your way.

I am in the middle of a SW class to get better acquainted and start doing some design in it and soon play with pathing in it to.