Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

project to a surface

Tim Pruett

Tim, I have had trouble with this B4.

quote:

Has anyone found a work around for this?

I have drawn a box all the way around the part and try projecting from all the different angles. After a while and a few choice words I get something to work.

Don't remember having troule with this in 9 or 8......... headscratch.gif

Hey you have 306 posts now...............

cheers.gif

Tim,

I have had a lot of issues with this... What I have found works most of the time is to get the geometry you are trying to project fairly close to the top of the surface you are trying to project it on to... and make sure the "normal" box is checked vs "view" in the surface projection options... Hope this helps...

I have had this same problem since X came out. Project to surface may or may not work at any given time, with a "projection not found". Then I exit MC and restart it, reload trhe file and it works for awhile again.

I have posted about it a few times, and usually most people haven't had issues with it, so I don't expect it to be fixed any time soon...

O.K. , I updated mastercam to mr2 sp1 and I'm still having problems projecting entities to a surface.

Here's a controversial issue: I don't use the wcs. I just change my construction plane. Like if I want to project a line onto the front of my part, I change to the front construction plane, pick the entity and project it to the surface. But this doesn't always work. My questions are, isn't this the way it's supposed to work, and are the rest of you who are having this problem using the wcs,

"...Like if I want to project a line onto the front of my part, I change to the front construction plane..."

Make sure the projection method is set to 'View' if you want to project in a certain direction.

'Normal' is really only for the case where your curve(s) is/are close to your surface(s) and you want to snap them onto it - and there's a 'maximum distance' control in that method only.

• 4 months later...

can someone plz explain to me why project onto a surface will not work properly.

i have the same issues everyone else has.....why would something as basic as "project" not be fixed?

i've found mcam x2 mr2 sp1 to be very unstable.

all i want to do is "project"......a 2 minute operation turns into a 1 hr PIA... banghead.gif

i don't understand????....2 steps fwd 1 back