Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thank you for Back-up.

crazy^millman

Well I have the part I am working on I lost count of how many times Mastercam has sent crash reports out. Well this last time it took my 42 mb file and turned it into 3mb. Erased over 70 solids from the file and erased all the solid drive geometry that goes along with it. I am only at 98 operations and probably 45 hours worth of work. I only lost about the last hour of work thanks to Back-up. People do not use auotsave, but I do and this time it saved my bacon.

With big files, AutoSave is suicide.

A file like that takes 30-90 seconds

to save.. You are working away

and don't realize that Autosave is

trying to write to disc.

Autosave is writing and you're banging away

at the keyboard... the result is a lockup

and a bad save.

After bunch of crashes like this check out your TEMP

folder and clean it out.. it should be empty when

Mastercam is closed.

When you crash a lot of junk gets left behind and it can

conflict with future sessions.

Cleaning temp may make things more stable.

Tom I clean it out one or twice a week. I get pulled away from desk to much to not use autosave. If I could sit here and just program without having to go put out this fire or that fire and just program I would probably not use autosave, but I have to stop and do this and go out the machine and help them with that, help with a quote, or whatever and if I forget and it crashes I would rather lose that one hour than those 45 hours everytime. I always forget and then it is at the end of the day and I have lost a whole days work.

From Friday to today it had 117 files and 38mb of information in the temp directory.

Well this time with no autosave on it corrupted the file. I got my 10 back-ups though. I am saving after every operation at this point. This is for the Integrex I am doing some 5 axis curve toolpaths and doing some elipitical pockets normal to a floor most of the way then normal to the side of the endmill at the end. I know have my 10 back-ups that are 42mb, I have my crash file that is 3.6mb and I have my 0kb file that has nothing in it. Oh what fun.

quote:

If I could sit here and just program without having to go put out this fire or that fire and just program I would probably not use autosave, but I have to stop and do this and go out the machine and help them with that, help with a quote, or whatever and if I forget and it crashes I would rather lose that one hour than those 45 hours everytime. I always forget and then it is at the end of the day and I have lost a whole days work.

same here !!

but i don't use autosave , if i regen when saving , mc automaticaly freeze and crash

what i do , is everytime i got to leave my desk to gon in the shop , i save all my application before leaving my chair , this way i never lost anything

I know it is this old computer here at the shop. My computer at home with this same file has no problem what so ever. So not really Mastercam fault, more the box I am trying to run this work on the CPU fan has been going crazy for a few days now. Oh well such is life in the big city.

Ron,

If you can, run the nohist chook.

It will make a huge difference in

speed and stability.. but

you will loose the history tree on your solids.

Sometimes I'll keep a copy of the file with the solids and run nohist on the working file.

Yeah doing that where I can. I normally send them out as a .xb in a main file or file and then import them into the working file. Just one of those files and days no matter what nothing is going good fast. Just keep plugging away till I get it.

Thanks for the responses. How have things been? I lost my cell so I don't have your number or I would have called.

[ 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Crazy^Millman ]

I had the same problem last week. Had about 8 hours into a program, saving after everything. Got to the very end, regenerated the final toolpath, went to save and BANG! MC freezes during the middle of the save and I lose EVERYTHING! Not even an entity on the screen. I decided to call it a day shortly after that. rolleyes.gif

Coincidently I downloaded the AIchook the other day and notice it has a backup in it, I never even knew it existed. Needless to say, the backup has been set-up and is running. I wish I had known about it earlier though. frown.gif

I don't use autosave or the auto backup because like Ron my files get real big and I don't want 10 that are 100,000+kb big. So I just have my main file and then I add a B right before the .mcx extension and I regularly save those 2 files back and forth until I'm done. A couple of weeks ago I had a file that kept crashing on me (unusual nowadays) so I actually had 3 files: my main one, b.mcx and c.mcx. just to be safe.

I'm also on second shift (by choice) so I don't get all the interruptions all the other cam guys in the office get.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I am also in the minority, I use AutoSave. Works for me.

I've found in X2, most of my crashes are a the result of my SpaceNavigator. In X3, those problems went away... so far.

Using Backup here but whatI don't like is when I have two sessions of X2 running they both backup to the same file and it defeats the purpose. Any tips on setting the backup so each session writes to the files folder as backup.mcx? I did this with V9 with no problem. I haven't really had the time to try and figure it out with x2.