Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I'd Like Mastercam To Allow Me To:

NeilJ

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

I should have gone Sundays and skipped class the rest of the week because there was a teacher who was there on Sunday whose class I could have taken that did know that:

"watching and reading is a very slow learning method. Period. Repetition is key. I had a calc professor tell me that "it takes an average of nine repetitions to learn any given task".

Not quite sure where he got that info, but he was pretty adamant about it..."

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jon's two favorite words, "I", and "me". Telling, VERY TELLING.

quote:

...That doesn't work for me...

quote:

...I wouldn't want you to waste your time...

We ALL waste our time on you for some reason that escapes all reason.

quote:

...I need to move on to a source that understands how I learn and can provide me with the visual presentation I often need to really grasp the subject matter...

Here's my unsolicited advice for you Jon, you are incapable of being successful in this industry. (I've only ever told that to one other peson) You lack the basic fundamental problem solving skills that this job requires.

Case in point, my 12 year old son knows and understands programming better than you Jon, and I've only shown him a few basic features of the software. I didn't tell him go look for some online videos, figure it out, if you have questions, I'll answer them. Shoot by the time he's out of high school, if he chooses programming as his trade, and continues to progress the way he has ofer the last few months he will be better than most of us in this forum by that time - which is scary. He is successful because he just figures stuff out - like almost all of us in here Jon.

Some of us in here make stuff that people's lives depend on. We've spent our time DOING Jon. That's the key, just do it. If you need documentation and training videos to hold your hand through the whole process, this career is not for you.

So with all that said, please do EVERY online comunity you've ever polluted a favor and make a career change. It's nothing personal Jon, you just lack the basic fundamental problem solving skills to do the job adequately. There are certain skills that you either have our you don't that cannot be taught and are necessary for this job. No amount of video training, documentation, showing somebody something will give a person that skill.

I want to play football for USC Jon. I can promise you, no amount of training, preparation, or desire will ever enable me to play football at USC. EVER! I am not well suited for that sport, just like you are not well suited for this career. Find something you're good at and something you enjoy and do that. You'll be a MUCH happier person, you won't go around calling people "@$$holes", and "clique idiots" all the time.

I'm out!

quote:

So with all that said, please do EVERY online comunity you've ever polluted a favor and make a career change. It's nothing personal Jon, you just lack the basic fundamental problem solving skills to do the job adequately. There are certain skills that you either have our you don't that cannot be taught and are necessary for this job. No amount of video training, documentation, showing somebody something will give a person that skill.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 cheers.gif

Shall I make a video or some documentation

to read that fer ya ??

PEACE biggrin.gif

The following was written by Mike Mattera and posted to another forum:

"I’m just not a fan of written documentation. I would rather someone just show me how it’s done. It’s quicker. It’s also better for review at a future date."

"The problem with written documentation is that they tell you what to pick, but not always "Why" you’re picking it. You need to know "why" so when you do your parts it makes more sense about the process. In my Video Training I tell you why you’re picking something. Big difference."

I ordered Mike Mattera's Surfacing CD today. I already have Mike Mattera's Rotary and Contour CD.

Mike Mattera's Mastercam video training played a big part in helped me to land the job I have programming and machining for the largest and most successful company of it's kind. The same is true for Jayson Kramer's numerous videos.

Mike Mattera's Mastercam videos can be found here:

www.tipsformanufacturing.com

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Mike Mattera's Mastercam video training played a big part in helped me to land the job I have programming and machining...

How much longer you have on your probation Jon?

While were on the subject of video training. I'd like to see In House Solutions offer advanced video training... not only to end users but for Mastercam VAR's to sell to end users.

We're about to purchase a trunnion from Haas so we can do 5 axis machining. I mentioned this to Mike Mattera on the phone today and he's got a lot on his plate so I doubt he will be doing a 5 axis video to meet our time frame. Next up from Mike Mattera will be an advanced video on lathe.

To give someone who doesn't know an idea how big the market is for high quality advanced video cadcam training, check out this company that is local to me. They are doing more and more for CAMWorks and SolidCAM because the demand is there.

www.solidprofessor.com

I really wish In House Solutions would do the same for Mastercam and make this a very high priority.

[ 08-23-2008, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: NeilJ ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So Jon, when was the last time I locked a thread? Since you're so all knowing and all...

A good friend of yours on the News Group gives me the heads up when your keyboard spews forth it's diahrea(sp?), which lately is often... you really should get that looked at Jon.

I know there seems to be a lot of bad blood between Jon and the gurus on this forum. I appreciate the help I have received here. I never, ever wanted to be a machinist. I have a college degree and wanted to be in full time ministry, but alas, here I am. The worst part of it is, here at my company I am the mastercam guru. cuckoo.gif And when I was on the floor I trained ALL the new guys. For some reason there seems to be this attitude that the school of hard knocks is the BEST way to learn. I'm not quite sure why that is. I've gotten knocked pretty hard as I've tried to learn an industry that I care nothing for. But once I've learned it (on the floor previously or now at my desk with mastercam) this is the theory by which I teach and which the old apprenticeships (I believe) operated.

1) show the person. I go slow enough to show my trainees what I need to do. This is the painstaking phase because I have to go slow enough that they can take notes, then read the notes back to me, make sure those notes make sense and then try out the notes and see if by following the notes they can actually do what I just showed them.

2.) let the person try while I watch. That kind of blends with the end of #1. I've got a computer set up 3 feet from mine so all I have to do is lean over to watch or offer help or answer questions. Questions are never ever dumb, even the 30th time I answer it. If my employer choses not to fire an incompetent machinist or programmer then it is my responsibility (aka as the golden rule) to help that person regardless of how many times I have to help them.

3) last phase let the person do it himself and answer any questions that come up from time to time from new situations.

I know the school of hard knocks can teach some things that no one else can. I also know that having a hunger to learn things is a key to become gurus like you guys. But it took me 6 of the most stressful months of my life to learn mastercam through hard knocks while the then guru acted like he couldn't be bothered. I can catapult the guys I train through those 6 months in about a month of training my way. Little stress and only a little slow down for me the first week or two. Once I get them to a functional level then their drive and desire will determine if they want to become gurus like you all or just stay a good and functional programmer.

jm2c

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In my years as a Mastercam instructor I found that the effort the student put forth when not in the classroom was a HUGE determining factor in the student's success or failure. In other words, the students that put time into learning either on the job or after hours were by far the most successful. The power of classroom instruction should never be underestimated. I know we all work day jobs, sometimes getting up at 4:00am working 10 to 12 hour days and sitting in a classroom from 6:00 to 10:00 is THE LAST thing we want to do. My grandfather one told me "... you get out of life what you put in. If you put forth effort, you will be rewarded...". So far every piece of advice he's ever given has been spot on.

If our jobs as programmers, moldmakers, tool and die makers, and machinists were easy, anyone could do it. But as anyone who has spent any meaningful time in the industry knows, that just is not the case. The wide range of materials, workholding devices/methods, machine tools, cutting tools, etc... Just compounds the difficulty. So when someone that is not willing to put forth any effort, wants knowledge spoon fed to them with little to no effort, then on to pf that, just complains about this or that... Yeah, that individual is going to take some heat; and rightfully so. You don't ask for help, take the help, decide that help does not meet the needs of your learning styl then proceed to berate that person, calling them names and attacking their character. It's just not right... Just not right.

JMHO

James,

I wasn't trying to justify what Jon has done. The gurus on this forum including you, Ron, Colin, etc. etc. have all been wonderfully helpful, but that doesn't mean there isn't an attitude out there of "I had to learn by hard knocks, you can too." If a person only wants spoonfed, obviously he will limit himself with how far he can go. The best teacher in the world can't MAKE someone want to put in the extra effort it requires for anyone to truly become good at something.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Sorry Scott, I didn't mean to sound like you were justifying his attitude/actions. I just wanted to lay out what in my experience I have seen that makes a good programmer. In all reality, those traits make anyone that has the capacity to learn goood at what they do.

Hardmill, please make the video. biggrin.gif don't for the bulleted documentation to go alng with it. Send it to JBTech.

"I can catapult the guys I train through those 6 months in about a month of training my way."

I'd like to see more people who really have a lot to offer, like you obviously do, think about taking the next step and reaching outside their physical contact area and put what they know about Mastercam on video.

Lots of people talk the talk about wanting to really help the industry or help others yet most refuse to consider video as a way to better convey what they have no problem typing. You can only convey so much by typing words. Very similar to trying to learn machining by reading a book.

With well done Mastercam video you can watch and do it yourself in Mastercam and you can repeat it over and over till you get it if need be.

The hypocrisy of those who claim in numerous forums and on Usenet that they are all about helping others but refuse to really think about what this really entails and what really is the best way to help others is one of the reasons our industry has so many problems. When someone feels that I should be grateful for whatever they decide to give me I know from experience it's time to find someone else who really cares more about teaching than about feeding their own ego.

It's very clear to me that you have given a lot of thought to making things better for others so they don't have to waste time and experience the needless frustration that you went through learning Mastercam. Unfortunately I think what you experienced is the rule rather than the exception.

I have no doubt you're an excellent teacher. In my experience those who are excellent teachers have the exact same attitude toward teaching that you do.

I'm always amused when someone wants to tell me their a Christian at every possible chance but their actions speak differently about what their true motives are when closely examined. They feel they are doing your a favor by helping you and that you must always be indebted to them.

One of the most valuable things I think I've learned in life is to never to tolerate this attitude. The price you pay is never worth it.

"but that doesn't mean there isn't an attitude out there of "I had to learn by hard knocks, you can too."

This attitude is the norm rather than the exception. Perhaps this is why I'm so vocal in my praise for Mike Mattera, Jayson Kramer and Derek Goodwin who truly care about helping someone understand the concepts they teach and who always seem to make your understanding of the concepts they teach their first priority.

Have a tab in the Machining Operations Manager that would hold the choices that All and Only now have as well as all the Quick Mask options. Maybe call this tab in the Machining Operations Manager the Selection Manager.

In my opinion this would be preferable to what exists now with a glut of toolbar icon choices.

[ 08-23-2008, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: NeilJ ]

Have a WCS icon for each machining operation be shown in the Machining Operation Manager. Click on this icon and be taken directly to that operations WCS. I'd also like to be able to drag and drop, copy and past the WCS icon between machining operations like you can do with the Parameters, Chains and Geometry icons.

View Sheets:

While I don't use View Sheets much right now I really like the View Sheet interface with its tabs on the bottom of the Mastercam graphics screen. What I think would make View Sheets much more powerful is the ability to attach a WCS to a View Sheet. When a Mastercam user clicked on a View Sheet the WCS that was assigned to the View Sheet would becomes the active WCS. Making changes to multiple toolpath groups would be a lot faster and easier this way.

It would also be helpful to me to be able to run multiple sessions of Backplot and Verify that could be tied to View Sheets

This is just the tip of the iceberg with the power that Views Sheets could be given.

[ 08-23-2008, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: NeilJ ]

Jon,

Your View Sheets idea, Selection "masks" tab, and drag/drop of the WCS have all been made as enhancement requests, in one form or another, in the Beta Forum. CNC Software has logged them and they are in the "implementation que"...

Well, hold on, I'll have to check specifically about the 'selection masks' tab. The request might not have been that specific, and if not, your idea was a good one.

I'm with you Jon on the not caring about who gets credit for the idea, I just want better functionality and to help make everyone's life easier when using the software.

Please post a list of your top two or three video requests, and I'll see if I can whip some up and post them on the FTP.

I've used Camtasia for a few years now, and I used to create Mastercam training videos for the reseller I worked for.

I've even been toying with the idea of getting into the Mastercam video production business on the side.

My Reseller (Cimtech from Washington State) has a Haas VF4 with a TR160. If there is specific training for using the trunion table and writing 5 axis toolpaths you would like to see, I'd be interested in producing some. I could let you see a couple for free to provide feedback, but I'm sure Steve (Cimtech's owner) will want to create a whole series of videos for 5 axis trunion work, and sell these videos as a package. I think this is a reasonable approach.

I have also noticed that you have been more civil and refraining from some of the more personal attacks, and I want to compliment you on that.

To all other Forum Members,

I know Jon has personally upset many of you. Lets all try and bury the hatchet on this one guys (and gals).

In the imortal words of Rodney King; "can't we all just get along?"