Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X3 MU1 is Released

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up and running on MU1, I did get an error initially when running verify for the first time (Invalid or corrupt file) on each tool but the error went away after I finished verification. Other than that no problems.

Elco1971

X3 MU1 Mill L3 Lathe L1 5X

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.1

Dell Xeon 2.80GHz 2GB Ram

NVidia Quadro FX 4500

Windows XP Pro SP2

quote:

neil,

can't you just go into your "machine group properties" and check "assign tool numbers sequentially"? this way as you generate your mcx file the tools are numbered properly.

It's already checked. Doesn't help when I modify a program and wish to renumber my tools.

I'd be curious to know what the time difference is between X2 MR2 SP1 and X3 MU1 on the benchmark file using the same machine because it feels like a big difference between the two to me.

Perhaps I can now hold off on dropping a grand on the new top of the line core-i7 chip.

quote:

Neil, MU1 is 25% faster. My X3 benchmark time is 4:00 and my X3 MU1 is 3:00. The i7 920 CPU is under $300 and will overclock past 4Ghz so go ahead, spend!

If you're going to spend the money on a core i-7 motherboard and the matched DD3 memory you have to buy to go with it I figure you might as well spend the extra money on a better core i7 chip as well. It's not like Mastercam surfacing toolpath and solid Verify doesn't badly need the extra processing speed.

quote:

It's not like Mastercam surfacing toolpath and solid Verify doesn't badly need the extra processing speed.

True but the 920 overclocked to the same speed as the 965 is faster because of the method used to overclock. The memory and system busses are ramped up too so it's more than just clock speed. And we still haven't seen any benchmarks from an i7 machine yet. What if the smaller cache size of the i7's makes it not any faster than Core 2 Quad for MCX?

About this time next year the smaller (32nm vs.45nm currently) die version of these same chips will be available thus they will have lower heat, lower power use, and stepping optimizations that will make one really worth over $1000. Remember it may be 3-4 years before you take it out of service. Use the $750 savings on a SSD hard drive or a Quadro video card.