Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Has work slowed for you at the end of 2008?

Guest SAMCRO

Just curious how the economic downturn has effected everyone here.

My brother is a home builder in North Carolina and he told me it's already a depression in construction there.

Carolina Builders closed the Greensboro Lumber yard.

I've been there in the past and it's huge.

I'm wondering how long it'll be before we start seeing real problems in the metal working industries.

There were only 4 ads in the skilled section want ads last couple of sundays...a year ago it was pretty much one page. There was one machinist ad. I am with Jarrett; see what the next year and new quarter bring as I am rumored to get a package of tools to build, otherwise I start looking for new business.

At my day job we laid off a couple of design engineers in November so those of use that remain are very busy with the extra projects we have taken on.

As for side contract jobs, this year has been the busiest ever for me and i have made a good bit of extra money. Right now I only have one job I am finishing up this weekend and I had a meeting this morning about a new job for early next year.

We are swamped in the areospace industry. This year we bought four 5-axis mills and two mill/turn machines with more on the way. This brings us up to fourteen mills and six lathes. We work on average 55 to 60 hours per week sometimes more. We also have two other shops that are growing at about the same rate. I just hope it lasts.

I checked out the help wanted in the local paper

this morning. They usually run 2 or 3 pages..

A thru Z. Today is was 1/2 of one page.

Most of the local shops I'm in touch with have cut back thier hours. I'm used to working

6AM-6PM Mon thru Friday and 8 on Saturday.

We're working 8 hour days for the holidays,

I'm hoping we get our OT back after the New Year.

• 2 weeks later...

We are getting slower and slower out here for the last 6-8 months , shutdowns, layoffs, reduced work weeks, etc. Not a good way to start the New Year

Elco1971

X3 MU1 Mill L3 Lathe L1 5X

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.1

Dell Xeon 2.80GHz 2GB Ram

NVidia Quadro FX4500

Windows XP Pro SP2

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Been seeing lots of ads for auctions. Mostly sheetmetal houses but the occasional machine shop creeps in... a little more often than usual.

Most of my customers seem to still be very busy though.

The credit crunch is causing a bunch of problems though. frown.gif

32,that must be the magic number. Insurance went up, hourly wages went down, and 32 hours, across the board for the entire shop here. 25% of the work force laid off throughout the year so far. Got laid off for Christmas and can't get through to the unemployment office. People standing in line all day are getting turned away. curse.gif

Go Lions!