Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis help

jpaige09

Hello. I need some help. I'm trying to cut an o-ring groove on this part. The diamter of the radial surface is 17.01". The o-ring groove is .102" deep and .160" wide. I'm using a 1/8" endmill. The material is 6061 aluminum and I'm running it on a VMC with integrated 4th axis (Fanuc Oi control). The part is clamped to a fixture on 4th axis and the top of the part is 3.078" above the centerline. I'm kinda new to 4 axis machining so I'm not sure how to go about this. I've tried a 3D contour with rotary axis but none of the options in the rotary axis setting work right in backplot or verify, and, the code is not right either. I've tried using roll die too, but I can't seem to figure that out. Do I need to have multiaxis to run the part like this? Thanks for your help! iso.jpgrightside.jpgtop.jpg

quote:

Do I need to have multiaxis to run the part like this? Thanks for your help!

I believe that cut will require it,

I am thinking a Swarf locked down to 4 axis or a curve 5axis locked down to 4 axis.

With a swarf, you'll need to chain the lower and then upper contours.

I've done quite a few parts like that on a Haas

VF-9 with a large 4th axis rotary and tailstock.

I used a 5X swarf toolpath which worked well.

You could also do it with roll/unroll. It would be more difficult and I really don't know what

license is required.

Thanks! I tried using y axis substitution. When I did that, the toolpath was 90 degrees off. I can't seem to figure out why it did that either. I compensated for that in the control, but code still rotated to an angle that was way too steep. When I analyze the angle it should only be about 37 degrees. The 4th axis went up to about 70 degrees. I also tried the 3 axis option but that did the same thing.

quote:

I did a quick model and came up with the same results as you did trying desperatly not to utilize any multi axis toolpaths and no luck ...sorry I think the guys are spot on about It being a Multi-axis path

Thats kinda what I thought. I guess it's time to get the company to shell out some money and upgrade my seat! cool.gif

I think the 4th axis rotation with 2d contour

will work - lay out the geometry flat and do

a y axis subsitution - the y axis length will be

equal to the included angle of the 17.01 radius-

in the top c-plane draw a line eqaual in length to the circumference of the 3.078 dia - a contour toolpath from end to end on this line will go once around the 3.078 dia starting at 0 and ending at 360 - to place the geometry at any

angle move it along the line - end point is 0 middle is 180 etc -draw your groove so that the

length falls at the included angle of the 17.01 dia then translate the groove geo z+ ((17.01/2) - (3.078/2)) then write a contour toolpath and do a y axis substitution uaning 30.078 dia

I can e-mail you an example if you like

Lay the part out flat in the top view - the length of the part around the outside is determined by the included angle that the groove

makes from the dia to the center - then move the geometry up in the z axis by ((17.012) - (3.078)) then do a contour toolpath with Y axis substituted using the 6.156 dia of rotation

I can e-mail you a sample if this is confusing