Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'Wants' for Version 10

kathy

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Wouldn't it be great it the Analyze Attributes function # of toolpath refs was expanded to show the actual operations that are associated with the entity.

There is an option to select operations by geometry in the right mouse options menu in the operation manager. Select the "Select by geometry..." option, select your geometry, and when the operation manager returns all the operations that reference that geometry is now selected. Kinda does what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to call in a solid, then Create...Surface...next menu...from Solid...all settings N except Faces, and then be able to Window in faces en masse. This would allow me to create surfaces only on the side I am viewing, not the back. Presently, I can import the solid as surfaces and remove the ones I don't need, or convert Faces one at a time. Both very time consuming.

What I like to see is a new level manager that allows unlimited 'levels'. Something like what is used when you start searching through files. Add a new folder is like adding a 'level' and you can make a sub-directory.This can be dockable toolbar that can be turned on/off eg all geometry and toolpaths for the core is labeled at the top level with core then under that is all the info for the core.

I like to ask this question from all the users. Would you like to see a CAD side to mastercam that is as strong or stronger then lets say Cadkey? Would you do designs + detailing if you had better tools? Just asking a question

cheers.gif

I would like to be able to group levels together in the levels box. We run panels and flip the part half way through machining. We may have 3 to 10 levels with different features on each level for one side and as many on the other side. I'm looking for one click to turn on or off several levels, kind of like the groups in the operations manager.

Even a new button to reverse on and off would be nice when "used or named" is in effect. (ie turn off all "on" levels and on all "off" levels)

Brian,

I also machine both sides of panels, 'Setup A' & 'Setup B'. I enter these designations into the Levet Set field, but I also have to duplicate the panel side info in the main Level Name field. So I can see what feature is on what side when I get the abbreviated Level Manager.

The whole level manager needs to be-revamped into somthing usable.

Groups is another area that should be overhauled. The first time I 'lost' entities out of a group, I stoped using them except as a temporary fix. I need functions that I can count on, and Groups are unreliable. It would also be helpful to have nested groups. smile.gif

Kathy

The previous 2 requests (before Kathy's) are kinda covered in the software aready.

The following is cut/paste from help file show the functionality you are looking for.

Creating sets of levels provides you with another method of organization. The Level Set column allows you to sort all levels by set name. You can also make sets of levels visible or hidden.

1. Choose Level from the Secondary Menu, or press [Alt + Z]. The Level Manager opens.

2. Double-click the cell in the Level Set column of the level that you want to add to a set. The cell becomes an edit field.

3. Type the set name.

4. Press [Tab] to exit the name edit field.

5. Choose OK to close the Level Manager.

Note: To make a set of levels visible, right-click in the Level Set column and choose All Level Set On. From the same right-click menu, choose All Level Set Off to hide the levels in the set. Mastercam makes visible or hides all member levels of the set name on which you clicked.

Sorting levels makes the list more manageable.

1. Choose Level from the Secondary Menu or press [Alt + Z]. The Level Manager opens.

2. Select Used, Named, or Used and Named from the List Levels area. Selecting a list level option other than All clears empty levels from the list and makes it easier for you to view the results.

3. Click on the column to sort by. For example to sort by level name click the Name column. The Level Manager orders the levels by name in ascending or descending alphabetical order.

Note: You can also sort by name and number in the Levels dialog box.

[ 10-16-2002, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Bouman ]

I would think in all your perfection that you would have the patients to treat people with a little respect. It sounds like you may be some sort of teacher or something? It seems as if you have taken over the question answering for mastercam. Are you being paid by them or do you have to run machines for a living? I would just like to have a little background on your opinion before I value it.

I think the guy with the foot pedals has a great idea, although a friend just turned me on to voice command and a Hewlett Packard space ball, it seems to correct any viewing, rotating, zooming, panning, fitting to screen problem that may arise.(forget the mouse, forget the zoom wheel idea)

There are a whole lot of repairs that need to be made to the current version before trying to rope in new dollars for more sales as we the user find all the bugs at the expense of a core or cavity along the way.(to the tune of 1K to 20K a pop.)

However I would probably never change software, I think Mastercam has some great potential and would love to work on the developing and engineering side.

One of my most hateful events is the constant crashing of the software.

I could go on for quite some time on the crashes in mastercam but I would at least like them to fix one that has been there since the start of version 7.

If you create a tool opp and then go to your tool list and delete the tool (who cares the reason) then return to your operation the system crashes. Or is it just me? James.......?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

It seems as if you have taken over the question answering for mastercam. Are you being paid by them or do you have to run machines for a living? I would just like to have a little background on your opinion before I value it.

Been a machinist since 1991, been using Mastercam since 1992 (V3 actually, also I've used SmartCAM, SurfCAM, and Pathtrace). I still set up my own jobs and run them on occasion or if there are no setup people or operators available. I still clean out machines if I make a mess and I still sweep the floor if it needs to be done. No I do not run machines for a living, I program for a living and teach as a hobby and as a way to give back to an industry that has fed me and my family well for over 10 years. I've worked for a Machine tool builder as an Applications Engineer, training people about High Speed Machining and how to apply the principles for a couple of years while also trining companies how to implement their FMS into their production routine. I also worked for a Mastercam reseller for a couple of years so I think this combined with my years of metal cutting doesn't quite make me an authority but it should at least buy me a bit of cred. I do not get paid by Mastercam to answer questions, I just think my knowledge of Mastercam and how to use it is too valuable to keep to myself. I have not "Taken over", just in case you were wondering my member number is 58 so that puts mt a couple of spots before you, I've just been here longer than most that's all, and I contribute as often as I can.

Is that good enough for you? biggrin.gif

OUT!

Questech,

Please take a chill pill regarding James – he’s doing the best that he can.

The expertise is here all around you; please just look at what this forum really has to offer.

Space balls are hardly a common feature among the hard-core fans of Mastercam; I don’t believe foot pedals are going to go very far either.

Many of us teach and are very active on the floor as well; perhaps I have missed something in my reply, perhaps you are angry with one of James responses?

Please hang tough with your queries – we are professionals here, please show all little respect, no offense intended – just punch-up my name and read the threads; for here there are no experts, for here were all just one happy, insane, bunch of Mastercam junkies.

Regards, Jack

Mastercam is a VERY stable product; in my experience a lot more stable than Corel, Word, Solidworks, or a lot of other products I use or have used.

If you are crashing a lot, you likely have a config problem (try turning OpenGL off) or need updated video drivers.

At any rate, this is something you don't have to live with; you have a problem and your dealer should be able to help you find and fix it.

Questech,

One other note about James – when he places OUT! At the end of his remarks – it sort of means that he is angry with you.

Since this is already your second post – I would seriously consider asking myself, should I pursue this line of questioning?

Welcome to the forum, be nice, and have lots of fun.

Regards, Jack

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jack, I'm impressed. You're quite intuitive. For me "OUT" is one of two things, angry or irratated. In this case it was irritation. NOt really for beig called on the carpet or anything like that just like you said though, it's the guy's second post and he's saying that. Kind of rude if you ask me. Could you sense the sarchasm in

quote:

...just in case you were wondering my member number is 58 so that puts mt a couple of spots before you...

? Yeah, a couple, a couple 3093 spots to be exact not that I'm counting, ROFL!!!!!

No hard feelings though. It's all fun, and I'm not going to stop posting unless someone from CNC, or IHS asks me to. I'm much too thick skinned to be too bothered by stuff liek this. With as many posts as I have, it kind of makes me a target, so it's OK, I accept the challenges.

Have a nice day all.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Regarding the stability issues mentioned above, I must say that tens of thousands of people use Mastercam everyday with little to no problems. It's probably graphics related an you should consult with your reseller about which Graphics Adapter you should be running, this clears up probably 90% of the issues, the other 10% are operator error, bugs, and anomalies.

I've asked this question before and I'll ask it again, what is the liklihood that 12-15 people can come up with every possible scenario/everypossible hardware/software combination on the planet? I'll tell you, NO STINKIN WAY! NO software is completely bug free so why should you expect that Mastercam would be any different. If you're waiting for the perfect program before you buy, wait on. Last time I checked, nobody was perfect, and sice software is made by people, guess what, it's imperfect too. So you have to ask yourself, what degree of imperfection can I live with and act accordingly.

JM2C

questech,

If Mastercam is unstable for you, look at your video card. If it is an ATI, replace it.

If you are not running Win2K, upgrade.

I run mastercam in Win 2K with NVIDIA chipset

video cards and crashes are very very rare.

PS. There are some extremely intelligent and

helpful people on this board. An arrogant and hostile attitude will not get you very far here.

This is not AOL.

[ 10-17-2002, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

This post was inspired by the gentleman requesting metric c-hooks. Have a mechanism inside of mastercam to compile chooks and also to have all the legacy code of all the old chooks so that we have in our directories, so that we can make such changes ourselves. This will add great value to the software and justify at least a 30% increase in the list price of the stuff!

Glenn,

I guess I wasn't clear:

For Example: when you go into the Xform menu, All, Level: the Level Manager dialog box the pops up ONLY shows the level number & name. I would like the full Level Manager dialog box to pop up. Than the Visiable, Level Set and #Entities information is available.

I would like to set a default sort that is active each and every time the Level Manager is opened. Better yet - as I've suggested before do away with the Level Numbers, and the sort becomes a product of the Level Naming.

How about doing away with the 'Mask' funtion, and allow multiple levels to be visiable but unselectable!

Just a little touchy today James? Although questech has the audacity to be a 'newbie' and trounce on toes, I understand his frustration whole heartily! Every time I suggest or touch on a problem that Mastercam can't or won't address, that topic is either ignored or flamed. A lot of time I am made to feel like I'm trouncing all over the golden calf! If CNC won't listen and respond to their users, taking constructive criticism in the spirit it is given, the software will entropy. Nothing personal James.

Kathy

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Kathy,

No I'm not edgey. I just don't like to "hear" some of the things being said in the manner they are being said that's all, and by of all things a 'newbie'. Once upon a time there was a thing called netiquitte(sp?), when you are new somewhere it was a fair idea to troll around for a while, ask some questions, answer some questions BEFORE you come in and question someone's credentials that's all. It's not that I'm opposed to "Flame Wars", sometimes they are even a bit fun. biggrin.gif Heck, I've probably even insighted a couple.

JM2C

quote:

...Every time I suggest or touch on a problem that Mastercam can't or won't address, that topic is either ignored or flamed...

There are 2 types of criticism IMHO, constructive (which is and always should be welcomed) and destructive.

Destructive criticism for example Mastercam Sucks! It crashes all the time, We're going to get another software brand (yeah, that'll help, chances are they have the same problems too, you just don't hear about it because they only have about 3 users for every 100 that Mastercam has) etc... Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. It does nothing to help the situation get better.

Constructive Criticism for example - When I perform this function, Mastercam ALWAYS crashes. It should not do this, when I bought the software I was under the impression it was stable. Please fix this. This identifies a problem/defficiency, and aids in finding a solution to the problem. Some of the blanket statements in here sound like they're coming from a bunch of winey two year olds. It's not bad to expose problems with the software - as a matter of fact it's great to do that, but they need to be reported to [email protected] NOT IN HERE. There is no mechanism here for reporting bugs, it can't be logged or tracked, it's how the product gets better. I think we can all agree that it has room for improvement, but to just make blanket statements without offering up suggestions for improvement is worthless IMNSHO.

There are two types of people in this world, those that are part of the problem and those that are part of the solution. So everybody has to ask themselves "Am I part of the problem of am I part of the solution?".

JM4C