Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'Wants' for Version 10

kathy

quote:

100% Solids based

I wouldn't want that..... I find machining surfaces 10 times easier than solids at this point in time with mastercam. Even though it's basicly computing your solid faces as surfaces...it's just not setup the same. And I don't know about you, but I need the ability to create complex coons surfaces and the likes...which cannot be done with solids. Don't get me wrong, I think solids are great for the CAD side of things, extrusions, and fillets (when it wants to work mad.gif ) and such, but lets face it, MC is not the best solid modler and the world and I think it would be a disaster to switch to solids only...and besides I don't see any benifit to it...(maybe Im not looking hard enough?)

quote:

and on a simple side how about showing a distance between a point(or line) and a line in Analyze... without creating a line between them...

how about Analyze/Between Points....

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" how about Analyze/Between Points...."

Yes but if you want to find the closest distance between a point and a line that is not vert. or horiz. you need to create a line perp. to your line and going thru a point...

That is too much work wink.gif

Having the capability to undo multiple times in both geometry and toolpaths would be beneficial. Also being able to window unwanted points in toolpath geometry. There has to be a quicker way of deleting unwanted points. Finally a faster method of sorting tools in the operations manager, like all drills and all taps sorted seperately without having to change tool numbers. My sort by type option does nothing.

Thanks,

Scot

One improvement i would like to see in MC10 would be to improve upon the plunging routine. Right now mastercam's plunging sucks.

What i don't understand is when we program plunging 'manually on the cnc machine using conversational programming, the plunging routine is nearly 50% faster compared to mastercams' plunging??? confused.gif

quote:

Mackius, try to be more specific and less critical. "Mastercam Sucks" won't help anyone. Are you talking about mill or lathe plunging? 2D or 3D? What controller programs plunging "faster" than MC??

I'm talking about "mill plunging".

On our VMC which uses a dynapath 50M control(conversational), all we do is use a regular drill cycle with stepover. This is considerably faster from what i've observed when using the mill plunging feature of mastercam.(toolpaths,surface,rough)

we were using a 2" endmill, roughing out 3inches deep of material at Feed 40(the part was 30"x6" and 8"deep) Using the mastercam plunge feature it would take us 1hr, but when the operater tried the using a regular drill cycle with a .200" stepover, we were able to do around 30mins or less. =)

[ 05-21-2003, 01:19 PM: Message edited by: Mackius ]

Mackius,

Try surface-rough-plunge and see what you think. If you do not have surfacing capability, try creating a "grid" of points at the correct spacing of your cutter and you can then use a drill cycle as you do with your conversational programming.

My question to you is "Have you been properly trained yet?" Most people that come in here saying that MC sucks usually just has not been "taught" how to use the software correctly for the application of the shop it was sold to.

Not trying to start anything, just pointing out a fact on my personal observation.

[ 05-21-2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Trevor Bailey ]

Mackius

quote:

all we do is use a regular drill cycle with stepover.

This thread is for features that we wish to have but,, do not exist yet. I counted several choices to achive the drill cycle style rough.

I am not convinced that you are familier with our existing programing features,, and I welcome you to study with us .

How about expanding the dialog box (Operations Manager - JobSetup - Import) to show all of the comment information -or- get rid of the operation prefix (simple drill - no peck, peck drill - full retract, boring #1 - no feed...)so more information shows.

I put alot of informtion into the comment field, and information at the right end of the sentance isn't showin!

Kathy

tired of looking at the same thing over and over but without seeing.

Mackius

all we do is use a regular drill cycle with stepover

...what's stopping you from doing the same thing in MC? Toolpaths, Xform, Translate and all your plunging wishes will come true.

quote: "Mastercam Sucks"

...a tool is only as good as the person using it.

Steve

Steve,

quote:

...a tool is only as good as the person using it.

The following was pointed out to me by an irate Englishman about twenty five years ago;"A poor craftsman blames his tools".

Although I agree with your statement, I also agree with the younger brother dressing down the older one when the comment was used in context; the older brother was really pissed at the younger brother and yet did not acknowledge the comment - such is life smile.gif

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

quote:

...what's stopping you from doing the same thing in MC? Toolpaths, Xform, Translate and all your plunging wishes will come true.

Well at the time I didn't think of using it, but now i know, so maybe I'll use it in the future. I still stand by my remarks that the "plunging feature of mastercam sucks", because if i have to manual create points, then use a drill cycle for my endmill, then this technique makes the plunging feature useless in mastercam.

quote:

quote: "Mastercam Sucks"

lol, please read my posts again, i said the plunging feature sucks.

biggrin.gif

JAYESH What version are you running? you can have more then one solid on the screen and do solids next menu layout and go thru the paces and at the end it will give you option for all solids or just one.

By the way this is 9.1.

Hope this helps. wink.gif

The two things I would love to see is a better tool path editor and better verification. I would like to zoom in on my parts after I verify them and be able to see very small detail in a timely manner.. Other then that ,I am pretty happy..

quote:

a better tool path editor

Not sure if you're aware of this feature, but when you're in the Ops Manager, expand an operation, and right click on the NCI path. It will bring up a box that lets you change many many aspects of the toolpath.

'Rekd teh hidden treasures

quote:

Not sure if you're aware of this feature, but when you're in the Ops Manager, expand an operation, and right click on the NCI path. It will bring up a box that lets you change many many aspects of the toolpath.

I am aware of the editor , I would just like to see it changed a little bit.. Have it work a little faster when working with some monster toolpaths.. I have a great system with plenty of memory , but some files take for ever to work with in the editor.. When that happens , I ususally backplot and save the geometry on a different level and change stuff from there.. Don't get me wrong , adding the editor was one of the better things they have added , but there is always room for improvement..

I didn't read all the replys to this post, but here goes anyway. I use Ver. 9.1 Level Three for 5-Axis machining and with the Microsoft TracBall mouse I have been able to program all five buttons to control various functions of MasterCam. Especially the scroll wheel. It zooms in and out without programming. If you right click and engaged pan, zoom or spin you can do two commands at the same time with the ball and the scroll. As a second reply to another topic. Think outside the box. Just because MasterCam has certain defaults doesn't mean you have to keep it that way. The "F" keys are the best example. With one key you can do what takes several clicks of the mouse. Examples are; Autosave, Translate Operations, Drill 5-Axis, etc. I stay away from the Alt-whatevers because it takes my hand away from my mouse. Hope this is a help to someone. biggrin.gif