Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A little OT....cool video

MIL-TFP-41

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the product manager responsible for Dynamic Mill at CNC Software. I have been cutting with Dynamic Mill for well over a year. I'm aware of Volumill and Surfcam's technology's as well. I'm willing to look at any file or part any of you are having trouble with or questioning the motion of using Dynamic Mill. Sometimes it could be a lack of understanding of the chaining techniqes, when to use the "Open machining method", bad settings, or the toolpath needs improvement somewhere. Regardless, all the above discussion is good, however, I need you to help me, I need part files, examples, wishes, communication other than "it failed" or the other guys were better. I'm willing to take all your feedback and information and make Dynamic Mill better.

Are any or your shops in Michigan?

You cannot control the engagement via an engagement angle setting. But, the motion generated will be safe to run similar to how Volumill doesn't program with an engagement angle. Just have a look at the backplots, you'll see safe, consistent motion. I've cleared P20 pockets with isalnds and such cutting 1 inch deep with a 1/2 inch cutter at over 700 IPM safely on Makino's and Okuma's.

quote:

I'm the product manager responsible for Dynamic Mill at CNC Software.

Is the dynamic milling supposed to be capable of a core style roughing at this time? I was able to get it to core rough exactly how Roger stated above. I wasnt sure if it was meant for that, but if it is, I can show you some pictures of the issues that I had with it. IF not then... Will there be a core style roughing using dynamic milling in the future?

And mastercam guru, can you shrink that picture a little... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif its tooooo big.

Neurosis - Yes it is capable of core style machining. Only from the standpoint of machining the identical part you would use core mill for. It will not take a bunch of open cuts, it uses a more efficient approach. Any part you have used core mill on can be switched to a Dynamic mill on the tooltype page, you just have to check the 'open machining method' check box on the cut parameters page to put dynamic mill inito a core mill train of thouhgt. We are considering breaking Dynamic Mill into two toolpaths for X5 "Dynamic Core Mill' and Dynamic Area Mill'. You have those two toolpaths today via the 'open machining method' check box.

You cannot do this with just any carbide tool. I was using an Iscar CF series. You can safely run at 245IPM at 4584RPM, 489IPM at 9168RPM, 611IPM at 11,460RPM, or 733IPM at 13752RPM all at a 10% stepover. Yes it's a small stepover but the MRR is higher than traditional feeds and larger stepovers even if you choose to use RCTF for an adjustment. Technically you can go faster but will your machine achieve these high feedrates due to accel and decel? If you run these high feedrates on a machine that cannot achieve them due to weak acccel and decel, you will actually be running a much slower feedrate at the machine, which will generate much smaller chips that do not have the mass to pull heat away with them. That heat will then have to go some where like in the tool or the workpiece. You might want to choose the 244IPM for a slower machine. You have to know your equipment!

Dave C. good to see you in on this topic!

The "issues" I've had with the cimco adaptive clearing in the past, which dynamic mill is very similar to, have to do with going around outside corners. While dynamic mill does a great job of keeping a consistent angle of engagement, that doesn't mean the tool load doesn't change.

Example: 45 degree engagement on a .5" endmill (.0732 stepover)

.200" move in straight line removes .0057 square inches of material

.200" moves where the direction of movement keeps at ~45 degrees that same .200" move removes .0329 square inches, 5 times more material is removed as it moves around an outside corner.

I know you don't have a 45 degree direction change consistantly over .200" but this is just an example to show how tool load changes.

Of course we can use the high feed filter to modify the feedrate based on volume, but if this could be incorporated directly into the dynamic mill that would save time and complexity.

HTH

David,

do you think dynamic mill would be beneficial for this part:

http://www.emastercam.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...ic;f=1;t=034506

I tried to configure it,(as well as other paths) but couldn't get the path I wanted. I wanted to use trochoidal techniques because it is 304 stainless.

I could send you the file if you want to take a look.

Thanks,

-Mike