Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Restart X4 (??) times a day?

rsbeadle

I am restarting X4 or Save/Reopen a file between 40 and 50 times a day because of glitches or bugs. I just wonder if everyone is having the same trouble. Maybe we can start a poll? I will wait a little longer for the anouncement of a service pack or maintainance update, but if it is not soon I will go back to X3. I am losing at least an hour a day because of bugs.

I had several crashes a day, but seems to be fewer after some of the windows updates in the last two weeks. I'm running MCX4 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit. The crashes are intermittent and I can't narrow it down to any certain problem.

I used to have those kind of troubles with my old computer on X3. Seems like there was a conflict or something that would cause it to glitch out or freeze up or whatever several times per hour. Since I built a new computer I've only had to restart Mastercam (X3 or X4) maybe a couple times a week because of problems or errors.

I usually close Mastercam between finishing one job and starting another, but I also will sometimes run 3 or 4 sessions at once if I'm looking for something or comparing something between files.

Let me say first that I am not crashing, I just have some glitches that cause me to have to close and reopen X4. I am using imported autocad geometry so part of the problem may be with the translator. Most every time I xform translate or mirror I get duplicate entities that do not delete with delete duplicates until I save the file and reopen. Even then I sometimes have to save some to another file and then delete duplicates and then reimport the goemetry back in to the original file. Most every time I delete geometry I get ghost geometry that will not go away until I save then reopen. Sometimes when I copy geometry to another level it does not copy until I save and reopen. I also have a problem when I start a 2d toolpath I get a blank pop up window and then " A required resource was missing" box and I have to save and restart. I will stop there but I am having some other minor problems are not as time consuming.

My system is:

Dell Precision Workstation 690

Xeon dual core 5160 @ 3.0Ghz

2gb ram

XP Pro SP3 32 bit

Nvidia Quadro FX4500

I would blame the system, but X3MU1 was the most stable version yet. I am back to pulling out what is left of my hair with X4.

I will check the Temp folder setting to se if this is a problem. Some of the problems seem to be graphics related, so I will look into some settings changes that may be affecting Mastercam.

Thanks for the help.

I have had the same problem exactly. If anyone knows the fix please reply. I am using NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL graphics. I am also having problems after I save and restart mastercam and clean operations turn dirty and some get locked telling me that I have a repaired NCI.

Steve ..

if you're running Dell video drivers, uninstall them and get drivers from Nvidia's driver page.

The latest SolidWorks certified always seems to work best with Mastercam...

and this one is real simple to check

Settings/Configuration/Screen

make sure Open Gl and Disable Front Buffer

are checked

I am also getting the dirty ops and the locked ops with repaired nci notes.

My box for disable front buffer was not checked, but I am using open gl.

I am using the nvidia solidworks driver. I don't understand why CNC software does not work with nvidia and get us a certified driver for Mastercam. They recommend nvidia cards but don't give any settings that work best with mastercam software.

I haven't tried the regenerate display list I will try that, but I did not have this problem with any other X version.

I did change the temp folder with no change in software behavior. I have changed my config file to delete duplicates on file open and it has saved some headaches. I also tried to turn off xform preview with no change.

Thanks for the help.

In addition to the ghost lines I'm getting phantom drill point selections. I tried a 4th axis drill (1 hole) using the Haas 3-4 axis MP Master post and machine def's. Geometry showed 1 point selected but backplot had 3. So I tried same thing with 5 ax post and geometry showed 9 pt's selected and backplot ran nine moves, six of them at various Z height on right hole, the rest are scattered about but occur in open space, nothing to select. Also a linear surface cut using A axis for positioning output F9999.9? feedrate using 3-4 axis def's, and errored out with 5 axis def's saying one hole exceded axis limit's when no limits are set.

Today I did a two surface blend and got 10 copies of the two surfaces and the blend surface, but when I tried to delete duplicates it found no duplicates so I had to delete every surface manually.

I had to turn off delete duplicates on file get in my config file as it was crossing levels and deleting same geometry on different levels. Each time I opened the file more duplicates were found until only the geometry that had associated toolpaths was left.

I am still waiting for someone from CNC Software to put some info into this thread. I have not nailed down enough repeatability to send something to QC to check out.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Very few crashes... sever glitches and bugs here. Seems like everytime i reopen a file it has to fix the NCI for at least one program. then it locks the program. Every one in a while it won't let me regenerate a program, especially using Cimco HSM.

MCX4

Vista

Yesterday I model and entir mold cavity (not huge mind you)programmed it and had Zero problems until I ran the path.

base.jpg

It errored out with a corrupt data type issue on toolpart part way through a 1/2 ball path. I just reposted it from that tool to the last one ran it, it got passed the point where it stopped and I left it running for 7 hrs and in the morning every thing was good.

I have not had any crashes but I also need to save, exit, and reopen to clean up many little pesky problems. One in particular happens when I try to change the value for a solid fillet in the operations manager. It is named as a fillet and the fillet is highlighted when I click on the nam but when I try and edit the parameters the extrude parameters screen comes up.

"...Today I did a two surface blend and got 10 copies of the two surfaces and the blend surface....I am still waiting for someone from CNC Software to put some info into this thread. I have not nailed down enough repeatability to send something to QC to check out...."

rsbeadle, That sounds repeatable, nothing you can send us?

I can't reproduce it here in a simple test.