Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best way to machine aluminum?

bm1983

the plate to machine is 1.0 think. it covers most of the machine table so i can put 2 clamps on each end and a couple across the front. There are 15 or so pockets roughly 3''x5'' with 1/2 rads, dowels, and drilled holes.

im more concerned about the pockets. What ideas can you guys give me to get the material out of there in a hurry.. drill out the center then use a 1/2 3flute carbide endmill with multi pass option, working from the center out? or would contouring the entire pocket with ramp option be more realistic?

Depending on the tool and the grade of material, and your spindle RPM.....You should be able to run max RPM, 12000 at about 200-300 IPM (depending on depth cuts).

You could drill a start hole, or could drill out the corners, but you don't need to. Pocket cycle with helical entry would do it.

bm1983,

Three flute powdered metal roughing endmills get the material out in a hurry. I'm not sure if they would work with dynamic mill, but they work great using mastercams regular 2D pocket routines. You may want to try roughing all the pockets with a .750 diameter three flute roughing endmill then going back to finish with .500 diameter three flute finisher. I would prefer a horizontal to a vertical so the chips fall out of the pockets. Cleveland makes great 3 flute powdered metal roughers and destiny tool makes a great three flute finisher called "The Viper".

Those Destiny Viper's are amazing cutters. Their Diamond Back three flute roughers are just as amazing. They claim that you can take very heavy chip loads on the Diamond Backs and I was able to put that to the test with great results. We were easily able to get .015 ipt. Our spindle started to crap out before we could push the end mill as hard as they recommended.

I rough a lot of pockets with a 3/4" solid carbide rougher from Iscar (ERCI-E-3), 12750rpm, 265ipm on 40 taper horizontals. Finish with IMCO Streakers. Haven't got around to loading X4 yet, but these tools have done a great job here. Have tried about everything else the various salesmen have thrown at us and for the cuts we make nobody has beaten them yet.

+1 for SLJ.....There was a production job on a cell running none stop with a cutter very simular to the indexable iscar theepres was talking about. The machine did not have a very fast spindle ( 15000 rpm ) and the insert hit the corner wrong and exploded. The insert went through the plexiglass then hit the wall on the back side of the machine. It left a mark in the wall that was brick 2 x 2 x .5 deep. Ever since I used solid carbide. Just something to think about.

X4 NX V5 NCL

I've got the 1.25" Heli-Alu in the click-fit version on most of our machines.Works great, just ordered another 10 boxes of inserts! We had them build us some 2" long versions (original had 3.5" reach) and they now have it in the catalog as a special. With it and the 3/4 rougher I get most of my roughing done. The Heli-Alu also finishes walls on a few parts.