Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Parameter settings

Hey all,

I was just wondering what other end users think about the new layout for the parameters in X4. I personally, think it’s horrible, seems to be kind of backwards and confusing I always liked it with all the settings (contour parameters) on one page or tab. Just seems to take a lot longer when programming. Would like to know what other end users think.

Thanks.

its ok but could use some improvements i HATE having to scroll thru the tree what a PIA i like that it gives you an overview of how things are set tools, coolant (x style dont stick) etc if the window was bigger might help

quote:

Just seems to take a lot longer when programming.

yes

I think it’s horrible. I like the intentions but I don’t think the design has been given good thought. Even each screen is poor. What I mean is, each screen has all kinds of un-used space yet some areas have scrolls to see all. Very, Very poor in my opinion.

I think the old screens flowed much easier and made more sense. Also, you would think for coolant on/off they could have a nice icon instead on the words on/off in the lower summary window. It would be much easier to pickup. Now they call the approach and depth screen “linking parameters”. Not a big deal but I can figure out where that nomenclature came from.

I hated the tree style in the HST's and I hate it now in the 2d paths. It's not unusual for me to have over 60 operations in a single file, and the tree style takes WAY too long to page through all the settings! So much more can be fit on a single page. CNC, please lose this tree style or give me the option to page down a list on a single page without any graphic bells and whistles.

quote:

A bad design is a bad design. I would prefer a good design than getting used to something less....

I suspect this is just a rough draft of what is to come.

As we all can see, it is painfully obvious that marketing is more important to CNC than solid code, leading them to release "as is". But if you are a developer, you can understand the size of the undertaking here.

I have faith that CNC will "catch up" in the next couple of releases. wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Personally, the parts I see, I routinely use the same geometry for different toolpaths. I did a part the old fashioned way, was 3.5 hours. With X4 and the new tree style, 2.25 hours. That's an hour and change difference. Granted, it does take a little longer to go through the menus, the time I save, PALES in comparison to the time I used t spend. I've wanted them this way since they first introduced the tree style toolpaths when it was only the HST stuff.

On a side note, I find myself using the HST stuff about 75-80% of the time now.

quote:

Normally we don't share what goes on in Beta

Maybe more sharing / dialog with the users on the forum would streamline the design process as to make it right from the start.

That may sound harsh and I don't mean it to, but some things should get more attention in the start so they can come out correct and not force users to deal with poor issues until "the next release".

Although this may not be the most important issue, for me it's troublesome since it really apprears that a novice designed the screens. The fields don't even line up top to bottom or left to right.....Anyway you put it, it's sloppy.

The bottom line is

X was a big improvement over V9

X4 is a big improvement over X thru X3

X5 will be an improvement over X4.

It's progress..good progress IMO.

There is stuff in the tree I don't like..

I think Tip Comp should be ON the Linking Paramters page not a submenue...but like it or not I get my work done faster in X4 than I did X3 and that's what its all about.

I've spent the last couple of days working with a V9 version of Verisurf... and V9 SUCKS!!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I am also faster with each release. "Good Flow" is going to be elusive because we all work differently and a V9 and earlier user has a different idea. Many Beta Members have shared/submitted screen shots of improvements.

As for more sharing in the main forum about future development..... Not a big fan. Mastercam's Competitors come in here. That would not be smart. Join the Beta Program where the "eyes" can be somewhat regulated.

JM2C