Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 MU1 Crash Regenerating Toolpath

Thee Rickster ™

What restore and how do you do it?

....and....

I added 2 surfaces to 4 paths

waterline

scallop

waterline rest

scallop

I tried it again regenning all 4 and it crashed

i tried it again 1 at a time and it crashed on the 2nd one, the scallop!!

I tried it again one at a time the 2 waterlines....then saved....then the first scallop....it worked....then saved...then the last scallop....it worked????

Now i am going to save/close MC/turn off system restore/reboot and go on to something else....

Thanks

Rick

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for kicks, Rick.. Try taking ownership of your mcx directory and propagate to subs. Or at least check to see ownership.

My computer - right click on MCX directory - Security tab - Advanced button - Owner tab.

Who is the owner?

To change owner... in same place - click on your name in "Change Owner To" box - make sure "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" is checked.

Make sure to close all MC apps before doing this if you choose to.

I just re-installed all of Windows XP and Mastercam thinking I had a currupt system because of the TP regen memory access error. banghead.gif

I now have X3 MU1 installed and system working well... and am about to load X4. Has this been pinpointed to X4 MU1? If so I will avoid loading it and put up with the "other" issues of X4.

I get this temp file access error often on large 3-D toolpath calulations. Most often during regen, but sometimes on initial toolpth as well.

Very frigen irritating with TONS of lost production. GRRRR!

I can confirm the issue is with Version X4. I haven't loaded X4 MU1 yet and as soon as I installed X4 and regened the file in question (using version X3 that worked previously) I got the error again. This is with a brand new 2 day install of XP with latest SP3 updates. My guess is both X4 and X4MU1 are Fubar. I see nothing in X4 that would make me miss it. Slower toolpath param open (machine does a 2 sec. stall), mixed new and old parameter methods with 3-D toolpath being left behind in V X3 style ect. Looks like another rush release IMO. bonk.gif

System restore acts like a TSR and monitors activity that occurs in the registry. It doesn't necessarily update daily, it only updates when something changes that has an effect on your PC. Move or delete or modify something in the OS, it creates a restore point. Add or remove software, same thing. Simply adding files won't force a restore point. What sux about it is that it isn't reliable about creating restore points all the time, and it's a resource HOG. IMO, the unpredictable results isn't worth the hit you take on performance. I get the OS tweaked, then export the REG manually. I'll also export the REG when I'm about to load some major software (when I'm not being lazy).

Rick, another option worth pursuing would be to start a second user account immediately after doing a fresh install of Windows or going dual boot on your system. Use that account/separate OS for CAC/CAM only. No AV, e-mail, file indexing, system restore or anything like that, just pure cad apps. Also terminate networking if possible. Running your OS almost naked could help trouble shoot what's taking place here.

If I don't have to do that with ANY other software,

WHY 'should I have to do that with Mastercam.

AGAIN, It only started happening with X4 MU1 on my systems.

I am going to get yet another new harddrive and

and format it and start fresh again on this system

Since it didn't help at home why should it work now.

But I do it every 6 month whether I need it or not.

MY IT outsource says its the software.

He does the IT work for many companies in my city

and I am the only one he know with mastercam.

He has heard about all my problem since I started on X2

And the only one with this problem.

quote:

what problems were you having, if you can recall?

A X2 version on my machine was completely unuseable.. It crashed regening simple toolpaths.. crashed slecting surfaces..it crashed cause I went a got a cup of coffee.. I was dead in the water..

Turning off restore was a last desperate shot in the dark and it solved the problem instantly..

A point about restore..

I defrag my hard drive at work weekly using the Windows defrag utilty.

Over the weekend I discovered that I had an extra lisence of Diskeeper and installed it

on my workstation at work..

It repotred my hard drive was 57% fragged and in danger of failure. Windows Defrag say I was

fine.

Glancing through the reports of fragged files, Restore files were the most common.

Diskeeper was crunching away in the background all day yesterday and by the end of the day my system seems to be launching apps a little quicker.

Turning off restore is no a small thing..

It has saved me too.. but it is always working in the background.. churning your hard drive and

eating a lot or resourses.

I'm sure its trying to keep track of your temp file if you have it in the default Windows/User

location.... Trying to access a huge temp file and create a restore copy at the same time could bring any system to its knees.

Try turning it off for a day or so and see if it helps.. if there is no improvement.. turn it back on..

Turning off system restore is the very first thing I do after installing a new Windows operating system. Then turn off and disable indexing, install AV software, then run Windows Update - reboot - ad infinitum, until all Microsoftware is up to date (installing NIC drivers first if needed). Then finally install display drivers and software.

As far as I'm concerned system restore isn't necessary unless you're careless.

On file / access permissions, the Windows defaults now are are pretty sane. The most efficient thing to do with permissions on the Mcam hierarchy is create a group for Mcam users, put all the users that are going to be using Mastercam it in that group, disable inheriting permissions from parent objects only on the Mcam root folder, then add the Mcam users group and allow it everything but full control on the entire Mcam sub-hierarchy.

Full control would mean users can take ownership of and change permission of all objects with that permission and isn't necessary.

It would be handy if CNC Software would document where and where not Mastercam when run with user privileges needs to write so sane permissions can be set on the Mcam hierarchy without having to go through experimentation to find out. Or better yet, add a routine to the installer to set sane minimal permissions like say, Unigraphics does.

Chris, are you able to check your admin permissions?

(on C:drive)

Also check owner ship.

I got a previous post, that describes what I did.

Working good on X2 and X3. next week I'll be back crunching on X4. I'll keep ya'll posted

I am fomatting a new raptor drive for this station

this week end. My IT outsource is going to make sure all permision are set right, I may have done it a rookie way.

Right After i get everything completely updated and installed, He is going to get me set up with imaging software so I can get a new drive going without all the reinstalling if something goes south.

A PITA to say the least.

Good Luck, man

Rick

Thanks Rickster,

I've been following your pain here, now I feel it!

Yeah I've got super rights. Only one who uses this rig. like a 5 day old win 7 64 , also does it on my really old built xp 32 machine, which is weird. Two totally opposite machines.

On the 7 machine I justed turned off the UAC and did a repair install, and it seems to be better. Doesn't explain the xp rig cause it doesn't have uac.

thx for the tips

quote:

IT funny it started off once in a while, then intermittent, then BLAMMMMMMMM constantly at

every inappropriate time. Two machines for me too

I concur with that....everything except the funny part. I started a new job a month ago and this issue is causing ALOT of unecessary stress that should not be there.

I did notice the same thing, happened a time or 2 then more then full slam. Today I reset the folder that temp toolpath writes to into a folder in root C:...nothing else in that folder, also turned off system restore...NOTTA. Same problem with X3 and X4 regens. Even files I posted before in X4 now I cannot change a damn feedrate and regen without crash. I'm not reloading windows again that is a huge waste of time and accomplished nothing except false hope.

What I may end up doing is removing X4 from the Dell Xeon and running just X3. And I will have to bring in my laptop to run X4 and make that my corrupt computer 2 that supports the X4 files I cannot turn back time on. This way I can catapult the laptop into the Xterminators living room when X4 thankfully goes away. Ya...thats the ticket. headscratch.gif

quote:

constantly at every inappropriate time.

oh my gosh this morning I HAD to get code out the door (at least for a roughing cycle to get the machine running) and a 30 min job took 3 hrs with all the restarts and whatnot.

Subsequently it's 2am and I'm working on the same project. Funny thing I haven't had a crash in about 3 hrs.

The company I'm doing this for is a potential mastercam customer, having a real hard time "wowing" them though. frown.gif

I will give thx to Chris Bell for working hard on this issue. idea.gif