Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5/18-11 Threadmilling in steel

chris m

Good afternoon

I have a job coming down the pipe [about 100 pieces] that requires [3] 5/8-11UNC thru holes, approximately .800 length of thread, in 1141 steel. I want to threadmill these holes, and have less than zero knowledge of threadmilling, so I need your help:

Whose threadmill should I buy? This is a pretty pricey job, so I don't need to go cheap.

How should I program it [MC, some threadmill company's macro, ...]?

Speeds, feeds, number of passes, etc..?

Thanks in advance

C

+1 on EMUGE. They are expensive, but when programmed at the recommeded speeds and feeds the tool life is expceptional. I ran a 1/8 NPT thread mill from EMUGE and did 150 holes in P20. The same cutter from Harvey would give me about 30 holes before I had enough tip chipping that the gage would no long fit. Harvey cost about a 1/3 of what the EMUGE did.

When you guys program thread milling in MC, do you have to make a custom tool? I can't find any thread milling information in the tool libraries.

In the past, I would always write a program manually, but I'd like to start doing everything in MC.

I guess my question is, are there tool libraries available for download somewhere, in addition to what MC already has loaded?

Chris,

Single point thread mill, .437 Diam

N104(5/8-11 THREAD USING SINGLE POINT THREAD MILL)

#1=54

WHILE[#1LE56]DO1

G#1J4

G90G00X0.Y0.S#19M#13

Z.5M#3

G01Z-.98F300.

G91

G41X-.094D49F#9

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G03I.094Z.091

G40G01X.094

G90G00Z.1

G90G80G40G00Z1.

GOTO197

N197G90G80G40G00Z#505

IF[#110EQ1.]GOTO199

#1=[#1+1]

END1

N199M01

M99

or you could consider the multi tooth thread mill for less cuts!

couple different ways to thread multiple holes.

Hope this helps and if you're interested in further info, feel free to email me at [email protected]

If you've already found a suitable machining solution for this, I do appologize!

RM

• 4 months later...

I wanted to update this thread because the parts have been run with great success. I ended up with a solid carbide Vardex threadmill on this, programmed using their software downloaded from their website, and it worked perfectly. The tool was definitely not a cheap proposition but it ran great, made a great-looking thread, and taught us not to shy away from threadmilling just because "we don't do that here."

Learning new stuff rocks!

I'm a fan of Emuge, but for programming I use an Excel spreadsheet that I have. Works great since it gives an option of having more then 1 pass. I don't know if mastercam is capable of doing multiple passes. Let me know if you want a copy of it and I'll shoot it your way.