Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill/turn and Mastercam ?

ALEX888

Hello all:

We are using Mastercam for all our programming need and looking at adding a mill/turn type machine this year, Most likely a Mori Seiki NT 4250. Is anybody using Mastercam for programming their mill/turns. Is Mastercam capable of moving multiple axis simultaneously.

We have an NT5400. Had to make the change to Esprit. We tried Mastercam for Integrex and Mori NT mill-turn. Esprit has been much better for us for mill turn. Guys on this board have made it work. We could not. I like Mastercam much more than Esprit ( I am a mill programmer) but Esprit handles mill-turn better than mastercam in my opinion. I will get hammered for this i am sure, but i wanted to give you my opinion from my experience.

quote:

but Esprit handles mill-turn better than mastercam in my opinion. I will get hammered for this i am sure, but i wanted to give you my opinion from my experience.

Its been discussed before, no problem.

Im one of the ones whos used Esprit for mill turn.

I would love to see MC grow in this area.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Esprit and Part Maker are your best bets. eek.gif I have both. SHould be getting training this year for both sometime.

Who knows when/if Mastercam will have a viable Mill/Turn Option. They are too busy playing with fART and Router rolleyes.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah, I should have said that 1 turret and two spindles is fine, and actually, quite easy to use. But for us, nearly all of our machines have at the very minimum an upper and lower turret. Most have two uppers and a lower and some have two uppers and two lowers. You get into that and MC is just a nightmare trying to get things synced up. It'll get you code to run the part just fine, it's the synchronization and passing back and forth between spindles that MC just poops the bed.

Most of the problem lies in lack of support.

Having been the one who actually had to S/U

a few of Moris NTs its Esrits ease of use to create

the needed work planes and toolpaths.

Im sure its not so much an issue of dual turrets

on the NT since your running 2 separate progs

for upper and lower turret. Youd just have to

make sure the proper wait codes are in place.

JM2C wink.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like we can get the machine and use Mastercam to get by and see if we need more later. We are also looking into getting a machine simulation software like Vericut , ICAM or IMS to check Mastercam’s G code (a must have for multi-spindle work). I don’t expect the Mori Seiki to be in house till late this year it gives us plenty of time to get ready and maybe Mastercam will add some turn/mill functionality.

Alex

Well Mr. Negative the (John B) about M/T will chime in here. Mastercam gets the job done on 2 spindle single turret or 5 axis head Mill/Turns machines. I say gets the job done. Again other programs handle this a lot better with more bang for the buck IMHO. Mastercam is a great Mill Product, Ok Lathe product, and can get it done Mill/Turn product. I make some pretty off the wall parts on our Integrex and have some of our more complex parts being shown at the Mazak office not to far from our work.

Syncing can be done, but if you are looking to upper and lower turret work the Mcan editor has some nice feature built into thank to Greg at CNC for point that out to me. Camaix has a product to use with Mastercam that I would take a serious look at. These guys know their stuff and make very good world class products and from the sampling I have done would feel a lot better using their tool and anything I have seen out of CNC software to date. (To be fair I have seen nothing out of CNC software) Here is a link to their tool. Linky:

Here is a sample pic from their website:

SyncLathe_web_klein_end.GIF

HTH

• 2 weeks later...