Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

toolpath name

Rocketmachinist

We name by operations. Lets say a part has mulitple operations, part number 123. First operation 123A, second 123B, etc. If a fixture for the part needs to be made, F123A. I name the toolp[ath groups to match the NC. I also name the WCS the same as the toolpath group and NC. This seem to work here and anyone else who looks at the file can grasp it.

We have a system here that works pretty well. We assign a program number to each part number. We get a lot of dash numbers to the same part if we used the part numbers we would have very big folder names. This prolog number as we call it is then used through the whole manufacturing process.

We then have letters assigned to each machine. Integrex E machine is E, Mazak Horziontal is H, Okuma Mill is O, Viper Lathe is LV, Okuman lathe is LK, and so forth. Then we take the operation on the traveler and then use it to complete the name and then use numbers from that for the program number.

So a job for the Integrex would look like so E1025100. Then we would use 1025 or 2501 as the program number. We make job folder for every operation so when an operator picks up the specific job folder they know what machine, what part number and what operation on the traveler they are running and what to run.

HTH

We have several customers, and I make a folder for each customer, in each folder I have subfolders for each part #, I name my MC file the part #, and for each operation I name it like bottom-work.nc or top-work.nc, first-op.nc, second-op.nc etc...

Easily sorted by customer name and part number.

We use :

part number

dash number

revision letter

operation number

ie:

144A3623-67-NC-OP-1.NC

144A3623-67-NC-OP-2.NC

etc.

The primary folder name:

144A3623-67-NC

The sub-folders are:

ENGINEERING FILES -- contains all original files from customer

MASTERCAM FILES -- contains all MC files

NC FILES -- contains all shop programmed files

SETUP BOOKS -- contains all setup information and documentations

VERICUT -- contains all verification files

HTH

cheers.gif

Our mastercam file names are a combination of the part number and the operation number in our job traveler. For example 999-888-777-666-OP40. We log the part number into a program log book and assign it a program number. An example of a program number would be 500-A-34.NC When we create a setup sheet for the job our setup sheet program automatically prints labels that show the part number, the program number, and the machine the job is going on among other things.