Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Crazy part

alanu23

Here is a part my company bid on for some strange reason. it is 13x16x3.75 approximatley. I have two months to make 3 of these. At 3 C-notes profit per part, I will most likely easily absorb any of that profit in programming and then some. Probably not hard for a bunch of you senior programmers, however it is to me. Does anyone have any ideas where to even start on this thing? I have a Haas VF8 and a Mori NH5000 4ax simultanious horizontal, and its 7075 thank god. I am thinking about roughing it to within .050 front and back on the VF8 and adding an inch excess material for tooling tabs, then putting it on a fixtured tplate in the mori, locating and bolting on my tooling tabs, finishing the grate pockets in the top shown in the 1st two illustrations and also the pockets on the ends, keeping it on that fixture or possibly even creating an identical fixture to rotate it 90 degrees to finish the pockets on the other two ends, then finally putting it on a fixtured tplate to finish the backside pocket.. Sound like a plan? Looking at the grate pockets though it looks like a good application to use either subprograms or tool path transform. Would that be easy? or would I be better off sillouete boundrying the whole thing normal to the pockets and translating each chain somewhat close to each individual pocket on the part then selecting all the chains to pocket then set my linking parameters to incremental? Any way I look at it this part is going to be some serious work. I really wish this part was just a little smaller, then I could put it on a Haas VF5 5ax... Three ops instead of 5 or 6. But sadly that is one variable I cannot change. Oh yeah.. Tolerances are +/-.008 on all wall thicknesses, +/-.030 everywhere else. Any Ideas?

NEW1.jpg

NEW2.jpg

NEW3.jpg

I just looked at the print and it does, surprisingly enough its allowed in all pocket walls! Definately the first time I have seen that. usually its just on the closed walls like you said. I originally thought I would have to use a 2"loc 1/4" ballnose to finish the radii. I have had to do it before on less complex parts. 1 hour to rough 2 hours to finish..

Jeez Jay you are right about those holes, they are perpindicular to the surface, they have a common vector in one direction and and are perpendicular to the surfaces in the other direction. It is hard to see in the rendered images but it is curved in both directions. So basically that is another fixture I am going to have to design to put some holes in. Maybe our Manual mill guy can put those in with a drill jig, that is what the boss would say anyways.. I didn't see stess releaf anywere on the print, I will have to check the info.

Below is a part that I programmed, very similar to your design. It was roughed out on a home made trunnion fixture. Then an NCL guy was brought in to do the final walls on a 5-axis gantry. Bad picture here but every horizontal wall curves at diff angle, and each vertical wall is at also at diff angle to the radius, so no 2 corners are identical.

<a  href=dan.jpg' alt='dan.jpg'>

Jack,

Thats the exact same part. Ive seen it at several SoCal aerospace companys. Last I heard a place in fullerton was making it.

James, it goes on the C-17 plane and from what i understood, has to do with diverting air flow to cause plane to stop on shorter runways.

It's a little different.

You posted a picture of a 17P8D9362-1 which has a flange on three sides and meets the nacelle pylon.

Mine is a 17P8D9364-1, has only two flanges and mates with two other sections - 363-1 and 365-1.

I originally did this as a complete turn key and have subsequently implimented an optimized programming contract.

There are a bunch of people running these parts but the contractor is TSLA.

J

• 4 weeks later...