Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

The New eMastercam

Webby

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to join with the pros and move to a true newsreader based board. Far easier to navigate without all the cutesy avatars and graphics to slow things down. These BBS's tend to be slow as mud compared to a news board. Also allows better search and filtering. Removes all the issues about filtering topics and threads. You also can then get users who at work only have mail access which is a big plus.

--

Bill

quote:

Time to join with the pros and move to a true newsreader based board

If I'm making that call, not a chance.

The layout of UG's was terrible, would not want to see this go that route.

quote:

Time to join with the pros and move to a true newsreader based board.

quote:

If I'm making that call, not a chance.

The layout of UG's was terrible, would not want to see this go that route.

While usenet has its place, I wouldn't say this is it. No, we will not be going that route however we will be moving to a fresher set of code that will come with its own speed improvements and be easier to navigate.

We're also moving to a better search platform in general. That's all I'm going to say about that right now.

Finally, to your point about people without direct computer access to the forums while at work - we have a solution for some in that boat on the horizon as well.

"If I'm making that call, not a chance.

The layout of UG's was terrible, would not want to see this go that route."

You mean basic categories with the related threads under it is terrible? To me, it's the simplest and most direct way for a user to get info. It's what is here now. You just lose the graphics. And you add users who have the internet blocked at work. I'm just say'n...

"We can always make a stripped down/newsreader skin for the board and give people the option if that's what they want."

That may be the best approach. You might be surprised at the number of takers. And the users here who are thinking it's a wide open newsgroup like that "other" one. It's not. It would be password and moderated just like here - because it is here - but faster. :-)

--

Bill

Guest Tyler Yanta

Just throwing this out there - would anyone see value in having a live chat room / area next to the forums for quicker answers? We weren't necessarily thinking of doing that but thought I'd put it out there as it is an option.

quote:

Just throwing this out there - would anyone see value in having a live chat room / area next to the forums for quicker answers? We weren't necessarily thinking of doing that but thought I'd put it out there as it is an option.

If you want that, I'll just make an irc channel for it. Live chat in a browser is horrible, uses waaaaay too many resources and it also depends on the browser the end user has.

Usenet sucks for everything other than pirating movies/music.

phpBB is a forum base for script kiddies who want to be 1337 in owning their own forum.

Why don't you just modify what you have?

"Usenet sucks for everything other than pirating movies/music."

Like I said earlier (though a moot point now), it is restricted access. Yes it is Usenet. No it is not a public group. It is NOT like that "other" group. Being setup binary you can add pitures and files just like here without the general public even viewing them. Most BBS providers offer linking tools to use it in parallel with the BBS.

Just my .000002

--

Bill

I've been on forums with the live chat functions and they needed to bring on separate moderators just to look over it, and after a few months it went the way of the dinosaurs. The issue with it being live and so direct, it can and will get out of hand very quick. I vote thumbs down to it, simply because of the nature of this forum, it being business/professional based.

Bring on the PM's though!

Something like 'Go to My PC' has would be really cool also if that's possible.

Guest Tyler Yanta

quote:

How about a secure remote access feature. Sometimes it's easier to help people by showing them what to do instead of trying to tell them by typing.

That's actually a thought that crossed my mind as well. The trick is a) finding something secure B) finding a way of integrating it that doesn't c) infringe on people's privacy d) isn't complicated to set up and e) doesn't chug.

quote:

I've been on forums with the live chat functions and they needed to bring on separate moderators just to look over it, and after a few months it went the way of the dinosaurs. The issue with it being live and so direct, it can and will get out of hand very quick. I vote thumbs down to it, simply because of the nature of this forum, it being business/professional based.

Bring on the PM's though!

Something like 'Go to My PC' has would be really cool also if that's possible.

PMs for sure. As for chat, it *could* be used less like an open chat room and more like a "sanctioned event" type thing where it's only open for certain periods like during a webinar or something of the sort. In any case, as I said in my first post, that wasn't the direction we were considering going. Thanks for the feedback.

Tyler, I think Glenn hit this nail on the head

quote:

Emastercam is meant to share knowledge to the masses not just to individuals.

Live help like that is really the realm of resellers.