Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Spherical Surf

88Matt

Basically i am cutting half of the inside of a sphere. Trying a few different paths like waterline and scallop, I can't get arc output. I have tried changing my tols to no avail. Any suggestions?

Basic 3 axis mill using 3/4 ball. Ø approx 8in.

Thanks

quote:

offset centre instead of tip

+1

another senario where you don't get arcs

-Cut a tube in 1/2 and lay along the X axis

A toolpath going at 90° to the radius axis will give an arc thru the centre of the ballnose only.

but

If cutting in any other angle ( eg. 91° or 45° ), then the tool tip or tool centre will never give an arc, filtering will put in a few arcs, but never to the extent that you would be expecting.

Robert,

That is similar except the sweep is a full 360. I can get arcs as well with flowline but not with waterline or scallop in the HSTs. I should be able to get arcs in the xy-plane with waterline as in good ole flowline. If I can't get it by the time comes to cut it, I'll use flowline. Otherwise I would like to use waterline ideally.

Thanks for all the input guys. You're the best.

Try Surface Finish Contour and... (I'm sure you have checked this in Waterline already) make sure that you have switched on XY arcs in either the Total Tolerance page or Refine Toolpath page (name changes depending on whether you chose to try the Refine Toolpath feature).

If you get arcs with Finish Countour but not Waterline with the same Total Tol/Refine settings, then go to the Windows Control Panel, find and select the Mastercam X icon. Select X4 at the top of the window and the look for "Toolpath Support".

There is a section there for "HMM kernel arcs" - I wonder if your arcs have been disabled from there for the HMM (including Waterline) toolpaths?

By the way, with Finish Contour you'll probably need a tool boundry around the top of the sphere, to stop the toolpath running down the outside of the job!