Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

power go's out cutter plunges into finished cavity

Millertime

quote:

Are you saying all haas or that one. Can you get gas added to them is what im asking

Very early Haas machines had a big lead

weight hanging on motorcycle drive chains

for counterbalances.

Life got interesting quick when one of those

chains broke.

Nowdays, Haas VMC's have 2 nitrogen cyclinders

like giant shock absorbers to counterbalance

the weight of the head.

You can check thier pressure,

and add gas to them. Its something that

should be part of a regular maintenance routine

on a Haas.

If you don't keep them within specified pressure

you can crash and burn during a power failure

but it also puts excessive wear and tear

on your Z axis drive motors, lead screw and

leadscrew bearings.

Hey g-code I thought you were messin with me but obviously u were not.I appreciate the info I will be talking to maintnence about this.This problem occurs alot due to the heat and livin in cali especially when everybody is crankin the ac.Again thanks for the info.Dealin with this issue will probobly save our company some serious coin.

Gcode nailed it. We top off our cylinders about every 2 years.

Early power detection failure? The lights flash, your done, LOL.

Seriously, same here. Temp gets above 90 and the outages start. In most cases with the Haas, they stay good in Z when the power dumps. It's the one's that have below 1000 PSI that start to loose Z's. The seals in the cylinders can go bad on those as well. About $1500 to replace them, plus the scrap part. Keep an eye on the gage.

I check the cylinders here no less than every 6 months. Depending on the temps and the scheduling I can check it every month. I've seen our Head fall when we cut power at the end of the day due to low counterbalance pressure.

I'd suggest teaching your operators to check it as part of the weekly maintenance on the machines. It's not even hard to check daily as you warm up the machine and get ready for the day.

No I work in hemet ca we get 100 deg plus weather and we get outages quite often.And today we had 2 outages but not due to the heat I guess the city workers were doing somthing with a power line and zap our power was out for 20 min or so at a time.Not good for a machine shop lota guys walking around with their thums up their a--es.Good thing a broom dont need no power.

Somewhere around the 03-04 era Haas got rid of the nitrogen charged Monroe-Gas-o-Matic-Delux-Ride shocks, and switched to using the z motor. This was of course after the initial switch from Chamberlain (or was it Genie?) garage door springs to said shocks.

It was always amusing having power outages with a whole shop of spindles running and see which one has the longest coast-down time. I was always a bit concerned from lack of cooling though.

quote:

It was always amusing having power outages with a whole shop of spindles running and see which one has the longest coast-down time. I was always a bit concerned from lack of cooling though.

I was just thinking the same thing. Sounds like a 747 spooling down on the tarmac.

MIke

Early power detection can be installed by Haas after the machine is on your floor. It doesn't eliminate all drop but it only drops about .01. We installed it on our machines that are 2003 or newer. We also top off our nitrogen on the older machines every year.