Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

27+ monitor

PoNyCaR50L

Hello,

anyone are working on large screen monitor.

I currently have a 22 inch monitor, and my boss asking me if I want to try a bigger monitor.

Anyone already did the this and enjoy it? or dont like it.

The use will be programming and modeling 3D using SolidEdge, Mastercam, Inventor and some work with Geomagic.

PC monitor between 27 to 37?

anyone already did the test with HD TV LCD? like 42 inch. ?

Colin has it exactly correct pixels is what matters most. I haven't seen too many single monitors out there that can match the pixel count of dual 22 or 24 in monitors. I have hooked my computer up to my home theatre projector at 110" and while it looks cool as hell to see parts at full size or bigger my projector maxes out at 1920X1080P which is only half of the pixels of a couple of good duals.

Your pixel count with depend on two things: the maximum number of pixels your monitor has (native resolution of the monitor), and your graphics card. Most graphics cards will be capable of using your monitor's native resolution, but some of the lower end cards might not. Also, I've seen plenty of people that have monitors with more pixels (1600x1200), but choose to run their monitor at lower resolution (1280x1024).

Personally I will never run anything other than the native resolution of a monitor, except in rare circumstances like connecting to a projector with lower resolution.

To get the total number of pixels, just multiply the vertical and horizontal pixels; 1600 x 1200 = 1,920,000 pixels.

My monitors at home are 1080P, so 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.

So when running dual monitors, both at 1080P resolution, you get 4,147,200 total pixels.

My eyeballs love me.

There are some larger displays that do offer higher native resolution, but you'll need an expensive graphics card to drive them.

Example: 27" Dell Ultrasharp, native resolution: 2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 total pixels.

30" Dell Ultrasharp, native resolution:

2560 x 1600 = 4,096,000 total pixels.

One thing I do like about the larger single monitor is the vertical resolution is much greater.

When I run my dual 20" dells at work (2x - 1600 x 1200), I actually flip one 90° and use the Nvidia card to rotate the display.

This gives me a 1600 x 1200 main screen, and my second monitor is 1200 x 1600 (portrait).

This gives me a "reading" display that is super useful for reading PDF documents or long lists (Hello Ops Manager).

Because of this, I think a larger native resolution on a single monitor would be pretty cool.

So, that 30" Dell monitor is $1600.00

I got two Samsung 22", 1080P, LCD displays for $180 each. So for $400 with tax, I have slightly more pixels than the 30" monitor.

Add in my FX 380 card for $60 (a friend bought it and they don't have a PCI-Express motherboard), and I've got a killer setup for not too much money...

Don't forget your Graphics Card will need to support Dual-Link DVI for a larger monitor...

Nope. 1920 x 1080.

They are actually 21.5" widescreen monitors.

I can see they have a standard format

From a quick search:

Samsung B2230 widescreen LCD monitor features a glossy finish accented by an elegant clear acrylic bar along the bottom bezel. Inside, leading-edge technology results in picture quality second to none, with 70,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution. To save energy and money, the MagicEco feature allows you to work at 100%, 75% or 50% brightness. And for ease of use, the MagicReturn feature automatically displays dual-monitor content on a single monitor when one monitor is powered off. The Samsung B2230 monitor features a rich, glossy finish which is accentuated by the clear, crystal-like acrylic along the lower bezel. And the back of this monitor has a unique wave pattern. It's a tasteful, elegant alternative to the same old thing. The high dynamic contrast ratio of the B2230 creates deeper, more dramatic dark tones and brighter more striking light tones. Now you can enjoy images that echo reality with rich, vivid color and brilliant natural intensity. When it comes down to the details, conventional monitors simply pale in comparison. « less…

I have a 28" Hannspree monitor at home which is really cool as a monitor and also works great for Playstation 3 via HDMI.

At work I just upgraded to dual 24" ASUS monitors from newegg ($180 each-free shipping)

Dual 24's is the only way to fly at work. Anything larger would cause too much head turning to look from one screen to the other.

I love being able to have a CAD or CAM program open on one screen and a .pdf document or website on the other or even 2 copies of the same software if I am comparing files(i.e. trying to figure out how my Control Definition got all ****ed up rolleyes.gif ). Your mileage may vary depending upon how much multi-tasking you do.

My thoughts regarding a huge monitor is that there is no advantage to the really big ones. You wouldn't be able to look at a 46" screen right in front of you on the desk (it would have to be placed further away). So comparing a 24" screen right within 2 feet from your nose and a 42" screen located 6 feet away what would be the advantage ?

If I had to have one large screen on a desk I wouldn't want it any bigger than about 30"

P.S. make sure it's 1080P not 720P