Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O\T The Original name of MasterCam

Guy Arseneault

I had a quick Silver, but I think I had something just before it(what a blurr). I am going to look at my old records tonight just to see if I can find something.

Old dealers names

Charley Haddock( Quick Silver ?)

Tom Schular

Steve Danford

Who do you remember?

[ 03-03-2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

quote:

Tom Schular

This name is familar, but I can't quite place it. I'm pretty sure I've heard it around the office.

Thomas Paton and Associates has been doing CAD/CAM stuff for a really long time. Tom got stared in '84 or thereabouts selling VersaCAD [1] out of the back of his van. We are pretty sure that he was the first educaitonal CAM reseller, or at least one of the first. A lot of the 'old timers' in SoCal know Tom, and keep in touch.

Along those lines, I have a cadapple system, compete with CP/M card and *two* floppy drives in my office for anyone who wants to experence a blast from the past. I'm not sure if it still works, as I'm afraid to plug it in...

[1] Come to a show we are at and look inside one of our free-standing displays. They still say 'VersaCAD' on them...

Hi Rick,

I worked at a shop called DeFox Co. back in '85 down in Torrance who had this system.

quote:

Along those lines, I have a cadapple system, compete with CP/M card and *two* floppy drives in my office for anyone who wants to experence a blast from the past. I'm not sure if it still works, as I'm afraid to plug it in...

As I recall they were 5 1/4" Floppies, 1 for the O/S and 1 for the app. It brings back memories. Is it the Green or Red Monitor ?

Speaking of the past, anybody remember the old Cincinnati 20VC2000 with the 8" Floppy Drive?

[ 03-04-2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: iowajim62 ]

I bought my first cnc mill from Compumachine in 1986. It was a Compumill 2500. I went there to their shop for a demo of the conversational control. It had a Delta 10 control with an add on for Cavity milling that I used to make a tapered slot for a nailing gun head. I had the machine for five years. The machine had two other owners after me. All programming was done done by manual entry. Finally bought a Tandy 1000 to load and download programs. I had used a GE tape recorder before that. I still have some of those tapes. Learned the hard way.

Ron Roderick

Past Small Shop Owner