Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Meta Cut uninstall ??

tmalinski

Can somebody please tell me how to uninstall MCU. Somehow the MCU evaluation version of the program has attached itself to the operations manager, and also adds stuff to my nc file. Although the MCU may have some very helpful and timesaving functions. I do not want it at this time.

I noticed it also added a toolbar icon. If anybody can please help me uninstall all of it and return MC back to its original state I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Tom...

It doesn't list in the control panel to remove and to boot it self installs even though there is an install for metacut in the splash screen. I changed pc's this week and ran into the same trouble. I just turned it off in the metacut options menus. If this is going to be an option then it should ask you upon install. This wasn't seen in the beta and it can confuse newer mastercam users as it does alter the NCI code and shows up in your post. I caught it cause the extra code faulted in my Fadal during program upload...

[ 06-05-2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: KMaynard ]

I found the only way to uninstall the trial version of Metacut from XPpro is to use the uninstall that is from Metacut. The Windows uninstall did not do the job.

I had to look to find the Metacut uninstaller and if I remember correctly, it is a choice when the installation file is activated.

It still blows me away that CNC would actually consent to putting that software "add-on" in this release of MC without the option of saying "Oh, hell no! You're not installing that on my box!"

Given the choice, I would not have installed it. If I wanted to try it, I would have downloaded it myslef.

I hate people making decisions for me.

Seems to me it's more of a ploy to get it noticed by MC users to drive sales than having it become part of retail MC. (If I am wrong, correct me, but I don't think I am.)

I'm not against the software, mind you. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers over at MetaCut either. I just don't think they went about it the way they should have. They caused a bit of grief to several users. There's prolly a ton of people out there stuck with it because they don't know how to remove it. Not a good business decision, IMHO.

With that said, let me buckle myself to my chair, and get my flame-retardant suit on.

'Rekd teh Tell it like it is..

tom,

what i did was: screen> configure> start/exit

then in the editor pull down tab switched back to pfe32 instead of mcu. this way i still have meta cut but all editing is done thru programers file editor. i no longer have meta cut in my op's manager this way

hth

trevor

quote:

I hate people making decisions for me

Seems to me Bill Gates just spent some time with some lawyers on just "bundling software" with Microsofts OS. I stand with Rekd, if I wanted to check it out I would have downloaded it. It really isnt something that I need, looks like it has its purpose, but not for me. In the future maybe an option, if you want it or to decline it, might be better served.

JM2C

Trev,

That is an option, but the original question was how to get rid of all of it.

I also agree with Rekd and Toolfab, give me the choice.

In my case I own a licensed copy of Metacut and wanted to clear out the one Mastercam loaded to install my liscensed copy.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I'm not against the software, mind you. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers over at MetaCut either. I just don't think they went about it the way they should have. They caused a bit of grief to several users. There's prolly a ton of people out there stuck with it because they don't know how to remove it. Not a good business decision, IMHO.

With that said, let me buckle myself to my chair, and get my flame-retardant suit on.

I'm with 'Rekd too. I am ( still hopefully after this opinion) a Beta Tester and would have appreciated this application being included in Beta at the very least. I got lots of dll errors and even a couple mission critical applications failed to work after the V9.1 install. It was not until Bullines came up with a patch to restore the original MSVCRT files did things get back to normal. It should have been an option is all I'm saying. I like the folks at MetaCut and I like the folks at CNC.

I always put on my flame suite before I open my mouth. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

tom,

i guess i mis read the original post.but i now have a question . i have never done more than dabble with add on verification software.for me right now meta cut does not seem to be upsetting my system whith it turned off in my editor selection so i left it on so i could play with it from time to time.i would like to hear some pros and cons on this software and other add on verification software out there that people are using.

trevor

Metacut is a pretty good verification system as long as your are starting with rectangular stock

and aren't doing 4 or 5 axis work. Its very fast

and can automatically add Metacut tool descriptions to posted gcode so you don't have to do it by hand.

Most of the time I use Metacut to look at gcode.

You can look at the whole file or step thru it tool by tool. It is very useful for checking out

old programs when you can't remember what they are suppossed to be doing.

[ 06-06-2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Trev,

I use Metacut when I want to look at the posted G-code. Mastercam Verify checks the NCI-code. Changes, like how arcs are interpolated, can happen while posting and not show up in the NCI verification.

When I was in the shop I had a few boxes full of tools. Now that I design and program I have a selection of tools for that purpose.

I agree with Jim, I also like both companies. The only problem I have with Mastercam is that when my clients experience what I can do with it the often purchase it for themselves and I have to find a new customer. But, the folks at CNC Software and my dealer have been very good to me.

I also agree with Rekd and company. It reminded me of installing some software on my home computer and then having 3 different icons appear on my desktop on how I can get a 30 day free trial to AOL. BIG turn-off.

Thad

[ 06-07-2003, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: thad ]

I work in a plant with 7 MC programers and I

don't recall MCU being installed on anyone's machine without asking. People are acting

like Mastercam planted a keylogging worm in their

box.

They have given people the opportunity to try

a software package for free. If folks would take a little time and learn to use it they world find its a very useful tool.

Just turn the stuff off it you don't like it.

Open MCU

Options/Program Setup/Partners/Mastercam

or

Stick in your MC9.1 disk, select MCU/uninstall.

[ 06-07-2003, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: gcode ]

quote:

They have given people the opportunity to try

a software package for free.

Um, no. They MADE people try the software package. Reguardless of the end user's wishes. No obvious option to not install it. No obviouse procedure to un-install it. In fact, very little notice that it was going on at all. Not cool. mad.gif

I'm not complaining about the functions/features of the software. I'm complaining about the method in which they went about "letting" us try the package..

I made some software that could be integrated into Mastercam as well. I wonder if I can get CNC to install my software on ALL YOUR BOXES AND HOPE FOR A SALE. MUAHAHAHAHAHA!! I don't give a crap if you want it or not, you're getting it. And if you want to un-install it, you gotta talk to me! rolleyes.gif

'Rekd teh When you force an individual to choose, they generally choose against you, reguardless of of the choices.

[ 06-07-2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Rekd, after installing v9.1 a meta-cut utilities icon appeared on my desktop. when i clicked on it, it asked me if i agree to this license agreement. i decided to investigate a little first, then read this thread. i never accepted and everything is same as always. Thus, meta-cut is on my system, but i haven't activated it yet. Does this make sense? [i'm only a stupid man]

quote:

I'm not complaining about the functions/features of the software. I'm complaining about the method in which they went about "letting" us try the package..

I couldn't have said it better.

Thad teh yeah...what Rekd said!

[ 06-07-2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: thad ]

The MetaCut fiasco is rather tragic in itself; unfortunately, the benefit of using and adapting to new software add-ons has been a rather unpleasant experience for most of us - IMHO

I do not believe the result of good intentions have given MetaCut or Mastercam the perceived response, which is sort of shame for both parties and us – the actual user base.

Let’s hope such things can be learned and improved upon for future releases.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Let’s hope such things can be learned and improved upon for future releases.

I would imagine they both learned some things on this one. Lukily it was a "Point" release and not a "Version" release.

I'm not angry, just a little disappointed that being in the Beta Program, they did not give us a heads-up that's all.

An opt-out would've been nice. On my PC at work, since we log on to a server, different departments have different profiles (telling the PC what software can run), it makes things difficult to adjust if necessary. This threw a pretty serious wrench in things for me.

OK, Ok, we screwed up. Not because we are trying to force people to buy something else from us, but because there are some useful things in the MetaCut utilities and we thought people would like it.

The problem with it was the defaults, (which everyone accepted) were set to take over the system. If we keep it in the SP1 release we will not set any of them, so then the user can choose it as any other editor.

PMGuy

I know it's a mute discussion now, but I was curious. Did I understand James correctly? Metacut was not attached for the Beta tester's to look at? How does that work? Why would you have your test group evaluate a software and tehn change the software and release it? I can think of a few different problems you'd run in to, not to mention getting a consensus of the particular software.

But don't get me wrong, I don't think there's anything wrong with MetaCut, it's a perfectly fine product cheers.gif