Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Muscle Cars

Noel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets talk fast. How fast have you all driven/ridden? (Not including flying, Charles biggrin.gif although if I had wings on my bike...)

165mph on my brother's bike (It took 3 days to get the knots out of my hair. biggrin.gif

175+ on mine, I stopped peeking at the guage after that, too much going on around me eek.gif

By the way, for those of you that remember a previous thread; The above mentioned speeds/feeds are precicely why I need to sell my bike. I'm addicted to speed, and I can't help myself.

'Rekd teh Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

quote:

How fast have you all driven/ridden?

Hit about 150 in a newer Corvette... Scariest was getting an old shovel up to about 120. Front end was 8 in. over and it had 16 in. apehangers on it at the time. The bike felt like it was gonna rip itself apart. cheers.gif

My cars have been more modern, since I just didn't connect with cars built before I was born. I had a bunch of 5.0 mustangs in the late 80's. Fast but no real personality.

My all time favorite cars were my Pontiac Fieros. Laugh all you want, but I had small bock V8s as well as one with a 3800 Supercharged V6 out of a Bonneville.

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, 3800 S/C engine, 12.55 on a quarter mile, and still over 30 mpg with air conditioning!

First car '68 Torino GT - 390 with 428 heads toploader, hooker super competition headers, 4:11's, tri-power off a 406...... ah, the good 'ol days.

Rekd, 155 on my bike, 160 on my buddies GSXR1100 and 118 on glare ice with a cop pointing a radar gun at me on my sled at a local lake. biggrin.gif

The stupid things we do.........

I used to have...

1966 Mustang coupe with a 351 Windsor wedged between the front tires. I bought it that way and dont know they got it in there... musta had a big hammer.

1973 Mustang Mach 1 - 351 Cleveland with 4 on the floor. It was fast, and loved to fishtail going around corners.

You guys have me beat, never been above 150 mph.

"Indicated" vs. "Reality" top speeds?

Yeah yeah, speedos have errors, but getting deep into the triple digits you can all about throw 'em out the window...(or off the bike). Not to mention gearing and tire size changes induced errors.

Indicated 180 on a Aprilla Mille at the track...Probably was more like 155-160....Now the drag bike I'm gonna be riding will be somewhere's around 170...but in mid 7 seconds!

1965 Ford Galaxy 500, it was used, I was sixteen and threw a rod in a rain storm, but it was a blast. - over revving then clunk, coasted into the driveway.

Why didn't I keep this car?

Why am I not cashing a $35K cheque for selling this today?

The mere mention of a black/black Grand National has me drooling. smile.gif

Bye the way - the 560 Benz goes 320Km/hr in theory but nobody would dare drive the 5000Lb beast anywhere near this - besides, what kind of tires would support such a speed?

I am going to look into blowers and customized headers etc! before I'm too old to drive.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 06-10-2003, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

I had a 70 Cutlas SX with a factory 455, his/her shifter, and a turbo 400. I wish I would've had enough sense at the time to have settled down and kept it. If I wouldn't have sold it I'm sure I wouldn't be writing this post today. I did have the needle pegged past 120 in a 67 442, however fast that actually was I'm not sure.

Dan

CMR has a point, again. Only it's a wee bit exagerated. The guy I used to drag race for has twins. Both cops. They have radar. biggrin.gif

This guy also does depositions in court for anything and everything to do with motorized vehicles and accidents they've been in. Looks like interesting work. He got paid tens of thousands of dollars to take a truck load of CHP bikes on the freeway (closed) and take them up to 100 mph, let go of the handlebars, then smack them to send them into a wobble. Just to see if they would come out of it on their own. All but one did. (No, he didn't fall off, but wow..)

Anyway, most speedos on bikes are good for 10 mph. Even so, 100 mph or 175 mph, on a bike is extremely smooth. Both times I went that fast, it was on the express lane just as it opened, (concrete barriers on both sides of the 2 lane expressway, and best of all NO TRAFFIC!)

quote:

Not including flying, Charles although if I had wings on my bike...)

quote:

abot 350 true in a friends glassair...

/me jumps up, hands waving; "CHEATER CHEATER!!"

'Rekd teh SO not fair. :/

[ 06-10-2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Rekd,

I believe it was my 1974 Kawasaki 750 triple two stroke that I rode to Port Dover in Ontario at full throttle - the float that occured a such speeds was not a control situation (little bumps lasted 40 & 50 yards). I still cannot believe I survived the foolishness of it all but I do know that going 120MPH+ on a bike is pure insanity - but this was old technology, light & fast, as I was - once upon a time. smile.gif This was also the first & last time I rode without a shirt, the windburn was with me for six months.

Funny thing was when my wife was on the back - the bike would just sit up and wheelie the highway with the slightest of effort.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

[ 06-10-2003, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Jack Mitchell ]

Those tripples were nice bikes, Jack. A bit shaky, but fun. As you implied, technology has made drastic improvements. The "crotch rockets" you can buy these days are pure power and handling. Most come stock with steering dampers and the body shapes are tuned in wind tunnels and on computers. It's nothing short of incredible. When I really started riding back in the early 80's it was NOTHING like this. biggrin.gif

quote:

Funny thing was when my wife was on the back - the bike would just sit up and wheelie on the highway with the slightest of effort.

Sounds like she was helping on purpose biggrin.gif My wife's like that. Only she grew tired of being on the back and got her own. frown.gif

'Rekd teh Willow Springs road trip this summer!

'77 black Corvette

383 stroker SBC

900cfm Holley Commander 950 TBI

MSD 6AL ignition

Hedmann headers & true dual/no cat exhaust

TH350 with 3000rpm stall converter & tranny cooler

seam welded (stiffened) frame

fibreglass leaf spring front suspension

Kumho Ecsta 712's on 17 x 8" Torque Thrust II rims

Sony stereo with 10 disc CD changer

I see Scott Bond had a 65 GTO also. Mine was raced at Union Grove at one time. I purchased it after and ran it on the street. It could pick the front wheels in two gears and I got good at replacing the trans.

That was a fun time to grow up and sadly a lot of friends were lost in accidents. It did not slow me down though and I have some great stories of the time.

Funny thing was I had a couple of wrecks and they were when I was behaving and someone else ran into me. Might be a lesson there.

Me to Jack

quote:

1974 Kawasaki 750 triple two stroke

I had a 1973 Kawi 500, 3 cylinder, 2 cycle,with full ferring cafe-with clip-ons, It had a really stiff after marked clutch ,,we had to put a longer lever on it just so I could pull it. It was fast off the line for about 20 feet , but it was no match for the 67 GTX.