Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2D high speed toolpath takes 10+ min to regenerate

Custom Billet

OK, I have a quad core AMD Phenom II processor, 6 gigs of DDR3 ram, and a NVIDIA 1GB GeForce 9400 Graphics Card on XP and X5.

When I do a fairly simple 2D high speed pocket with small tools, it takes 10-15 minuets from the time I hit the check mark to the time it finishes creating the tool path. I wouldn't think it would take this long? Any ideas?

OK, I have a quad core AMD Phenom II processor, 6 gigs of DDR3 ram, and a NVIDIA 1GB GeForce 9400 Graphics Card on XP and X5.

When I do a fairly simple 2D high speed pocket with small tools, it takes 10-15 minuets from the time I hit the check mark to the time it finishes creating the tool path. I wouldn't think it would take this long? Any ideas?

Not sure about your video card.

Well, I haven't had any graphics issues. It is just when you create the 2D high speed tool paths, or regenerate them.

Is there a way to turn on and off using all 4 cores of the processor?

Im firly certain mastercam is only capable of processing with a single core at the moment...not sure if there is plans to change this in the future??? would be nice though!

If you want to view the toolpath's motion and see it quickly what you can do is increase your arc filter tolerance as shown in the graphic below. This will generate the toolpath's fairly fast. Once you have the toolpath's generated and have verified that the toolpath motion is what you want then tighten the tolerances back up to the point that you need them at.

Just a quick side note I'm working in a metric config that's why those values appear so large.

post-20717-0-39495200-1318376786_thumb.png

Any ideas? Call your retailer and tell him to get to the root of this issue ASAP. If the results are not to your satisfaction, let your wallet do the talking from then on.

Welcome to the (buuurrraappp, 'scuse me) forum, MCM.

LOL, tried that. The guy I normally talk to wasn't in, so I talked with another guy that sounds like he has been there a week. I don't know of a comparable software. I have tried some of the less expensive programs, and it doesn't seem to be able to do anywhere near what MC can do.

Im firly certain mastercam is only capable of processing with a single core at the moment...not sure if there is plans to change this in the future??? would be nice though!

Sort of, each high speed path will use one core independently. Only high speed paths though, and no way to use multiple cores for one path. Provides an advantage when you have multiple high speed paths that need regeneration.

Sort of, each high speed path will use one core independently. Only high speed paths though, and no way to use multiple cores for one path. Provides an advantage when you have multiple high speed paths that need regeneration.

That is what I was told, but when you hit regenerate, and try to do something else, the screen turns white and it locks up until it is done doing it's thing.

I checked the settings "Enable Multi-threading" and it is checked, so it should work, but my processor shows 25% usage, which to me would mean 100% of one core.

While it appears to be bogged down, I can surf the net or do anything else on the computer without it slowing down at all.

or let us know what your original filter tolerance was set at

I am using a 1/32 flat endmill to do a pocket .030" deep. The outside is a spline and it has block lettering on the inside. I was sent a solid, so I created curves where I needed geometry.

One depth cut, 60% step over, 8 IPM and the filter was set to 2:1 and the filter was whatever MC came up with. I think it was around .00037"?

2d HST paths do not use multi-threading.

And...if this is a 2d path....one would think you could just share your geometry that only relates to this opetation. A basic wireframe is pretty tough to call proprietary.

Well, it is their logo, so I really don't want to share it with the world. I can however, draw up something similar and use the same tool paths and upload when I get a chance, just so you guys can see what I am talking about.