Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Old bugs back again. Thanks alot CNC!

peon

Maybe that's why I don't have this problem too often.

We have over a dozems machine defs/post and I don't use the update utility.

I do them by hand one at at time.. a real PIA .

:thumbup: I do it exactly the same way. I dont know whether or not the migration utility works very well but I have had issues in the past so I do not even deal with it anymore. I wish that it was easier to migrate to a new version. I do exactly as you are saying and do them one at a time and then test them to make sure that things are working properly. If they are not, which things were not in X6, I fix them. I had to make a bunch of changes to the Machine Definitions after pulling them in to X6. It changes all of the settings back to the defaults.

I dont even try to migrate my configs. I always just set them up manually so that I know that it has been done correctly.

It changes all of the settings back to the defaults.

I wish I knew there was another way to do it.... All of my settings were back to default as well. Even the arc settings, which took me a while to track down because I KNEW it was set correctly and never thought updating (WITH THE BUILT IN UPDATE UTILITY) would change them back to default, so it was the last place I looked).

+1^^^^^

Also, IMHO I think machine and control defs are a great idea in princliple. It gives you total control to tweak your code to suit whatever machine in your shop.

But migration/update is a PITA.

Going the windows directory path has been a big pain for me, and I'm still not used to it.

Lastly, CNC creating a forum to control is all a bit late really.

The best thing they could do (flame suit on) would be to 'buy' this forum from IH and run this one?

There is soooooooooooooooooo much info on here - this is the one stop shop.

Afterall, who is going to be going over to CNC's, unless it is to look at the bug fix list???

It took a year years to get that many hits on the Benchmark thread. This one hasnt even been here a month. Give it two more weeks if it does not get removed or locked. I am thinking that you have a winner here. I think that both CNC and IHS should send you a pair of boxers and a hat.

Honestly, I'm surprised you haven't switched to another system by now.

• Like 1

Trust me, If I were the one spending the money, I would have switched a long time ago. In fact, I would have never left Cimatron.

I know, you always liked Cimatron. I can't judge it as I've never seen it, and I think it is pretty much non existant down here.

I recall you having problems with Mastercam right from the beginning though. I guess it is the different ways in which people use the software. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising, more just observing :)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Warning, this is not directed at anyone in particular, just stating a couple of opinions.

I know I have spentliterally THOUSANDS OF HOURS AT HOME ON MY OWN PERSONAL TIME learning over the years. Had I not invested that time, I would not know what I do today. I would say an average week for me is 5-15 hours at home messing around, learning, etc... Sometimes 20 hours a week. I would say that probably puts me in the "committed to honing my craft" category. IMHO, if you're not willing to spend your own personal time learning, well... :whistle:

It all comes down to how bad do you want to be good. My 15 year old son spends 20 hours a week minimum ON HIS OWN honing his QB skills. As a sophomore he won the starting QB job around mid-season, beating out a bigger stronger, faster Junior. He won the starting job in December of the previous year... when he was 2 weeks done with his Freshman season, he got back out there while some teams were still playing in the playoffs... he was getting a head start training for the next season. Oh, and he made All-League 2nd Team as a Sophomore... joining only one other sophomore. The moral of the story, how bad do you want to be good at what you do. Like my son, I spend a number of hours weekly learning on my own time at home. If you're not willing to invest in yourself... well... I don't know what to say. Besides "Good Luck".

• Like 1

I know, you always liked Cimatron. I can't judge it as I've never seen it, and I think it is pretty much non existant down here.

I recall you having problems with Mastercam right from the beginning though. I guess it is the different ways in which people use the software. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising, more just observing :)

Are you insinuating that the software does not have bugs and that the issues that I have been having are caused by not knowing how to use the software? ;) Do you belong to the "its not the software, its you crowd" that believes that there is no way that Mastercam could possibly have a bug in it? Does the phrase "Unhandled Exception Occurred – Mastercam Execution Halted" mean anything to you? It still haunts my dreams. ;)

Just jerking your chain a little Mick. BTW, nice to hear from you, its been a while.

I see quite a few people that now have allot of the same complaints that I had way back in X and X2. Some of those issues are still around!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
It took a year years to get that many hits on the Benchmark thread.

This topic is probably linked to in troll girl's fog blog, and everywhere else she $#!+$...

Are you insinuating that the software does not have bugs and that the issues that I have been having are caused by not knowing how to use the software? ;) Do you belong to the "its not the software, its you crowd" that believes that there is no way that Mastercam could possibly have a bug in it? Does the phrase "Unhandled Exception Occurred – Mastercam Execution Halted" mean anything to you? It still haunts my dreams. ;)

Just jerking your chain a little Mick. BTW, nice to hear from you, its been a while.

I see quite a few people that now have allot of the same complaints that I had way back in X and X2. Some of those issues are still around!

In saying that you have had problems right from the start, was not me saying the issues you have encountered are a result of your skill level with Mastercam. I was genuinely making the observation that you have encountered a lot of problems, and you yourself have pointed out that the way you use the software has highlighted issues others haven't encountered.

You're reading too much into it. No, I'm not insinuating that the software doesn't have bugs. I never said that. The Unhandled Exception error I have encountered plenty of times. I've also encountered a lot of other issues, as I have to use the software in lot of different ways, depending on wether I am programming, or helping someone else. The issues with config files not retaining settings, and previously, the Machine Definitions/Control definitions not holding settings (although, somehow, that seems to have disappeared, though I'm not sure how)

Have I encountered the issues that have been pointed out in this thread, or others? Some yes, but not many. But they're there. The posted examples I hope CNC Software does do something about them. Though I would be frustrated if I had been waiting as long as some end users here.

In saying that you have had problems right from the start, was not me saying the issues you have encountered are a result of your skill level with Mastercam. I was genuinely making the observation that you have encountered a lot of problems, and you yourself have pointed out that the way you use the software has highlighted issues others haven't encountered.

You're reading too much into it. No, I'm not insinuating that the software doesn't have bugs. I never said that. The Unhandled Exception error I have encountered plenty of times. I've also encountered a lot of other issues, as I have to use the software in lot of different ways, depending on wether I am programming, or helping someone else. The issues with config files not retaining settings, and previously, the Machine Definitions/Control definitions not holding settings (although, somehow, that seems to have disappeared, though I'm not sure how)

Have I encountered the issues that have been pointed out in this thread, or others? Some yes, but not many. But they're there. The posted examples I hope CNC Software does do something about them. Though I would be frustrated if I had been waiting as long as some end users here.

I understand what you are saying. ;) I was just giving you a bit of a hard time. You know my relationship with the software probably better than most and I cant pretend that I started out knowing how to use the software and that it did not cause some setbacks for me in the beginning. Converting from Cimatron to Mastercam was a very frustrating experience for me.

The main problem that I had back then was the unhandled exception error. Im not sure how much you remember but I do remember talking to you about it years ago. It was absolutely caused by how I was using the software in that I was attempting to program an entire assembly of parts in a single part file (I still do this in fact). That was the way that I worked in Cimatron and I brought that with me when I converted to Mastercam. It was, and is, very common for me to have 400+ operations in a single part file. The more Machine Groups, Toolpath Groups, and operations I would accumulate in a part file, the more unstable it would become. To the point where I almost couldnt click my mouse and it would crash the software. In my eyes I was not using the software wrong, but rather taking advantage of the functionality provided to me by CNC. Maybe I was taking it a bit too far? All I can say, is that it definitely brought out the software's weakness. It became very frustrating to me because of the hours lost having to re-do everything that was lost in the crash. At the same time, it trained me to save after every few steps and how to use the backup. :)

Im sure that you remember how much I hated the software when I first started using it. Unfortunately for you, you had to hear about it allot more than anyone here because I had talked to you about it prior to having ever posted on this forum. Sorry for that by the way. <grin> Ive become quite fond of the software over the years, especially over the last two releases (prior to X6). For all of its shortcomings, which I dont want to get in to, it is very good at what is does. It is simple to learn, easy to use, and fast to get things accomplished once you learn how to use the tools provided and the software works as it should. Our only irritation with it at this point is bugs. And as I said in an earlier post, its not the bugs that show up in the new development. Its the bugs that seem to get fixed in one version only to appear again in another or that never get fixed at all for what ever reason.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
...I was attempting to program an entire assembly of parts in a single part file...

:blink:

I don't even do/try that in CATIA. Holy $#!+!!!

That 'splains ALOT!!!

• Like 1