Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

an udate to X6

mayday

My superviser finaly updated to X6 today. We followed Jp's instruction to the T. John, nothing agianst you, you help more than most from CNC themselves. Anywho, corupt X5 and X6 MMD and CD and pst. all mashed togerther. this stupid Mymcamx6 and sharde Mcx6 is effed up. Who in there right mind would even hink this is how thins should work. GGGrrr. what a waste. WHY couldnt you buid off what V9 had and keep things working. what a mess you made CNC. shame on you :wallbash:

don't know what to say Wes..

we've got 3 workstations running X6 .. with about 15 3 axis, 4 axis, 5 axis mill, 2d lathe, vtl lathe and vtl/millturn machines on a shared network drive.

just updated a 4th workstation today ... took 10 minutes ... no problems at all .

I've got 2 workstations and a 2 laptops at home .. as a beta site, I've installed and unistalled X6 dozens of times ... again no problems..

I just don't get why some people are having so many problems

I used the migrate utilty for my config files, tool libraries and such ... but update my machines/posts by hand .

- flamesuit on - :(

Tom, step back as a new user. think you can figure out what is wrong on an install? Like you, I've been around a long long time and know how to deal with the problems and the work arounds. It is simply a bad way to install software. The new users are completly ost as to what is going on. It's just bad. I wasted a lot of time today helping with a new instal. X5 in 32 bit working fine. Install X6 64 bit and X5 gets corrupt. explain that

read the threads Tom, aint sayin you had a good install. a lot of others are having issues. Now buy any software out there and install it without a hitch. MC had created a nightmare and now people are having big problems. Ask any reseller if you dont believe me. my mcamx and shared mcamx has made a waste of what used to be a clean install. I'm not even going to talk about MD and Cd because we all know that is a total failure that is. a lot of hype from the V9 days............... how many years ago? and it is still usless.

I think part of the issue maybe that this is the first time the Migrate Utility has been part of a release. So naturally whenever something is new there is some growing pain involved in learning how to use it.

Whenever I update machine defs, control def's or posts I use the update folder utility. I only use the migrate utility for the my mcam folder. Any anything I update I make sure I copy prior to updating or make a backup of it just in-case something doesn't copy over properly or it gets corrupted.

I work with two very knowledgeable tech guys and can say they wouldn't leave your facility without getting Mastercam installed on your computer with everything updated and running properly.

#1 on the Update Folder utility.

I've no problems updating from Version to Version at all.

I also don't use the default machine/control def and post locations. I create a folder for each machine, and put the machine def/control def/post and tool libraries in the same folder, and each machine folder under each version number. Eg: c:\mastercam machines\x5\Machine 1\ and c:\mastercam machines\x6\Machine 1\

When I update, I just copy the folders under X(old version) to X(new version) and run the update folder utility.

I have been at certain places where IT thought we were all idiots so they kept permissions out of our hands. This was a complete pain doing anything locally on the pc because you had asked for rights on certain folders. The User folders seems to have helped get rid of this issue.

I used the migration utility just recently, I will post if I see any issues.

We followed Jp's instruction to the T. John, nothing agianst you, you help more than most from CNC themselves. Anywho, corupt X5 and X6 MMD and CD and pst. all mashed togerther.

I had the same problems I just figured I eff'd it up by doing something wrong.

I ended up just un/re-installing. :blink: :blink:

PEACE :D

One thing I've recently played with more is using the update folder to do everything without moving anything.

I did blow up X6 once til I got what I wanted but now I see how it works cleanly.

Run the Updated folder on shared mcamx5, move things to shared mcamx x6, allow sub-folders

click only the file types you want.

Click the first one that wants to copy over and set to no, and set the click to set all other instances the same and it will leave the X6 standard posts alone and only update the ones that don't currently exist into that folder.