Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

best machine for one offs

My shop is looking to purchase a new machine in the next year but were kind of undecided on what machine style/brand to get. We do a lot of small qty runs and a lot of prototype style parts. Most of the stuff we do is smaller stuff under lets say 10" x 10" x 10" cube. Almost always multi sided parts. We do a few larger parts but not much. And we also do have some larger qty work but it's here and there. Also the materials we work with vary from plastics to Stainless to 4140. so a wide variety of everything. Right now I do on average 5-10+ setups a day.

I'm looking at possibly a 5 axis mill or a horizontal mill. I was curious to see what people think would be the better machine for doing small part runs also what would be the most versatile machine? also what brands are best bang for your buck. Thanks for your time and opinions.

If you're looking at a 5-axis machine I really like the Matsuura MX-520.

http://www.matsuura.co.jp/english/contents/products/mx520.html

It has great access to the machine table, which is ideal for one offs in my opinion.

I don't think it comes with all the bells and whistles for 5-axis simultaneous machining but for multi-side parts it would be an excellent choice.

And it's a Matsuura which are one of the best made machines going IMO.

• Like 1

It has great access to the machine table, which is ideal for one offs in my opinion.

I don't think it comes with all the bells and whistles for 5-axis simultaneous machining but for multi-side parts it would be an excellent choice.

Get it with the "5X related option package" and you're good to go. If you are US based and buying through Methods you'll get it bundled with Camplete:-)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Get it with the "5X related option package" and you're good to go. If you are US based and buying through Methods you'll get it bundled with Camplete:-)

Fissed for accuracy. ;)

If you don't need the 5ax for compound holes, I truly believe the best machine would be a 5 pallet hori with 15k spindle and 200 tools.

A library set in the machine with ally cutters (1>75), steel (76>150) and the rest as swap outs, with chick/pullback/vacuum/std vice etc on pallet faces, and leaving other pallets for 4xblock chick (prod work) or whatever, gives you the best flexibility.

Matsuura 405 would be my ideal machine.

Failing that, you can do a LOT of damage with a 10k rpm robodrill and a 4th axis/raiser block.

http://www.tsudakoma.co.jp/mta/english/product/nc01.html

http://www.nikken-world.com/en/products/5-axis-tables

Over the pond here, these are regarded as the best.

I looked at putting a 5ax table onto our robodrill predominantly to use it for 3+2 work.

But to be honest, the more I learnt about it the more I realised I didn't know...fanuc options for TWP, tool lenth and cutter comps, possible PLC mods, mastercam post, verification software, learning curve blah blah.

So for the time being, it's 4ax we're sticking with.

I know DMG have some reliability issues at times, but in the situation you are describing I would recommend a DMU50 with the Heidi TNC control. If I personally had to spend money on a small prototype machine that is the one I would buy. They are easy to use and the conversational control allows you to do almost anything without wandering back to the office to programme and post from a CAM system.

If you are on a budget, then a HAAS (shiver) with a trunnion might be an option. Surely the second hand market will have something that you could make use of also.

HTH

Bruce

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

http://www.tsudakoma...oduct/nc01.html

http://www.nikken-wo...s/5-axis-tables

Over the pond here, these are regarded as the best.

I looked at putting a 5ax table onto our robodrill predominantly to use it for 3+2 work.

But to be honest, the more I learnt about it the more I realised I didn't know...fanuc options for TWP, tool lenth and cutter comps, possible PLC mods, mastercam post, verification software, learning curve blah blah.

So for the time being, it's 4ax we're sticking with.

CAMplete erases the need for TWP, TCPC, POSTS, blah, blah, blah... ;)

Just sayin'

:whistle:

CAMplete erases the need for TWP, TCPC, POSTS, blah, blah, blah... ;)

Just sayin'

:whistle:

James - really?

So if we rigged a 5ax tilt table to the robodrill without adding any of the fanuc options (twp etc but obviously adding a couple of servo drives), what can we do with the mastercam we have (as in siggy)?

How would we handle 3+2 programming and I'm asuming we could only program from centre of rotation if we didn't have the twp and bells and whistles?

Please put your sheepskin coat on :D and hit me with the laymans basic explanation of what camplete can do - very intersting.

Cheers

What is the approx cost of this machine? Looks great!

I hear Micron makes a pretty good 5 Axis machine. Whatever you do though, stay away from DMG. Constantly having those thing fixed around here.

DMG's are good machines. Just like any machine you have to take car of it and not crash it.

• Like 1
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

James - really?

So if we rigged a 5ax tilt table to the robodrill without adding any of the fanuc options (twp etc but obviously adding a couple of servo drives), what can we do with the mastercam we have (as in siggy)?

How would we handle 3+2 programming and I'm asuming we could only program from centre of rotation if we didn't have the twp and bells and whistles?

Please put your sheepskin coat on :D and hit me with the laymans basic explanation of what camplete can do - very intersting.

Cheers

I could write a novel on how great CAMplete is and what it can do. Whatever you do, don't listen to the Vericut guys. With all do respect, they don't know $#!+ about the product. :o and I mean it. They have been responsible for more tech calls for me but I digress.

In mastercam, program your part however/wherever you want. No need to put it in "actual position". It hs transforms available in te software to move it wherever you want. It is a GUI/WYSIWYG post processor. 3+2... Just use the same point on the part as your origin and CAMplete will take care of the rest. It will post out multiple WCS' if you want.I don't reccommend using h cut part simulation unless you have a 64bit rig.