Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

convert 7 to x6

svatek

V7 will not run on a 64 bit system AFAIK, your files are going to need to be opened with V9 and saved as .MC9 (V8 may work, not sure)

A lot of people keep an old computer (32 bit) around with V9 loaded on it just for this reason.

I remember 7, first with toolpath associativity.

Talk to your reseller, they might be able to give you some sort of V9 temporary key so you can do the V7-V9-X6 convert.

WE HAVE VERSION 9 BUT IT WAS NEVER USED BY MY PREDECESSOR.

your current license/hasp will support a V9 install if you can find the install disks

install V9 on an old Win32 computer and use it to upgrade your files from V7 to V9

then you will be able to open the V9 files in X6 ...

also .. a brief note on forum etiquette... ALL CAPS is considered yelling

welcome to the forum..

your current license/hasp will support a V9 install if you can find the install disks

install V9 on an old Win32 computer and use it to upgrade your files from V7 to V9

also .. a brief note on forum etiquette... ALL CAPS is considered yelling

welcome to the forum..

Thats right the X NHasp will support V9, we have done this here at work for the same reason. Altough it shutsdown whenever I close V9.

I believe MC started at version 3.

BTW James, What version did you start at?

I took 3 semesters of Mastercam at a local community college that used X5

V8 was the first version I really stared working with though.

I need to setup a win32 computer (probably Win XP)

If you do not have another physical machine, think virtual.

www.virtualbox.org

My system is Win7 64-bit and I have virtual machine with XP 32-bit.

I run Mastercam X# within that virtual machine when I need to check out stuff on a 32-bit OS.

*I've not tried to install v9.

Dell Precision 6500

8 GB RAM

250 GB SSD drive

500 GB std. drive

and running out of space! :X

I started at 3. It was included on an old Centroid controller, running on a 386. Toolpath/coons LOL.

Roger, I remember you from Axsys before you went to corporate, was a while ago. Thanks for the help with the V7 post :)

svatek,

My memory is not so good anymore. (Though I do recall going to Mastercam v3 training in mid 1990 :blink:)

Try this... It'll only take a minute.

Make a copy of your old v7 Tool Library and change the name so that it has the file extension of a v7 Part file.

Load this "part" file into v9 and save it out as a v9 "part" file.

Now change the file extension on this new file to what is proper for a v9 Tool Library.

James started with Mastercam .1, That consisted of a piece of rock, and another piece of rock. He used to ride a sabre tooth tiger to work. Hmm... I think I better get back to work... :)

• Like 1
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The first version I used was 3.1 IIRC... could have been 3.0 too. All I know it was running on a x386 with a Math Co-Processor and on DOS.

Yep it was a big deal when the 486 came out because it had a built in math coprocessor. The first computer I built for Mastercam use was a 486/133. I bought a $100 video card, with 1M of onboard memory, expandable to 4. Was top of the line at the time because it was PCI instead of ISA or VLB. I paid the big bucks and got the 1.3G hard drive, the manufacturer recommended partitioning it in several chunks because of it's large size.

My first Mastercam computer, running V4.11, was a Compaq Prolinea 486 DX33. I bought the upgraded hard disk option (120mb), and upped the stock ram from 4mb to 12mb. I stuck with the stock graphics card (whatever that was), but bought the bigger monitor (15" at the time). I was rockin'..

My, how times have changed :)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
My, how times have changed :)

True dat!

I can remember lack of "associativity" like it was yesterday. Perhaps because I've been doing this for so long is a reason why I am relatively tolerant of some of Mastercam's shortcomings, I remember the days when programming was REALLY though. Having to actualy model toolpath to get the exact motion you wanted. I still have to do this from time to time but I'd say it's probably limited to a few projects a year. I was talking to a programmer friend yesterday (we both got started in the early 90's) he asked the question; "Is it easier to be a programmer today or back in the day?" I said I dunno. I think in aerospace today it's harder than it was because in the early 90's BAC and MD were just starting to engineer "monolithic structures" so you didn't have a lot of the traing wreckage parts we have now. Definitely a thought provoking question.

• 10 months later...

Man! I've been searching the archives for 3 hours so if the answer is there and I've missed it, please accept my apologies,

But how can I do a mass convert of MC7's to MC9.

I have X5 and V9 installed on this machine, (XP 32). Bought a new PC, Win 7 32, so I can install SolidWorks2013 and will be installing X6 fresh. I have 1350 MC7 files I'd like to convert while I have access to V9

1 by 1 isn't an option. How do I do a mass convert??

Those MC7 are old and decrepit but I don't want to lose them

Thanks