Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ThreadC.dll - looking for first hand experience

Is anybody using the ThreadC.dll C-hook? I'm looking for somebody familiar with using the C-hook, right up through actually cutting a part with it.

Thanks,

Don Boire

CNC Software, Inc.

Post Department

What does it do ??

Is it supposed to be in the c-hook folder ??

PEACE :D

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I used it once, it takes FOREVER to generate a cycle and it does not appear to do anything anydifferent than the normal threading cycle.

I'd kill it unless there is some other purpose to it.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Oh, one more thing, when I posted out code, I got a truckload of NCI errors with it and there were no options to change the cycle output (Canned, Box, Longhand, etc...). It only outputs G32, the X dimensions are FUBAR.

I was not about to actually run it.

Definitely kill it.

Just

I've used it a couple times to demo the function for customers who do oil field threads which have tricky tapered profiles. Basically it allows you to draw the thread and then just select a chain instead of specifying parameters for start and end point, taper and so on. The post has to be adjusted to make it work as well.

Personally I've never cut a part with it but I have two customers that I know of that use it regularly and find it much quicker to program threads when they are starting with an accurate solid model that they can get a chain from.

It would really be a shame to lose it but I can see the problem if no one is using it. I think it would be great to just add the option to select a chain in the normal threading cycle.

I think the other threading function that Ajmer and Glenn mentioned to rough and finish using a cutter that isn't the same shape as the thread form is a great idea. I often get requests for this. Mostly from companies trying to cut very large buttress threads (often tapered) using a grooving tool.

A while back I did a work around for that threading function which uses a lathe finish cycle but posts as a threading cycle. I just chained the cross sectional profile of the thread and then used Misc Variables to set the thread start, end and taper. That technique worked pretty well to use a grooving tool to thread a profile.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Now that you mention it Matt... maybe killing it is not such a good idea. It does definitely need so help with processing time though. Maybe multi-thread (CPU task that is) it to help things along.

I did a part many years ago that was basically a thread that was normal to a curve. We had to do some elaborate stuff to pull it off not to mention we HAD to do it on an Integrex. This toolpath may have just done the trick. I'll have to pull it out and see what happens with that old part.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's no lie. I was going through my CD archives last night and saw the part. That could have made it easier no doubt. I wonder if it's too late to go in there now? :D