Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT?how many years how many shops

MACHINEMASTERG

+1 Franco. You’re a good guy Rick and a better programmer…

I think its been in 4 shops in 12 years –not counting the two hack shops in Campbell Ca that both start with a J…

The first one lasted about 1 hour 45 minutes. I asked the foreman where the collets and drills were after writing a program and he points me to these two boxes. One was a box of loose drills and one a box of gouged, bent up, rusty old, mix and match collets. I should have known by the kitty litter dams piled up around all the machines when I interviewed. I told them don’t worry about even processing the paperwork keep the hour and a half.

The second one I was at for about a month, (it was 10 min from home). Every tool holder had been crashed and I ended up coming in one Saturday indicating a bunch of holders and putting covert scribe marks on the best ones. I also took apart and serviced a couple vises, (all of which looked like swiss cheese). Eventually the vultures figured out that my setups always yieded the best pickens. Every time I needed a nice endmill I had to go beg the foreman to open his box up -which was like trying to yank a tooth from his mouth. We all had to grovel like beggers for soup and bread in a depression era food line. The last straw was when he wanted me to start some steel job and gives me this 4fl insert cutter with one nest completely snapped off. I said, “your kidding right”? And he tells me to make it work –on an ancient Kitamura My1 belt drive machine that the spindle would stall in without alarming out. I went to lunch and came back two days later to pick up my boxes.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So You mean no one has come close to me in the different shops they have worked in. Has to be soemone out there that come close to it and if you think I am full if Sh?t can give list of all.

Crazy Millman maybe that is the problem need a stable envoirment to not be crazy in hum let me see. I know the funny farm.

cg777,

I noticed this in your profile

quote:

playing drums and fishing in canada

Where do you go to fish in Canada. Have you ever been to the west coast and tried for salmon? I am heading off in a few hours do fish for halibut and salmon. Check out the pic in my profile. We got five like that one last sunday. biggrin.gif

Phil

I literally learned to walk in a machine shop. When I was 2, I was old enough to pick-up coke bottles, at 6, could run the saws. By the time I was in high school, I knew more than the shop teacher. (he wasnt good.)

Started programing (MDI) in 1986 and purchased MC 1994. After 15 years working full-time for my Dad, I had enough and left while our relationship was still intact.

Framing, roofing and general carpentry for 24 months and realized my body couldn't sustain these activities for 20 years (especially in the cold/hot New England area.

Bounced around differnet shops for a couple years, then started my own shop a few years ago.

BTW: I use my grandfather's Gerstner and my uncle uses his grandfather's (my great-grandfather's)

[ 08-16-2003, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Surface ]

There is an old saying "If all you know is a hammer, then all the world is a nail"

This is true for many trades, but none more-so than machining. After being in any trade long enough, you think, work and behave like a member of that trade. But also, when I was learning the trade, a mentor corrected me one day. I said to him, that I had just seen him do the same thing. He told me "The difference between a tradesman and an aprentice, is the aprentice does it the right way."

After reading this board for two years, I have come to know many of the member's atitudes and styles of machining as well as life. This has been an interesting thread, because I can better realize where and how those attiudes were/are-being formed.

[ 08-16-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Surface ]

24 years, nine different shops, minimal production machining, aluminum & plastic injection molds, aerospace, lots of designing, and tons of tooling (includes the Harley cult following as well - not really tooling but fun anyways). smile.gif

At least sixteen different machine tools with controls too numerous to mention - the challenge just keeps me coming back day after day; Partial to Mazaks and one off miracles.

Honorable mention goes to my wife for putting up with my poor attitude and the distinguishing odour de coolant that really turns her on. biggrin.gif Perhaps somebody else knows what I'm taking about in here.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

I have been doin this since I graduated highschool in 1996. Over the last 7 yrs - I was at the the 1st shop for 3 months, 2nd 1 yr, 3rd 4 yrs, and the one I'm at now 2 yrs. Mold, production, and aerospace are the types of machining I have to deal with. biggrin.gif

26 years, 3 shops

5 yrs protype shop, completed apprentiship

5 yrs Princeton University, Mostly in the Physics and Chemistry departments.

16 Years Sarnoff Corporation. Making anything and everything. Like working for Thomas Edison in the 21st century.

great uncle worked at Browne & Sharpe

Grandfather at Taft pierce

bla bla bla

Hey that is a good lead what got you into this. I had noone in the family that did this and was one of the people everyone said should be a doctor or laywer. I really pissed my guidence consular when in the 9th grade I threw away the 3.96 GPA the honor society and the 7th place ranking in my class to take machine shop after just seeing it and saying I want to do this. Mind you that I grew up with nothing and knew I had to support myself through college so knew I had to do something to make it. 17 years later still doing it and never regert that decsion one day love doing this and wouldn't change anywhere I have worked yea all 17 places and have done.

Crazy Millman

ps I did take some college classes but after taking that damn college english 5 time to pass know I made the right choice. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif