Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cam softwares

dallen

I am looking at Cam software. I have used Smartcam for years. I have heard good and bad about Mastercam. One bad thing I have heard is it is clunky to use. And it has a terrible interface compared to others. The only other software I am considering is edgecam. Does anyone one know anything about edgecam and how it compares to mastercam. I do milling and turning and we are going to all solid cad data.

Any help?

Welcome to the forum.

Mastercam may seem clunky at first. Once you're used to it, it flies. It's very powerful and flexable. The support, as you can see by the size of this forum, is awsome. The ability to create your own custom posts is awsome.

I personally like the way mastercam's interface is layed out, but, like anything, could use some improvements. (The next version will be a substantial change, with more of a "winblows" look and feel.)

It's my belief that you almost can't go wrong with mastercam. I would suggest you get a set of parts you want machined, then have the reps from mastercam and edgecam come by and show you their stuff.

'Rekd

quote:

It's my belief that you almost can't go wrong with mastercam.

+10 rekd

i started on master cam whent to anvil express then to feature cam then to back to master cam then on to alpha cam then to Unigraphics.

also tested gibbs. i'm still on unigraphics untill

the master cam sales rep get back here next week.

" I CAN'T WAIT "

need i day more. cheers.gif

I used SmartCam and Ideas when smartcam got rolled over into it and I have used edge cam and can say that was the worst cad cam software I have ever seen. I have used Master Cam for about 3 years now and love it. I think that smartcam had a few different opitions for tool paths but you learn different ways around them in a hurry. I still like ideas alot also.

My opinion of Edgecam/Pathtrace strictly from a cnc mill point of view...

It was pretty fast for the simple 2d stuff. Comparable to Geopath vs. Mastercam. I didn't like that you always had to generate a command every time you wanted to return to your rapid clearance plane but you get used to looking for them in your operations manager once you miss one. And it did come handy a few times for eliminating up and down Z moves in those rare instances they aren't needed. Once you get to 3D it was way behind Mastercam in toolpath options, grouping and levels, solids generation and surface toolpath options. They are gold partners with Solidworks wich is nice. They also have a verify but its more like a verify lite compared to the verify in Mastercam. The Geometry creation left something to be desired but not as bad as Virtual Gibbs. They are an English software and probably don't have 1/10 the support you would find with Mastercam (in most areas). I'm not sure about the price breakdown compared to Mastercam. I really like being back on Mastercam, I learned on Mastercam, if I had to pick a second choice it would be probably be Edgecam/Pathtrace because I spent a few years on it but with every update they, (along with Geopath), rip more off from Mastercam so I guess you are essentially buying a Mastercam knockoff if you decide to go with them.

I started using Mastercam Mill and Lathe in 1986. Since then, I've used and/or been exposed to several other CAD/CAM software packages. I currently use Mastercam to write 5-axis programs among other things.

I've never encountered a CNC machining project that Mastercam couldn't handle. Mastercam is easy to use; it's quite intuitive for those who know what they're trying to accomplish.

Mastercam's support is great.

Good luck in your search. Hope this helps.

Dave

+1 Rekd

quote:

It's my belief that you almost can't go wrong with mastercam. I would suggest you get a set of parts you want machined, then have the reps from mastercam and edgecam come by and show you their stuff.

The Mastercam demo will be at your place and on your parts,,avoid the canned demo from anyone.As an existing cam guy you will be able to make your own call.

+1 Scott

In my days I have yet to find a canned demo

that tastes very good.

If they can't find the time to give you a demo

in your house, then thats probably how good your supports going to be. Plus you get e-mastercam

for the same price. Ask them if they got support

like that. THATS WHAT I THOUGHT

PEACE biggrin.gif

Good evening Allen,

you prolly won't take me as an objective person (We're a MasterCam reseller) but let me tell you one thing before you buy Edge CAM, make sure they have a post for you because we went to a customer who had a Fanuc control and asked the guy (from EdgeCAM) to post a file for him and the code was'nt right so he asked him how they'd fix it so the guy told him no problem that you just change this by hand??? Fanuc is there more standard than Fanuc? Evaluate before buying.

Simon cool.gif

Well dallen I have heard all of the sales pitches fro mthem all. i have had them all come in and do the same part. The part was a 440 SS 90 3" female pipe nipple. I was making the whole part from rectangle bar stock. I not only got more capabilite with Mastercam but It was easily repsented, modeled and created from scratch. I have a guy that works with me that just switched over from A very pricey software and he is doing Modelmaking and complete part repoduction using Mastercam. I will also back up the ability to write your own posts and make them do what you want very easy. I have no computer language skills but can follow the postprosser code very easy. I have worked on a post for a 5 axis machine and figured it out.

I would also recommned that you look on the market and see what books are avaiable for the other software out there. We get files in all types of formats from Solidworks, Pro-E, Parasolid, IGES, and yes STL. Our files are sometimes very big up to 60 and 70 mb and can use them very well. I also like the add-ons that Mastercam has like Moldplus it is a great time saving tool.

I will also say this what tools do you have in your toolbox. I have about $40,000 worth and the Majority are Starrett. I feel if you want to do the best work buy the best so if you want to get the best program for the job buy Mastercam you want to get by and wodner if buy the others.

Crazy Millman

PS: May be not so crazy afterall.

I've been using Mastercam for the past 12 years. In that 12 years, I spent 5 years of using Unigraphics, and while its a powerful design system, and has a lot of toolpathing features, I found it really clunky to use, also a !@#$$%^ to learn. But I back up what others have said here:

Mastercam's posts are easy to modify, and you get a bucketload of predefined posts with the system, and I also agree, there hasn't been a part in Mastercam that I haven't been able to program.

Plus, Mastercam is easy to use smile.gif

Regards,

Mick

A SolidWorks rep tried selling us their CAD software and suggested Edgecam as the CAM counterpart. But having MC for only 14 months now I felt 'let's learn MC first'.

I have 2D cad and Autocad exp. but have used only MC for cadcam purposes.

While their is a lot to learn using MC with all the powers it has, I felt comfortable using MC from day one. The rest of the time spent was learning the program. While it's true I can't compare MC to something I've never used, I would never even think of replacing it with another CAM software. The 3D modeling in MC works great for me. MC is the complete package. Their's a reason it's number one in sales... it works!!

I've heard great things about SolidWorks, but Edgecam I've heard has a lot of negatives. Rekd's suggestion is a sound one. Try them both. After you do I believe the choice will be obvious, MC will win out.

Besides, does Edgecam have a forum like this one? Another very important consideration. I've personally received a lot of valuable advice in here that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hello dallen,

You've stumbled onto a Goldmine of machining and Mastercam knowledge. This forum alone would be enough to convince me that Mastercam is the way to go. In here, you've got support 24-7. Sometimes you may have to wait a bit but be patient and you'll not be disappointed. Masterca's user base far outwieghs anything else out there by a HUGE margin! If Lathe is what you are into, you'll not be disappointed either. 4-5 Axis you're gig? MC does that exceptionally well also. Now, MC's not perfect, it still has room for improvement but I've been machining over 10 years and I've not seen anything that MC cannot do yet. Something stumped me a few years ago but gstephens showed me some stuff and BAM what was once thought impossible is now possible.

JM2C