Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mitsui Seiki HU100A-5XLL

Can't imagine the stress level for an operator who's handling raw material that's more expensive than his annual salary. :help:

Stadco and CFI used to do final machining for the right and left F22 AFT Booms, respectively. part was an EB weldment, roughly the size of a '60 Volkswagen bus, costing over $4million before we laid a tool on it!!

a lot of years in a Siberian labor camp for messing one of those.

edit:electron beam welded titanium...

Stadco and CFI used to do final machining for the right and left F22 AFT Booms, respectively. part was an EB weldment, roughly the size of a '60 Volkswagen bus, costing over $4million before we laid a tool on it!!

a lot of years in a Siberian labor camp for messing one of those.

We did a big HY100 forging for the Navy 2 years ago.

It was a one of a kind forging, 5 years in the making, 15 ft x 15 ft x 8 ft, 45,000 pounds coming in the door 28,000 pounds leaving.

I have no idea what that thing cost or what we billed, or even what is was, but it was a very stressful 3 months.

Well, did you order a new e1550 yet?

If we do it will be the e1850 single pallet.

It turns out a couple of our customers run this series of machine and my boss is going to

check their machines out.

One of our customers bought several smaller pallet machines and had real trouble getting them

dialed in. I'm thinking that was more of a learning curve than a machine issue.

Whats it like cutting that HY100 material? Always wanted to make some stuff with that.

its pretty soft .. cuts easy and leaves a nice finish .. but it's alive, it moves around like jello

holding tight dimensions can be a pain.

massive stress gets built into the material during forging or rolling..

Last year I mill milled a bunch of pockets in a large 4.5" thick plate held on knees with 3 big steel caps

There was so much stress in the plate the plate stripped 2 3/4-10 bolts right out of the knees

and threw a Ø8" x 3" thick steel cap across the shop. The plate sprang out almost 6" off the knees.

We send those plates out to stress relief first now and that solved the problem

Last year I mill milled a bunch of pockets in a large 4.5" thick plate held on knees with 3 big steel caps

There was so much stress in the plate the the plate stripped 2 3/4-10 bolts right out of the knees

and threw a Ø8" x 3" thick steel cap across the shop. The plate sprang out almost 6" off the knees.

We send those plates out to stress relief first now and that solved the problem

Yikes.

G, If I'm ever in California I'm stopping buy to check out your place :thumbup:

Mike

Yikes.

G, If I'm ever in California I'm stopping buy to check out your place :thumbup:

Mike

Damn and here I thought I was having a hard time with 120" long 3" thick plates of aluminum bending and twisting .250" heh

ya, gcode is lucky/unlucky to work in one of the most bad a$$ shops around.

with great power comes great pain. eh?

Damn and here I thought I was having a hard time with 120" long 3" thick plates of aluminum bending and twisting .250" heh

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

The operator certainly believed it. He was backing the 3/4 bolts out at the time

and the steel cap brushed his ear on the way by

G, how much Z travel do you need?

as much as we can afford.. we specialize in big stuff and no matter how big we go, our sales staff

will bring something in that's on the bleeding edge of what we can handle.

That Mitsui Seiki comes with 3 different ranges of Z travel, depending on how much money

you're will willing to spend.

The stock machine has 55" of Z and you can buy a 63" or 70" upgrade

It looks like a killer machine and thier AE's have satisfied my concerns about the A axis.

The machine I ran in the past had one A axis motor and hydralic counterbalances.

This model has 2 seriously upgraded motors, heavy duty gearing, glass scales and no conterbalances at all.

I think my boss is going to go with the Mazak though. He was like a kid in a candy store after his tour Monday.

I am very happy and satisfied with the Mazaks that we have here, but I am also familiar with Mitsui Seiki from my days @ Pratt & Whitney. If we were comparing apples to apples I would choose Mitsui Seiki over Mazak any day, but none of the e series have failed us yet.

Mitsui Seiki... Mazak. Hmmmm, Matsuura.... Haas. Decisions, decisions.

Not!

Please show me a mill-turn Matsuura, Mitsui Seiki, Okuma, etc... with 120" X travel, 72" Y, and 70" Z then make comparisons.

We do have all those brands in here and are happy with all of them.

We also have a quote on very nice Toshiba MP2620 mill turn.

My boss intially choked on the price, but everything we've looked at since

has come in at a similar price range.. so he's over the sticker shock now :laughing:

However, 2 of our biggest customers are running e1850 series Mazaks

and are happy with them. That will be a big factor in my bosses eyes

and may trump the various advantages and disadvatages of the different machines.

Personally I really like the Mitsui Seiki. The HU63 I ran back in the day never failed

to impress me. I once had a source inspector suggest that a CMM report was faked because

the report looked too clean. It wasn't faked, that HU63 was just laser precise.

The HU100A is a monster, especially when you add the A and Z axis upgrades.

Off hand I can think of 3 high dollar jobs that machine can handle that we passed

on due to lack of capacity.