Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiaxis toolpath questions

gms1

So we are finally breaking into the 5 axis world with an Okuma 853PF-5x. I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing a book from the site here for myself aside from any training I might get from my reseller and after looking through the sample pdfs (thanks for that folks, nice to see a little taste of what I'm buying!) I'm thinking the volume 3 handbook is the right choice. The professional curriculum is a little to sterile for my tastes. So my question is, is this a good book? Or, should I just hold out for X7 and pickup a book for that instead.

The books are a really good starting point, you will get all the basics and fundamentals of the software in the books, most of what you find works best for you will be through experiance but for what $60? its a good investment.

Also highly recommend "Secrets of 5-axis machining"

Not a lot of differents between the X6/X7 books, really depends on if you can wait for the X7 version or you need to start toolpathing asap

I fully agree with RayD when looking at the books.

Also highly recommend "Secrets of 5-axis machining" Now this is for sure a good one to have if you are new to 5axis and want more understanding of 5axis machines them self's. This can help you ask the right questions when you have them about the machine and what you are trying to do.

You'll need a machine simulator, too. Get on Okuma for the files, or start to draw them up. Or are you running vericut?

So, if I get in touch with Mazak and Haas will they send a model of the machines we have to setup these sims? Sorry, I was just curious after reading your reply. Because I started modeling up a VF2 once. If Haas or other machine makers give these out that would be great! And programming the last part I did on our Mazak has me worried something may crash.

I'm thinking the volume 3 handbook is the right choice.

Very good resorce,... I don't teach Mcam from a book page by page but the manual has very good explainations of variuos settings and utilities specific to the multiaxis toolpaths.

I asked my boss about Vericut but he said it was expensive. So I am stuck with "hoping" it isn't going to crash the machine.

How much did he invest in a 5 axis machine?

Machine sim in Mcam is nice, but it's still not much different than backplot & verify,.. there is really only so much visualization you can do can do and be confident the toolpath is not going to crash. Vericut is the next best thing to proving the program in the machine,....

I asked my boss about Vericut but he said it was expensive.

WOW!!! Short sighted ,to say the least. If Vericut prevents just 1 damaging crash, it will have already paid for itself.

IMO, worst kind of shop, invest in only 75% of what you need and expect 125% out of it.

Good Luck!!!

We have three vertical 5X mills, a Cincinnati, a JOBS gantry and a Zimmerman gantry.

I rarely use Vericut. If I do it's to run an Auto-Diff session.

The time constraints we work under make Vericut a luxury I usually skip.

All that is about to change however as we are looking to buy a trunnion style 5X HMC.

While I am confident my current 5X programs are crash free, I can't say the same

about 5X HMC files. That's a whole different animal and with 1600ipm rapids,a very unforgiving animal :laughing:

Should we buy a new 5X HMC I will be using Vericut a whole lot more

I tried the Vericut route and had the guy in for a demo session and possible quote and it fell through. This was well before we were even considering a 5X. I'd like to get vericut or camplete for verification because straight-up backplot and verify inside of mastercam just doesn't show everything and it has bit me before. I just can't get the cost justification through to the powers that be.

Cjep -- yeah that's what I'm looking for from a book. I can follow a list of instructions thats say click this, type that, click that.. I want to know why I'm doing things and what it does. From those sample PDF's I thought the Handbook was better at that than the professional courseware.

I tried the Vericut route and had the guy in for a demo session and possible quote and it fell through. This was well before we were even considering a 5X. I'd like to get vericut or camplete for verification because straight-up backplot and verify inside of mastercam just doesn't show everything and it has bit me before. I just can't get the cost justification through to the powers that be.

Cjep -- yeah that's what I'm looking for from a book. I can follow a list of instructions thats say click this, type that, click that.. I want to know why I'm doing things and what it does. From those sample PDF's I thought the Handbook was better at that than the professional courseware.

we use camplete and it works very very well and like everyone else i deff recomend a verification that uses the actual code. as far as the models most repitible palces will give you generic stl files to use but most make your company sign a rights waiver. i dont know vericut at all but camplete you can mod the code line for line if you need to move one point or one vector or whatever and it will show it in real time and allso verifys to the code only