Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Dynamic multi-axis milling

AlbertZini

chuckle... :-) High speed 5-axis milling on a Haas, with a trunnion, and a ER11 tool holder??? Too funny. This must have been for Mastercam demonstration purposes only. If I were to try this I would generate a 2D HST peel mill or similar, then convert to 5-axis with the convert to 5-axis toolpath. Basically that toolpath gives tool axis control functionality to any 2D toolpath.

chuckle... :-) High speed 5-axis milling on a Haas, with a trunnion, and a ER11 tool holder??? Too funny. This must have been for Mastercam demonstration purposes only. If I were to try this I would generate a 2D HST peel mill or similar, then convert to 5-axis with the convert to 5-axis toolpath. Basically that toolpath gives tool axis control functionality to any 2D toolpath.

Here's the original theme) http://zueiaixingchen.blog.163.com/blog/static/72472425201311911231804/?latestBlog

If I were to try this I would generate a 2D HST peel mill or similar, then convert to 5-axis with the convert to 5-axis toolpath. Basically that toolpath gives tool axis control functionality to any 2D toolpath.

I would add the step of projecting the peel mill toolpath onto the surface, then convert to 5-axis. I am not familiar with the project option at all, but my guess is that it can be used to convert a 2D toolpath to a 3D toolpath, correct? The 'convert to 5-axis' toolpath would then convert the 3D toolpath to 5-axis where you could specify tool axis control. Seems like a pretty slick way to rough out impellers.

Then a couple of swarf wall finishing passes and a blend floor finishing toolpath converted to 5-axis, and a macro to do a radial copy of everything in the control and there you have it.

you have to watch how it projects though because that will totally change your stepover/tool engagement.

it's either a 2+3axis and we just can't see that, or 2+3 and project + convert to 5-axis

or, or or .. it's a morph toolpath with 'blend spline' as the linking parameters and just happened to work our nicely here :)

Make up your mind already! (kidding Tyler)

Well, I'll be visiting here more often soon. Was mainly in off topic for the past several years (no questions to ask for X2).

Got the go ahead to upgrade.. On to X6! (and newer versions thereafter!) X7 near, huh? Goodie!

Bob,

Project toolpaths can produce super sweet and beautiful finishes. Definitely worthwhile looking into...You can use a flat 2D containment boundary for projecting on to a surface for machining. Will need two chaining boundaries. I haven't used project much lately, but when I do it gives great results.

Will need to be careful using this method. There is a lot of Material being left on the blades. Might look to adding more lines down the blades to get little better control of tool axis to get more off the blades if you do not want to leave to much on them. Other than that a good example of a way to accomplish what you were after.

Okay dug into your levels and see you have the lines on the flie. You have them normal to the floor and that might be what is giving you some of the tilt issues, but the question then has to come will to much tilt violate the floor when trying to get the walls in the roughing operation. Might have to come with a swarf and depth of cuts to get ti down to what you want for finishing.

Did a little more digging and see you are using a ball endmill verse a bull endmill so spending time to get the tilt dialed it would work with the ball endmill with no worry about tilt hitting the floor.

Nice path Axel,

now I need to see this getting cut on a machine. How about using some Inconnel 718+. I've yet to find a magic 6mm ball endmill that will take cuts like that

don't take this the wrong way I'm not to beating you up, just living real

post-461-0-52271200-1364323900_thumb.jpg