Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Starrett tools Made in China

Mattingly

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that they are not going to pack up the whole factory and ship it across the ocean - they are only tring to compete with the Fowler stuff that you can buy off some guy in a cube van.

If I want a quality gauge - I always buy Starret or something Swiss, never cut corners for quality...

I've never spent a dime on Starret. Why? Their calipers I guess... such a big ol' fat face to try to measure holes with. Wait, I lied, I've bought mostly Starret edge finders.

I've had 2 sets of Mitutoyo calipeters my entire career. (I'd still have the first ones if I hadn't dropped them on the cement.. rolleyes.gif )

I still have the same 0-1" Mitutoyo mic that I got with my calipeters and scale in the wooden box over 16 years ago. Still calibrates every year. Still looks new.

I've still got my original Mitutoyo .0005" dial indicator with an indocol that I spun at 8,000 rpm. The dove tail broke off in one area as it flew across the machine, hit the sheet metal and landed in the coolant. Same indocol too! (Not as straight as it used to be, but works!)

'Rekd teh hey, Millman, can I borrow you indicator?

[ 09-10-2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

Sure Rekd I got three of them I had 5 at one time but I did the spindle thing to one and an apperticance did the other. They BTW are brown and sharpe as well as my Veriners but now the B/S 12" suck. I was lucky to have got the 12" back when they were still all steel. All of my outside Mic's to 12 in are Starret, inside to 12 in, depth to 6 in, 3 in travel indicator, radius gauages, and alot more. I do not like the veriners but I know some people that do.

Hey Rekd there is only one thing you break it you bought it. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Crazy millman

Here's another valuable tip:

When using an edgefinder, make sure your machine is set at 1000 RPM and not 10000 RPM! SPROING!

biggrin.gif Whoops, I did'nt see that extra zero.

This one shop I worked at a while back we customarily issued the new guy a set of tools. It was a nice toolbox but filled with a collection of everyone else's destroyed tools. biggrin.gif

LOL CMR

+2, (sproing and toolbox)

I have an old beat to hell mic that I like to play with.. A new guy starts, so I ask, "Can I borrow your mic? thanks!" Later that day, from across the shop.. "Here's your mic!" :toss_over_head: Turn around and walk away. I had one guy almost go over a bench and catch it. Boy was he pissed when he found out it wasn't his.. lol

'Rekd teh makes a great C-Clamp, too!

Oh BTW, my favorite caliper is indeed a Fowler.

However it is the "Sylvac" line, which is swiss made. The best part is the tenths readout (.0005) is a smaller number than the main readout. Very easy to see at a glance or at odd angles, and not have to see the half-thou digit..which is always a .0005 or .0000. My feeling anyway is that when your looking for that resolution, use some good mics.

Does anyone know of any other calipers that have the .0005 resolution in a smaller number? I've had these for over 10 years, and am getting nervous about replacing them.

Cracks me up that tape measures have 1/32" increments, however the print is almost 1/32" wide anyway! Like I'd trust a tape to 1/32"... tongue.gif

quote:

This one shop I worked at a while back we customarily issued the new guy a set of tools. It was a nice toolbox but filled with a collection of everyone else's destroyed tools.

At Schrey mold 1982, They had a birthday party in the shop for Walt Schrey(owner) . I being the kiss butt that I am gave him the biggest present. It was all of his tools that I had borrowed for the last five years.

Many (many ) years ago when I worked as a

repair machinist in the Marine Corp, I got to

work one morning to find all 4 of my 1 in mics

had been checked out by the sheet metal shop.

I go over there to see what's going on. These guys

are using my micrometers as clamps to TIG weld

2 pieces of sheet metal together mad.gif