Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

create a point

kkominiarek

quote:

Is it possible to create a point.....where the

"x,y" values are the "x midpoint value" of one line and the "y endpoint value" of a different line?

I don't know what these values are...I just want to select them. (not analyze and type in values)

You could create a point at say X0 Y0 Z the depth you want. Then go to analyze the point, edit, int the X value box put an x, hit enter then select midpoint, pick the midpoint. Then in the Y value box put a y, hit enter select endpoint, pick the endpoint and then pick apply.

HTH

Glenn

I used to run Teksoft at the last place I worked. It was very nice to draw in. It would promt you after you select a point to change the X,Y or Z location. If you select a point X8.000, Y3.000 and Z0.0 you could change any of the numbers before you set that point to the screen.

I don't know if I explained it very well but I sure do miss that feature of a cad program. I have an old demo of Teksoft 98 on my Computer at home sometimes I draw a couple of lines and arcs just to use that function. I can't remember anything else in it though.

Jody

Assuming the lines are 90 deg of each other. Can you Create, point, position, Relative, go over an pick the midpoint of one of the lines, then use the "polar" as the distance.From there you can then access the "s" function( which means the distance between two points)go over and measure the distance between the endpoint or intersection, and midpoint of the other line, and then tell it which angle to place the point(-90,180,90,0).

quote:

"x,y" values are the "x midpoint value" of one line and the "y endpoint value" of a different line?

I don't know what these values are...I just want to select them. (not analyze and type in values)

If this is what I think it is , it sounds like you want to try---- right click, and check autocursor on?? I know this is (2) simple but it sounds like what your asking for.

I guess what I am asking for is not possible with

Mastercam.

I have autocursor ON.....and I can create points/lines using all the methods mentioned....Thank you all for trying.

jagourley came the closest to understanding what I am asking for.

One more explanation of my question.

"x,y" values are the "x midpoint value" of one line and the "y endpoint value" of a different line? (i want to select just the "x" value of an endpoint then....... select just the "y" value of another endpoint......this will give me my "x,y" location)

What I do is sketch a point and use the analyze shortcut button and click on the point and then with edit set to Y you can define the x, y, and z coordinates individually. I'm sure a skilled vbs writer could whip something like this out. I have tried something similar but only changing the radius of an arc but was unable. It looks like everything is available I just do not have the skills.

HTH

For lines that are perpendicular to each other:

- Create|Point|Perp/dist

- Pick the horizontal line

- Pick it's midpoint

- At the 'distance' prompt, type y

- Pick the midpoint of the vertical line

- Pick the temporary line segment that is going in the correct direction.

For lines that are not perpendicular to each other, and/or are not paralell with the X or Y axis:

- Create|Line|Perpendicular|Point

- Pick one of the lines

- Pick it's midpoint

- Hit 'enter' to accept whatever the default length is (cause we don't much care)

- Pick the most convenent of the temporary lines

- Without exiting the command, do the same with the other line

- Hit ESC ESC ESC P P I (or Create|Point|Position|Intersecton)

- Pick the two lines created above

Hope that helps.

kkominiarek,

One other option that goes along with Rick's suggestion. Create-Line-Vertical and pick the midpoint of the line you want the "X" value to come from. Sketch the second endpoint of the vertical line to a position that will bring it beyond the midpoint of the "Y" value line.

Create-Line-Horizontal and pick the midpoint of the line you want the "Y" value taken from. Sketch the second endpoint to go past the previous Vertical line. Create-Point-Position-Intersection of the previous two lines. Delete the two lines as they aren't needed any longer.

You could use the Create-Point-Position-Relative function with a Polar direction so the Data Entry Shortcuts would be available but I haven't worked that out yet. HTH cheers.gif